Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Event Horizon, watched it some time ago, but that was an amazing movie.
A ship opening a wormhole and paying a visit to hell, sounds like a plot for a Doom wad but it's deserving of a cult following.

Mad Max: Fury Road, seen it already, but can't get enough of it.

Life, Surprisingly entertaining, pretty sure I'll watch it again someday.

I watched WALL-E for the first time last night. It's been recommended to me for years, even by people who know I'm not a huge Disney or Pixar fan. I really enjoyed it, definitely my favorite Pixar movie. And I don't really care Pixar or most animated movies all that much. Incredibles was decent enough, Moana was enjoyable. But WALL-E has a special depressing charm to it, and even though it had a "happy ending" I can't imagine all those people that have been living as helpless babies for the last 700 years are ever going to get Earth working again. I guess the people who thought that I'd like it know just how cynical I am. But yeah, I thought it was pretty good, and different from the movies I usually watch.

Oh, and it didn't have a bunch of people talking and singing constantly. Even as a kid I never liked all the singing in Disney movies. I liked the movies, not the songs.

RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET is something I really enjoyed and I enjoyed the first one too. In a lot of ways it's like Ready Player One, but funny and less annoying. If you watched the first for the video game characters, turn right around and walk away. It's very limited to brief cameos from 80s arcade characters, Sonic and Street Fighter. The movie made use of its own characters from the first and introduced other fictional characters to great affect.

Instead of nostalgia characters for little boys, it has nostalgia characters for little girls by way of Disney Princesses. All of them. Literally. That's not even a spoiler, that's a highlight and a selling point. All these princesses were both themselves and parodies that used everything about themselves to great comedic affect. I never expected to see this, so I ended up watching a few "professional reviewers" that saw it as a soulless cash in of a sequel, I see it more of either a father / boyfriend who wants to be stuck at home having to accept his daughter / friend wanting to move on to bigger and better things like going from the kids games to the teen games (or college).

AMERICAN MADE with Tom Cruise is another crime drama I enjoyed, but the older I get, the more I realize Tom Cruise is rarely in a bad movie, even if I never go out of my way to see them. Although the Mummy was bad and probably his worst movie I've seen in the past decade. Anyway... Tom plays a drug runner, CIA gun runner, Presidential pardoned pilot. The baffling thing is that it's based on a true story from the late 70s - the mid 80s. It has touches of comedy. His trophy wife can't communicate without saying "fucking," and I'm shocked her dumbass brother hasn't become a meme for being an 80s level of moron with a fugly looking gremlin (car not the other 80s gremlin). In fact, the movie itself, despite being a crime drama, felt like it could have been a black comedy. His wife is okay with his drug running, everything wrong that can happen, does, but higher ups are okay with it while lower levels of law enforcement are pissed off at it. Get caught for drug running and bailed out? Here let's make your operation bigger... why? Because we don't have anyone else. Here's something about Tom Cruise movies at this point. He's starting to look bigger now that he's 55+ and starting to look his age, but they still pair him up with actresses in their 20s or mid 30s. Then again, an old Tom Cruise still looks far younger than an old anyone else. Dying your thick hair black will do that for ya.

DUNKIRK is less of a war movie and more of an escape from war movie. It's perhaps the only World War 2 movie devoid of Nazis. Sure the Germans are mentioned, the Germans are shooting, but beyond German bombers and fighters, no Germans are actually seen. It's a very serine movie full of beautiful vistas as it ties 3 stories together. Two survivors trying to get across the English channel, two or three fighters in the air as they defend the water, and a civilian vessel among dozens that are there to rescue troops because the Germans are destroying everything big.

Edited by geo

I just watched Scarface and now I see why it was so highly regarded, I don't know why I never saw it sooner.

I watched Re-animator for the first time ever, mainly because I love Jeffrey Combs acting. This year i plan to watch everything he has been in

Lethal Weapon 2 - really fun, funny, good villains, great chemistry between the leads, and above all, good action scenes. Better than the first, IMO.

Last night I rewatched Mulan. The last time I saw it was definitely on the theater, and I have to say it holds up really nice. The animation looks very good for a 20 year old movie. The comedy is well executed and it does feels ahead of its time in dealing with the female lead dynamic.

Only thing I felt was off was the montage in act 2. Mulan just becomes a kick-ass good soldier just by singing a song and well, it pulled me out of the story.

4 out of 5.

9 hours ago, BadLuckBurt said:

I watched Re-animator for the first time ever, mainly because I love Jeffrey Combs acting. This year i plan to watch everything he has been in

I saw that for the first time a few years ago. I love the crazy logic behind the movie. Well reanimating them to a "normal" state didn't work because they're not fresh enough. Time to get some fresher corpses! Oh and yes I watched for Jeffrey Combs too... mostly the Star Trek thing. Dude has had 7 characters throughout all the series.

2 hours ago, geo said:

I saw that for the first time a few years ago. I love the crazy logic behind the movie. Well reanimating them to a "normal" state didn't work because they're not fresh enough. Time to get some fresher corpses! Oh and yes I watched for Jeffrey Combs too... mostly the Star Trek thing. Dude has had 7 characters throughout all the series.

