Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
explorix

Will Eternal be released on Steam for sure, thanks to... THIS?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1743358239849378663/

So Metro Exodus is going to be Epic Store exclusive. It remains to be seen if that store can become a new player, given

the mostly negative reactions to that move.

I do wonder what this means about Eternal. All signs point to a Bethesda exclusive, but I think this Epic Store thing is gonna

decide whether thats gonna happen or not. Bethesda may not risk an outrage like this (if the people complaining on steam

are actually not gonna buy the game, which is doubtful, given that videogames seem to be a very important part of many

peoples live).

On the other hand, EA have done it, Ubi have done it. Can Epic do it again and force people to buy on their own store?

Will Bethesda force us as well? Oh man, February is gonna be exciting :))))

Also Metro Exodus will remain Epic Store exclusive til February 14th 2020 LOL

Considering that after all this time there's still no sign of Eternal going to be available on Steam, it probably won't happen after all.

15 minutes ago, explorix said:

if the people complaining on steam are actually not gonna buy the game, which is doubtful

Also many people there are morons, for all sorts of reasons (look at MK11's hub for instance), and they usually go back on their work regardless of how much and how hard they complain. It's safe to ignore that place at this point and look for other, more reliable and less toxic places.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:24 PM, seed said:

Considering that after all this time there's still no sign of Eternal going to be available on Steam, it probably won't happen after all.

Also many people there are morons, for all sorts of reasons (look at MK11's hub for instance), and they usually go back on their work regardless of how much and how hard they complain. It's safe to ignore that place at this point and look for other, more reliable and less toxic places.

Its definitely a very toxic place, but thats not the point I tried to make. Im more interested in seeing if it is really possible to force consumers to use another 2 launchers. Epic is getting a lot of exclusives, like the Division 2 besides Metro and at least Metro seems to be quite a popular game. If they really manage to make this work, I think 2 things are gonna happen:

Bethesda will publish their games exclusively on bethesda.net and Valve will be forced in the near future to lower their 30 percent cut to something reasonable.

I also wonder if this whole use-OUR-launcher-thing is the drop that finally brings this thing to overflow, just like Battlefront IIs lootboxes or the good old do-you-guys-not-have-phones? thing from Activision. Many AAA releases from major publishers have seen a steady decline in quality and originality and the change in the business models from creating good games to DLCs and finally to lootboxes havent done anything good in my opinion.

My personal million dollar questions for 2019 are these:

Will consumers finally get better games and terms of use instead of renting boring-mechanics-with-new-graphics games?

Is the Rise of the Indies finally coming?

We really live in interesting times :)

Valve is pretty much facing competition at this point with GOG and so on, therefore my guess is, it will soon be time for them to do something in order to become attractive to the consumers as opposed to "use Steam because everything is there". I wouldn't be surprised if lowering their cut is going to be one of the first measures.

As for microtransactions, they are a plague that needs to go. From my POV, they are never justified if you paid for the game. If it was a free game it would be understandable to have purely cosmetic MTX, especially if it's MP.

Launchers? I don't know, thing is, it isn't a bad thing that each developer/publisher wants to have their own platform, but their numbers seem to simply be on the rise and that just needlessly complicates the whole process. It was nice to have all your games in one place. For me personally, it hasn't reached the point where I'm basically forced to use a million launchers, simply because I don't have interest in most games that are on them. Sure, Doom Eternal and Metro are games that interest me, however, I just don't have a PC strong enough to play them, so there would be no point in getting them only to stare at my library.

Rise of indie games? No idea, but as long as the majority is still fine with what the big publishers throw at them we won't see the tide finally turning.

With Xbox One getting mouse and KB support, there will be almost no reason to suffer with the Bethesda launcher on PC if the game gets sacked with it. Of course if the game ends up having mtx, I will skip it altogether, however much it will hurt my soul to have to do so.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

With Xbox One getting mouse and KB support

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that huge deal. With something like that on the Xbox I won't have much incentive to play on PC soon enough.

