Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Joy of Mapping 6: JOY ETERNAL - RELEASED

Mapping stuff and posting screenshots of my map during the first 2 days every evening, then finished to work and posted in day 3. That's it.

Also, I tried to make a episode 4 map without showing in your face that is a episode 4 map, expect for texture usage at the start of the level. Even used some doom 2 textures for doom (also I wonder if this texture pack could be used as a standalone source out of this project) and it's all done under vanilla doom limitations and Doom 1 bestiary...

Day 1: Lol finals

Day 2: 50% of the effort put into the map, goes into the entrance, first room, and the hallway.

Day 3: Continue work on map at 7 PM since I moved out of my dorm earlier, map becomes visibly more rushed as it progresses, stressing hard as I race to submit the map before 12, get it in at the last possible second.

Yikes.

Day 1: Work on it a bit..

Day 2: Stay up til 4 am working on it, on a school day, on finals week. Finished it though?

Day 3: Got people to playtest it, submitted it

I still passed all of my finals with a B or higher :)

I ran through the first episode and can not express all the admiration. The duration of the maps, the perfection of the gameplay, freedom of movement and the overall level of detail are striking, and clearly above standard. I absolutely do not understand how all mappers can create such massive maps in just 3 days. This is amazing work!! Congrats to all! :D

I feel, that a lot of time will pass, before I can do something equal in size for JoM. Waiting the next event...

It's been discovered that the blue key in E1M2 is missing. Will provide a fix in a bit.

EDIT: The link has been updated.

Edited by Jimmy

On 12/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, dobu gabu maru said:

Streaming E3 from Beta v2 for those interested:

Thanks for the feedback on my map! I agree that more that more cells are needed.

Heads up for streamers & players that each episode is probably gonna take 3-4 hours each, so plan accordingly. We produced a lot of content in just 3 days :P

Was so happy to be a part of this. Thank you guys for having me and thank you @Obsidian for choosing lil' ol' me as a partner :P

Edited by Sparktimus

Day 1: a general layout and light crying

Day 2: ????
Day 3: Everything feels beautiful and the cacos are hissing a chorus

seriously, what an awesome and fun 3 days though! I've spent most of my mapping days this year doing stuff with fancy texturing, lights, and scripting, so to go back to relative basics was a refreshing experience. Thank you Jimmy for doing such an awesome job making all 72 maps play nice with each other and giving us feedback to help us along. Can't wait for the next session!

Public beta 2 is ready! Further testing must be carried out using this beta, which has all the updates and bugfixes submitted so far. Thanks!

Dropbox Mirror
Requires GZDoom 3.6.0 or above.

The recent update to GZDoom (3.7.1 as of this posting) should also be used for testing if possible, please!

Public beta 3 is ready! Lots of fixes in this one. Please continue to play using this beta, thanks!

There will be a final /idgames release on January 26th, a week from now.

Dropbox Mirror
Requires GZDoom 3.6.0 or above.

It was great to work on this even though my map was removed for being my first map material (because it was)

It was still fun seeing all these cool maps people were making.

I might join the next one when it starts hopefully if I do I make a slightly less garbage map for it.

AWesome! But i find a error on my level music credits, the composer of the track (skull of the revenant) is Paul Corfiatis, not Robert Prince!

I can't figure out e2m14.  The switch for the lift does nothing.  There's the spiral staircase made of candles, up is blocked off and down just leads to a secret area.  The only thing I can figure is that I'm supposed to step on the teleporter near the secret but it's got a decoration on it and I can't use it.

There's a few minor bugs I've encountered (such as misalignments) but this one is somewhat gamebreaking:

in Pinchy's E3M6, there's this secret teleporter in the screenshot inside the spoiler. I think something is supposed to trigger as you teleport, but I got stuck in a metal wall right after walking in.

Screenshot_Doom_20190212_175339.png.d88cbd62c2073732ed7008249421948b.png

Other than that I've enjoyed every map so far, especially Dobu's E3M1. Can't wait to check the rest out!

I had the same problem when testing (using GZDoom), but I couldn't reproduce it.