The film is awesome, took me back to the videos i used to rent on VHS. I first saw him in Star Trek DS9 and decided I should catch up on his work

17 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I just watched Scarface and now I see why it was so highly regarded, I don't know why I never saw it sooner.

Which one? Because this is IMO even more true of the 1932 version as it is of the 1983 one ...

Carrie (2013) I think I prefer the original. That said maybe I should read the book and then watch both movies to have a better judgement on which one is better.

The Wizard of Lies. Pretty good performances, but it doesn't really shed any new insight into the life of Bernie Madoff. It's alright, but I didn't really learn anything that I didn't already know.

The Exterminator (1980) - wow, not a good film at all. I watched an interview with director James Glickenhaus where he said that he intentionally didn't watch the original Death Wish (a far superior film, btw) so he wouldn't copy it, but even so, the similarities are evident. On top of that, it feels that the film is just an excuse for violent scenes. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit if a film's really violent, or gory, or profane, as long as it works in the narrative, and is, of course, there for a reason. In The Exterminator, these scenes seem pointlessly nasty. On top of that, there seems to be a lot of editing problems in the movie: for example, about fifteen minutes in, the main guy (played by Robert Ginty) is chatting with the wife of his recently-paralysed mate; then the scene immediately cuts to him threatening a mugger with a makeshift flamethrower. Remember, this is about fifteen to twenty minutes into the film, and from here on out, Ginty's a fully-fledged vigilante.

Unlike Death Wish, which gave its main character a good forty-five minutes to develop, this movie seems super impatient to get to the "good" (i.e., sadistic) bits that it throws character development out of the window. Oh yeah, the police / CIA subplot is thrown in for the hell of it.

Not recommended.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:31 AM, Avoozl said:

It's a classic movie for sure, and well deserving of its reputation and hype. That and The Departed are my two favorite gangster movies.

Year of the Dragon (1985) - this is actually the first Michael Cimino film I've seen in its entirety. Not too bad; Mickey Rourke gives a (as usual) great performance as a bigoted (?) police officer, the pacing is tight, the action is hard-hitting, brutal and exhilarating, and it truly shines due to its raw honesty. Recommended to crime/action film fans.

Rewatched Dog Soldiers (2002) - honestly, this film is growing to become one of my all time favourites. The action, the gore, the suspense, the humour (oh God, the humour!!!), the characters, the chemistry, the music (especially "Sarge's Theme")… it's just so fucking good! It is perhaps my favourite action-horror film.

Just watched "The Fifth Element" and was pleasantly surprised with how interesting and creative the world they built was.

Before these movies get lost in the shuffle that is the assembly line of my entertainment experience... here are a lot of mini reviews:

OCEANS 8 with Sandra Birdbox seemed like the least amount of acting I've seen from so many people involved. This had to be fun to film and that didn't seem to translate well into the movie. It was a comedy / jewelry heist movie, it just wasn't laugh out loud so much as I knew yes they are saying and doing funny things. I've seen the 3 previous Oceans movies, and I had to see this one, since my cousin was so bored of it she walked out of the theater when she saw it. The movie has by far one of the happiest endings I've ever seen. Like mind blowing, implausibly happy.

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES is something I gave it 15 minutes... CGI characters talking and I just couldn't get into it, so I went to something else. I saw the one with the first talking ape and that was awesome. I saw the previous movie and that was fair, and this might be where I jump off the train. Too dark to see much of anything, the apes are the heroes instead of humans.

THE COMMUTER with Liam Niesson was far, far better than it had a right to be if you boil it down to Liam Niesson on a train, but the twist is the question, we're giving you $25,000 to find this person on this train carrying a bag and another $75,000 for doing so. It's a mystery / crime drama / conspiracy movie. For such a simple movie, it had recognizable faces and that always helps. I know the name sure didn't help.

ATOMIC BLONDE is something I hated, but on the plus side, I wondered how they did a lot of the scenes. If you love sex and violence this movie is for you. I hated it, because it's the driest delivery I've seen in a movie. There's nudity, there's a lesbian sex scene and some brutal fight scenes. Brutal and yet I spent a lot of the movie wondering how they did the fight scenes. The fight scenes appeared to be one long take from the same camera. It's reminiscent of a horror movie that appeared to be one long take, where no, it was 5 long takes. The plot was dull. The acting was emotionless. The colors were drab in the outside world, while the inside world was drenched in 80s neon.

SUPER TROOPERS 2 is something I enjoyed more than the original... because I hated the original. I tend to hate the movies from these guys. There's just something about them that I just don't like. Maybe I'm not stoner or drunk enough to enjoy the movies.

LIFE OF THE PARTY with Melissa McCarthy is a movie I watched because Hulu told me it was popular. McCarthy plays an annoying mom going to college for a final year with her daughter. McCarthy's character was tailor made to be the annoying one with heart as a fish out of water 40 year old goes to college. It felt like everyone around her was actually funny and had heart.

