Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chezza

Doom Eternal won't have Snapmap

I would love to see snapmap return one day with improved capabilities and good rating system

Maybe when Doom Eternal releases, we may see one final update for Snapmap (and probably all of D4, being the final update before full focus on DE post-launch).

Tis a dream, though.....

For now, we'll just have to look for some damn good snapmaps like Antivirus, or just make majesties ourselves.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:47 PM, Quasar said:

Yeah, it's crazy that the DLC content from the last 2 packs still isn't usable in it.

Such as a playable Spectre and Cacodemon and the last two weapons (already pointed that out in my list of flaws, which nobody seems to have noticed). I would've loved plowing through AI demons as a Spectre or flying around modules as a Cacodemon. As for the Reaper and GL, all they have to do is increase the maximum weapons to 17.

I don't care. I loved the concept, but that's about it. I found Snapmaps really boring and generic.

Guest MIND
On 10/31/2018 at 2:22 AM, intx said:

I don't care. I loved the concept, but that's about it. I found Snapmaps really boring and generic.

That's because the features were extremley limited and they only cared about graphics. Nobody gives a shit about building an easy game to last for years to come when they can milk the online for so much profit like GTA 5. It's always "MUH GRAPHICS", MUH MICROTRANSACTIONS, etc.

Wishing right now that the devs of Id are reading our pleas and are secretly working on one final Snapmap update. We're Marty approved, right? T_T

On 9/21/2018 at 10:31 PM, Dragonfly said:

wow how entitled are YOU???????

entitled? perhaps you have become accostumed to how shitty modern gaming is. fuck these guys, their prefab joke "editor", and their 12 max revenants bs.

7 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

fuck these guys, their prefab joke "editor", and their 12 max revenants bs

Are you sure you won't say, "Fuck their editor, it's too complex to work with." later? And are you sure that you won't say, "This Snapmap makes my Computer explode?" later? LOL.

There's a good reason for why Snapmap is prefab based. No one would be able to make a enjoyable mapset without a decades work and within a reasonable time. And there's a very good reason for why it is limited to 12 monsters; the map would be very slow to play through and you would suffer from high memory/CPU usage.

12 active AIs at a time, not globally for the whole map. You have to use the spawning triggers properly to create wave-based encounters, like in the campaign everybody was so wild about. It's quite effective when used properly.

The campaign does a splendid job of making it feel like there's more going on then their really is. I think the rare exception is when picking up the bfg for the first time, but as those a simple zombies, I assume this is doable due to how little they do. as for "shitty modern gaming", is comically ignorant at best. 

I can't help but, in the back of my head, think sinister motives when id Software announces they're replacing a free community driven editor with just paid for DLC. Like such a thing was brought on by Zenimax to ensure, if people want extra content, they have to pay extra. May seem a bit cynical but Bethesda and Zenimax haven't proven overly generous in their actions.

You're trolling. If in case you aren't, when you pump a large amount of resources into something and it ultimately fails, why waist energy on it instead of working on features people constantly request. Arcade mode was free, and they made all of their dlc free, kinda the most generous thing a developer can do, so 1/10.

14 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

they made all of their dlc free, kinda the most generous thing a developer can do

That's actually a pretty good point.

Sure, it was originally paid DLC, but how many devs integrate it into the base game at basically no charge and without pumping out a Deluxe re-release in the meantime? That was generous and completely unexpected.

SnapMap may or may not have been better than people give it credit, but it took a while to get where it is today and by that time many stopped caring about it, just wanting a continuation of the story instead. It might be a bit disappointing to see id ditch it completely, but the demand to keep it simply wasn't high enough.

1 hour ago, seed said:

That's actually a pretty good point.

Sure, it was originally paid DLC, but how many devs integrate it into the base game at basically no charge and without pumping out a Deluxe re-release in the meantime? That was generous and completely unexpected.

SnapMap may or may not have been better than people give it credit, but it took a while to get where it is today and by that time many stopped caring about it, just wanting a continuation of the story instead. It might be a bit disappointing to see id ditch it completely, but the demand to keep it simply wasn't high enough.