There is nothing wrong in publishers providing their own store launchers per se (infact it is actually good for devs/publishers as Valve takes 1/3 of the profit for sale of each copy on steam). The problem comes when the quality of those launchers and the services is not on par with that of steam. And then there is the fact that people just don't want to have dozens of launchers on their pc as they bog down the CPU/RAM when running in the background.

47 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Of course if the game ends up having mtx, I will skip it altogether, however much it will hurt my soul to have to do so.

Atleast I am 99% sure it won't have those (no 100% guarantee tho).

5 hours ago, seed said:

Valve is pretty much facing competition at this point with GOG and so on, therefore my guess is, it will soon be time for them to do something in order to become attractive to the consumers as opposed to "use Steam because everything is there". I wouldn't be surprised if lowering their cut is going to be one of the first measures.

I hope so, it will mean more good games will come to Steam, if they remain the most attractive store for devs and publishers. Thats just what Epic is trying now, instead of taking 30 percent, they take 12 percent.

As for microtransactions, they are a plague that needs to go. From my POV, they are never justified if you paid for the game. If it was a free game it would be understandable to have purely cosmetic MTX, especially if it's MP.

Lets see what EA did with Anthem once it releases, but given its EA, Id say its time to close down Bioware...

Launchers? I don't know, thing is, it isn't a bad thing that each developer/publisher wants to have their own platform, but their numbers seem to simply be on the rise and that just needlessly complicates the whole process. It was nice to have all your games in one place. For me personally, it hasn't reached the point where I'm basically forced to use a million launchers, simply because I don't have interest in most games that are on them. Sure, Doom Eternal and Metro are games that interest me, however, I just don't have a PC strong enough to play them, so there would be no point in getting them only to stare at my library.

Sure its not per se a bad thing, but for example the Epic Store has no rating system. Steam reviews and ratings are somewhat accurate Id say. Personal opinions always matter, but I can relate to most reviews and ratings so far. And thanks to them I also avoided some games I really wanted to play, like "The Dark Occult" (some oldschool First Person Horrorgame) and also "Underworld Ascendant" (The spiritual Successor of Ultima Underworld, developed by Ex Ion Storm Devs and Warren Spector himself, which ended up being a Kickstarter Scam just like Mighty No. 9).

Rise of indie games? No idea, but as long as the majority is still fine with what the big publishers throw at them we won't see the tide finally turning.

Well I didnt mean that they will overtake the market, but rather surprise a lot of people with good games. I really like Ion Maiden even if it hasnt seen a full release yet. (EDIT: Be sure to check out the lastest update, The House of Horror. What a cool level) Also that upcoming DOOM16-like game looks awesome (cant remember the name though).

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

With Xbox One getting mouse and KB support, there will be almost no reason to suffer with the Bethesda launcher on PC if the game gets sacked with it. Of course if the game ends up having mtx, I will skip it altogether, however much it will hurt my soul to have to do so.

Well but Consoles are a) consoles... and b) the framerates will be capped. I dont think that they can ever give the same experience as on a PC. Even more on a Rig you proudly built yourself. Also, at least in my country, console games are always 20 to 30 dollars more expensive. Thats quite the turn off for me.

I bloody well hope so.

In fact, it's probably economically counterproductive to release exclusively on Bethesda's launcher, because by the looks of things, a lot of PC players will simply not buy the game if that happens - a number that could potentially be over 30% (or 20%, considering Eternal is a triple-A game, it would probably receive Steam's triple-A deal). Me included, and Doom Eternal would probably end up being my favourite game of all time at release, like Doom 2016 has been since I first played it in 2017.

21 minutes ago, explorix said:

Well but Consoles are a) consoles... and b) the framerates will be capped. I dont think that they can ever give the same experience as on a PC. Even more on a Rig you proudly built yourself. Also, at least in my country, console games are always 20 to 30 dollars more expensive. Thats quite the turn off for me.

Yeah, console games are definitely more expensive here too, and there's the monthly subscription fee on top of it. But, at least I know that with a console I will always be able to play the games and will never have to worry about hardware or software issues.