THE HIT MAN'S BODYGUARD is some kind of gem of an action comedy. I laughed at the comedy, and it's a great action movie / crime drama starring Ryan Renolds as Dead Pool's nicer brother and Sam Jackson's an assassin that needs to be protected. Basically a buddy movie with two guys that hate one another. One is all offense and the other is all defense. Ryan's voice sounds so narrow like it's a fake voice for comedic effect, but nope that's just his voice.

I'll go best to worst: The Commuter, the Hit Man's Bodyguard, Oceans 8, Life of the Party, Super Troopers 2, War for the Planet of the Apes, Atomic Blonde

Mortal Kombat and Dr No.

I admit, I've actually enjoyed the MK movie, it was pretty fun and unashamedly over-the-top :v . But Raiden, I still don't know what to make of his voice, why a dry, loud whisper, I don't know. Reptile was another interesting character, how they literally turned him into a lizard inhabiting bodies, and Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick totally made my day.

For the first time, I watched Blue Jean Cop (or Shakedown in the US). This is another James Glickenhaus film. I'm happy to say that this is much better than The Exterminator. This one has way more going for it: good chemistry between the leads, entertaining (if unremarkable) action scenes, and a decent soundtrack. However, the ending is pretty "meh" (as is that case with a lot of Glickenhaus' movies, apparently) and the villains aren't particularly memorable.

However, all-in-all, a pretty decent 80s action flick.

THE NETFLIX FIRE FESTIVAL DOCUMENTARY was totally different from the Hulu Fire Festival Documentary. This one didn't explain much and it jumped around the timeline so it was less easy to follow. Plus it didn't interview the man behind Fire Festival (Billy) like the Hulu documentary did. It ended with letting people know it wasn't just influences and rich people that got scammed, it was the owner's employees that were scammed. It also has gems like the explanation of the gay events director explaining Billy called him saying you're our gay captain, you need to go suck the literal dick of the head of Bahamas customs to get them to release our imported bottled water. How that dude was ready to do it too... because you know $100,000 in customs money for your country and career versus having your dick sucked by a grey haired man. Another gem was after the failed event, Billy told the staff of his company he wouldn't be paying them, but he wouldn't be firing them or laying them off... so they can't file for unemployment. Other than that, the Hulu documentary was far better.

THE UPSIDE with Kevin Hart and Brian Cranson. What a lame name. Anyway, it's a good movie for a terrible topic. Quadriplegic needs to get the drive to live again and in the same way a dead beat ex con too needs to get his drive to live again and be a better person. This all hinges on money. Great cast. It's not a comedy, but it has two comedians and funny things are said. If anything it's the long awkward tragedy of being a paraplegic punctuated with moments of laughter. You need to have moments so low to get laughs so high. It is uplifting and interestingly enough the trailers were for uplifting movies that I can't imagine doing well in theaters. Kid trapped under the ice for 15 minutes saved by a miracle. 1950s black school gets shut down so a woman must fight the white school president who is also the local klan president.

THE UPSIDE vs THE ESCAPE ROOM are the two latest movies I saw in theaters... Escape Room cost 9 million made 96 million. The Upside cost 36 million and made 85 million. More proof "horror" movies cost less and make more.

Saw "White Snake" (白蛇:缘起) recently. Chinese produced CGI movie based on a traditional chinese fairytale. Highly recommended.

White_Snake_Animation_Poster_1.jpg

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is a killer movie, even though I'm not really into body horror movies. It kind of felt like a joint directorial combination of David Lynch and David Cronenberg. When I watched it, I couldn't really tell what to make of it, though it was definitely very weird and surreal. After having thought about it a little bit each day for a week, I've come to the conclusion that it's a very good movie that is deserving of its cult status.

Justice League: War.

Yay for Young Justice animation (speaking of which, Outsiders really is taking its time to come to Netflix, if at all... ). Gonna watch The Death of Superman some time later today.

Just got done watching The Fountainhead (1949). I had to watch this for a university project I've got in about two weeks… and goddamn is it boring. The acting's fine, I guess, but the film is just talk, talk, talk. Ayn Rand (who wrote the screenplay AND the book that this was based on) should've just stuck to pure philosophical oeuvres, since her messages are just really heavy-handed and unsubtle, which kind of makes some of the scenes really unnatural and/or unlikely.

I watched the Lego Movie 2 earlier this week. It was alright. It's not as fun as the first one, but still it was a good movie. I really didn't care at all for the musical numbers in it aside from that new version of Everything is Awesome. They could have cut those out.

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

I really liked it. It was also my first time seeing it. I'd already watched Generations a couple of weeks before so this one was obviously next on my list. I started watching Star Trek in order last year starting with the original series, animated series, Movies (up to VI at that time), TNG, DS9 and now i'm on Voyager. I didn't really watch DS9 and Voyager simultaneously which is how they were originally broadcasted since i think that would of been confusing for me, so i'm just watching them all separately.

I'll probably watch Star Trek: Insurrection next if i can find it (it's not on Netflix). So far though my favorite series is a tie between TNG and DS9 although i didn't like the ending of DS9 as i think it was rushed. The OG series isn't bad either imo.