I remember people complaining on Steam about the DLC becoming free. You just can't please the modern consumer sometimes.

1 hour ago, TakenStew22 said:

I remember people complaining on Steam about the DLC becoming free. You just can't please the modern consumer sometimes.

You can never please everyone.

No matter what you do, people will always find something to complain about.

Edited by seed

5 hours ago, MrGlide said:

You're trolling. If in case you aren't, when you pump a large amount of resources into something and it ultimately fails, why waist energy on it instead of working on features people constantly request. Arcade mode was free, and they made all of their dlc free, kinda the most generous thing a developer can do, so 1/10.

That's not who I'm concerned about, I'm concerned about Bethesda and/or Zenimax forcing things down their throat. If you think they can't, RAGE 2 now requires the Bethesda Launcher so they're not above stringing in garbage to id Software's own titles. I can't help but have concern. The devs don't decide how things roll, the publishers do.

where it comes out, and if something gets funded, from my understanding is what Bethesda decides. it's been fairly boasted about the freedom the dev teams have in doing what they have faith and excitement for, it's why so many of them are still able to make single player games in the format that they are. Look at EA and Activision, both intensively profit driven companies. Single player games don't turn even close to a similar profit as multiplayer-games as a service - lootbox- athons. I mean ya, if the game gets launched on the Bethesda launcher that's their call, but there are worse problems to have.

Do you really think id was just like, fuck what Bethesda says, we're giving away shit for free bitches!

lol my bet, they didn't expect Multiplayer to flop so bad so they made the DLCs free.

Edited by sluggard

On 2/5/2019 at 4:15 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

And there's a very good reason for why it is limited to 12 monsters; the map would be very slow to play through and you would suffer from high memory/CPU usage.

Doom 2016's main singleplayer campaign regularly exceeds 12 simultaneous demons at once. This is most obvious during the classic map secrets which, even in their original 1993 iterations, routinely exceeded 12 monsters at any time. The 12 demon limit in Snapmap is arbitrary.

It's probably to cover their bases in terms of how much complexity the player can add at any one time. Keep in mind that you can make Snapmaps that consist of very complex Modern Doom type bases as well, in addition to filling them with scripts and decore. The limit is probably in an attempt to make sure consoles wouldn't get overwhelmed.

Yes 12 monster limits can prevent some creativity and slaughtermap style maps in addition enforce extra scripting to make it seem seamless but the way Doom 2016 operates vs Classic is entirely different.

12 monsters in Doom 2016 is more deadly and engaging than 12 of classic. Also turret monsters are barely supported. It can be forced in Snapmap in a way though.

Edited by Chezza

We're in a technological transitional period right now where the potential for a deep, complex mapping environment for a modern game won't be viable to the consumer market until we see the development of intuitive AI assistants. Since building things from scratch will remain an insurmountable task for most, a smart modular system that can be dissected and altered down to a very small scale is what we really need, and that will be a clunky system without an AI to talk to. 

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

We're in a technological transitional period right now where the potential for a deep, complex mapping environment for a modern game won't be viable to the consumer market until we see the development of intuitive AI assistants. Since building things from scratch will remain an insurmountable task for most, a smart modular system that can be dissected and altered down to a very small scale is what we really need, and that will be a clunky system without an AI to talk to. 

I can't wait for the day where I can just think something and it magically (within a video game world) appears!!  Ill probably be a few hundred years old when that comes however.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:16 PM, Zemini said:

I can't wait for the day where I can just think something and it magically (within a video game world) appears!!  Ill probably be a few hundred years old when that comes however.

Don't be so sure. Starting in the 2010s, neural networks--which had been in development for decades--suddenly became very useful, thanks to increases in computing power. More than likely, the 2020s will see the development of AI assistants that will initially be very rudimentary, and by the end of the decade will be a major part of design. I suspect that the next Doom game, whatever is after "Eternal," might be where we see the first hints of something like this.