And as I keep stressing that advantage, no system requirements. I am never going to build or buy a 1000$ PC, even though such a powerful machine will indeed be useful for many other things, not exclusively gaming. And then to upgrade it every few years... It is unlikely consoles will ever be as powerful as PCs, but they don't have to be. High end PCs are expensive and not everyone can afford that luxury, although one could argue that there's monthly fees you have to pay for consoles in addition to games being more expensive (at least if you're buying them in physical format) so overall, console gaming might turn out to be just as expensive, if not even more so. Anyway, their goal is to provide a good or at least a decent experience while also being affordable.

Valve has clearly gotten way to comfortable. This is healthy. It's really annoying to split up Libraries but steam continues to turn into such a shit fest valve really needs a wake up call. Steam seems to be a hostile place for pc games as market oversaturation continues, the sales on steam stop a lot of people from buying games unless heavily discounted, systems on steam that allow for review bombing. They got away with it because they had what is basically a monopoly on the market for quite some time now, it's annoying, but it's unhealthy to continue like this.

5 hours ago, explorix said:

Lets see what EA did with Anthem once it releases, but given its EA, Id say its time to close down Bioware...

As someone who is excited for Anthem I say lets not? all the micro transactions for anthem are cosmetics only, and story dlc will be free as to not split the player base. I don't see microtransactions as the blight as many see them, mainly because it's up to the developers on to implement them responsibly if they have them, which sadly many do not. It's certainly a complicated subject where a lot of bad eggs can be found. I feel like developers should be rewarded for the work that they do, but many companies down right extort and make it a dangerous and predatory process. I'v got a lot of mixed feelings about it.

11 hours ago, explorix said:

Is the Rise of the Indies finally coming?

It already came, it's never been easier to make a game and release it on major platforms. Problem is now oversaturation.

Even if it didn't get on Steam due to Steam's high platforming fees, there are other alternatives they could've used such as GOG and Epic's Launcher.

19 hours ago, explorix said:

Sure its not per se a bad thing, but for example the Epic Store has no rating system. Steam reviews and ratings are somewhat accurate Id say. Personal opinions always matter, but I can relate to most reviews and ratings so far. And thanks to them I also avoided some games I really wanted to play, like "The Dark Occult" (some oldschool First Person Horrorgame) and also "Underworld Ascendant" (The spiritual Successor of Ultima Underworld, developed by Ex Ion Storm Devs and Warren Spector himself, which ended up being a Kickstarter Scam just like Mighty No. 9).

^This. And lets not forget the refund policy, which is extremely crucial. I have not tried Bethesda's launcher but I have heard that they don't provide refund. That just sucks.

19 hours ago, explorix said:

Also that upcoming DOOM16-like game looks awesome (cant remember the name though).

Do u mean Prodeus?

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

^This. And lets not forget the refund policy, which is extremely crucial. I have not tried Bethesda's launcher but I have heard that they don't provide refund. That just sucks.

But don't forget Steam didn't provide refunds for a very, very long time. Refunds are something relatively recent.

Am I the only one that doesn't really care about launchers? Loading up Battle.net or the Xbox app takes the same amount of time and effort as loading Steam (actually the Xbox app is much quicker), so why should I favor Steam?

Granted I mostly use launchers as just glorified auto-updaters for my games, but I honestly don't care which launcher sits behind my game. I'd rather no launcher at all, but if I have to, any will do.

1 hour ago, seed said:

But don't forget Steam didn't provide refunds for a very, very long time. Refunds are something relatively recent.

Yes. But since Steam now provides this facility, people would like other clients to provide this facility too.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:19 PM, Bauul said:

Am I the only one that doesn't really care about launchers? Loading up Battle.net or the Xbox app takes the same amount of time and effort as loading Steam (actually the Xbox app is much quicker), so why should I favor Steam?

Granted I mostly use launchers as just glorified auto-updaters for my games, but I honestly don't care which launcher sits behind my game. I'd rather no launcher at all, but if I have to, any will do.

I don't like the way that having a few launchers takes up more system resources than just one or two, but my machine can handle it. I'll just spare a thought for those PC users with less Gucci rigs.

