Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

High Noon Drifter Katana add-on (advice gained! thank you!))

I previously posted a vid on Doom General with a basic no-effort sprite change to the whip on High Noon Drifter with demonsteele's katana sprites, I liked the result but it lacked a particular cohesion. So I decided to edit some more, add the player's hands on the sword and adjust the sword to do a proper swing animation as well the positioning of the arm and finished it with this. I'm even planning to change the boomerang to a meat hook or a sickle.

So I'm wondering if I should ask for the original mod author's permission to upload an edited version of his mod and share it with others or just credit all of the people who worked on the original mod.

Here's the new preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6PvIK3HL3o&feature=youtu.be

Edited by HellVain

11 minutes ago, HellVain said:

I'd ask TerminusEst13 first, I'm sure he'll be ok with it. Tbh though, I don't think I've ever seen an addon for any of his mods.

Edit: Actually I remember seeing Dinosaur Nerd post a modded version of HND and he said he got permission from Term to include link but warned he wouldn't update his version anytime soon. In case you were wondering, the modded version included western themed monsters:)

Edited by Beezle : One came to mind

1 minute ago, Beezle said:

I'd ask TerminusEst13 first, I'm sure he'll be ok with it. Tbh though, I don't think I've ever seen an addon for any of his mods.

exactly, that's why I'm worried that I'd get the ire of the modding community because I didn't ask someone if I could edit their mods.

Could you make it into a true add-on, rather than an edited version of the original?  If you do it that way, you don't need his permission, but it would still be nice to have his blessing.

6 hours ago, Empyre said:

Could you make it into a true add-on, rather than an edited version of the original?  If you do it that way, you don't need his permission, but it would still be nice to have his blessing.

I don't really know how to do that, but the file size is pretty small compared to other add-ons like project brutality. This is literally my first doom "mod" made with slade.

I put quotes there because it's not really my mod, I just edited it. No code was changed

All you changed was some sprites, and maybe sounds?  Make a wad with just the sprites and sounds you changed, and a CREDITS lump telling who made them, and another lump called README or WADINFO that tells what it is for and how to use it.  When you load your new wad after High Noon Drifter, your wad's sprites and sounds will override the built-in ones.  It would be best to name your wad so it is obvious that it is an add-on for High Noon Drifter.

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

All you changed was some sprites, and maybe sounds?  Make a wad with just the sprites and sounds you changed, and a CREDITS lump telling who made them, and another lump called README or WADINFO that tells what it is for and how to use it.  When you load your new wad after High Noon Drifter, your wad's sprites and sounds will override the built-in ones.  It would be best to name your wad so it is obvious that it is an add-on for High Noon Drifter.

I'm gonna try that and do some tests. Thank you

On 2/2/2019 at 7:42 PM, HellVain said:

So I'm wondering if I should ask for the original mod author's permission to upload an edited version of his mod

I don't really mind. Please go right ahead.

Congratulations on your first mod. I'm flattered you used my little project as a base. Hopefully you make many, many more.

10 hours ago, TerminusEst13 said:

I don't really mind. Please go right ahead.

Congratulations on your first mod. I'm flattered you used my little project as a base. Hopefully you make many, many more.

Thanks! It really means a lot that you replied to this thread. I was gonna send you a pm on zdoom forums.

And yeah, im now trying to learn zscripts and map making so hopefully soon I'll be like you guys. Though I wouldn't go as far as calling is a mod, just an edit.

You go keep on making those amazing gameplay mods, your mods and combine_kegan's became an inspiration to me to make mods myself.