7 hours ago, NoXion said:

I don't like the way that having a few launchers takes up more system resources than just one or two

Launchers hardly take up much file space compared to the games they run. Other than that, how does having multiple launchers installed take up more resources than just one? Unless you're running them simultaneously, but I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to do that regularly. 

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

Launchers hardly take up much file space compared to the games they run. Other than that, how does having multiple launchers installed take up more resources than just one? Unless you're running them simultaneously, but I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to do that regularly. 

I usually auto start all launchers. Why? Because I want to start a game instantly without having to look for the corresponding launcher.

40 minutes ago, igg said:

I usually auto start all launchers. Why? Because I want to start a game instantly without having to look for the corresponding launcher.

Then make a shortcut? Or pin it to the taskbar or start menu? Hell, you can find it with the search bar in just a matter of seconds. It's not rocket science.

Also. most of the controversy is because people was waiting and  pre-order Metro when Steam made the pre-order advailable, but then Metro was out of the steam market and the dev's talked about how is now exclusive to Epic Store.

For myself, i don't care for the launcher, but I care for regional Pricing, in steam, our $ is on a regional equivalent for our income, so my 60$ Games, are listed as my mexican $ so is equivalent, but on EPIC 60$ are 60$ so i'm need to make out more money to get the equivalent in real dolars to buy it. 

They fix that and im sure to buy on any launcher.

i dont get why people are angry that devs and publishers want to use more than one platform, if i made a game that costs tens of thousands and thousands of hours i wouldn't want lord Gaben to be taking 30% i applaud metro for moving over and then in return passing along the saving to us, the consumer. i think having multiple stores is a good thing, im no fortnite fan but epic are doing a good job shaking up a very stale pc subculture. 

I can also see epic doing a game pass similar to Xbox and to that extend kinda like netflix - where you pay a monthly fee and just play whatever you want.

As a consumer I want maximum convenience with most benefits, that's obvious. Steam is my preferance for those reasons. In a business prospective I think steam is brilliant with their exit barriers such as achievements, card trading economy, massive number of games, universally understood policies, news centre, known for big sales, active (albeit toxic) forums, community groups etc. Valve is laughing all the way to the bank.

In a game industry prospective Steam needs competition or at least negotiate the % with companies to be a win/win on both sides. However that's "effort" for valve and it would bring a plethora of questionable situations such as little indie developers having no power vs the AAA companies. Alternatively, different platforms and if the games are good enough people will install the launchers. They will lose some sales sure, but not 30% overall profit!

Basically life would be better for me if everything is on steam but I firmly believe there shouldn't be a monopoly on anything. And yeah I think Doom Eternal will be on Bethesda launcher only, it's their opportunity to get people to install it for future games.

6 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Also. most of the controversy is because people was waiting and  pre-order Metro when Steam made the pre-order advailable, but then Metro was out of the steam market and the dev's talked about how is now exclusive to Epic Store.

For myself, i don't care for the launcher, but I care for regional Pricing, in steam, our $ is on a regional equivalent for our income, so my 60$ Games, are listed as my mexican $ so is equivalent, but on EPIC 60$ are 60$ so i'm need to make out more money to get the equivalent in real dolars to buy it. 

They fix that and im sure to buy on any launcher.

they just announced regional pricing. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/more-regional-pricing-options-added?fbclid=IwAR3aZ6mn6r0E9le0Gdt4Y3h9EZBBar6GR7UkcFs0wXUYSc1I4xUvSgEbpOM

I was just talking about the epic launcher. I'v doubts we'll see doom go on epic and not steam, but who knows at this point. with how things are shaking up it seems like a lot of companies are avoiding steam right now. It's pretty interesting seeing this play out.

>we registered on "Slayer's Club" with bethesda accounts

>zombie doomguy skin is tied to those accounts

>bethesda account opens beth.net launcher

hmmm....   interesting. Will see how this turns out but i don't think it will be an exclusive to beth.net given bethesda's current loose footing with fallout seventyshit

Maybe those of us with steam accounts can petition to give fairer splits to developers (indy developer's included). I like steam, especially with its ability to review, but taking 30% is way too much. And their compromise of having more sales getting you a better cut is not fair to the indy developers.