Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Very, VERY worried about the final product.

So, I've heard a lot of bad things about Bethesda in the past couple of months. They apparently released the newest game in the Fallout franchise and it was apparently a pile of dog shit on fire.

I've never played any Fallout games because I'm not a fan of the Fallout franchise. It just does not seem all that interesting to me.

The only reason why I'm mentioning Fallout at all is because I am aware that Bethesda owns both Fallout and Doom.

So what's my concern here? Basically, I'm worried that Doom Eternal will be disappointing. I'm seriously concerned about whether or not Bethesda is going to fuck up Doom Eternal.

Just imagine that the awesome trailer with gameplay footage from August of 2018 ended up being the only parts of the game that were good, and the rest of the game was like a corn dog but with shit instead of meat. And it'll spawn the thought: "Wow, what a great concept utterly shattered by bad development." because we saw the awesome-looking realistic city on fire in the trailer and the destructive demons.

More specifically, Bethesda Softworks owns and publishes IPs like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Prey, The Evil Within, etc. They also own Bethesda Game Studios, Id Software, Arkane Studios, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, and ZeniMax Online. Bethesda Game Studios are the ones who develop games in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchises, were the ones behind the trainwreck known as Fallout 76 and overall have a pretty bad track record when it comes to unpolished products. BGS has no hand in the DOOM series; that's all on Id Software.

1 minute ago, chemo said:

More specifically, Bethesda Softworks owns and publishes IPs like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Prey, The Evil Within, etc. They also own Bethesda Game Studios, Id Software, Arkane Studios, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, and ZeniMax Online. Bethesda Game Studios are the ones who develop games in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchises,

You are correct, although Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios are not entirely separate companies: apparently they share the same building, have the same executives, and share many support functions.  All that being said, it is true that Bethesda is an infinitely better publisher these days than a developer, especially as they seem content to let their subsidiary developers do their own thing.  

4 minutes ago, Bauul said:

You are correct, although Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios are not entirely separate companies: apparently they share the same building, have the same executives, and share many support functions.  All that being said, it is true that Bethesda is an infinitely better publisher these days than a developer, especially as they seem content to let their subsidiary developers do their own thing.  

Yeah nonetheless my point still stands; the publishing part is a different matter than the developing part.

To be honest, I'm concerned about Doom Eternal, but for entirely different reasons.

What if it was revealed to the public too early?
We're already within the second month of the so-called "Year of Doom," and there's been nothing but crickets since the initial reveal (aside from maybe a couple of extra details).

15 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

To be honest, I'm concerned about Doom Eternal, but for entirely different reasons.

What if it was revealed to the public too early?
We're already within the second month of the so-called "Year of Doom," and there's been nothing but crickets since the initial reveal (aside from maybe a couple of extra details).

They're probably saving marketing space for RAGE 2.

Bethesda's main team wasn't the ones working on 76 by the way. This has been discussed all over the place. Marty Stratton is in charge of Doom Eternal, just like he was in Doom'16.

Funny how on a lot of discussions, people still assume Bethesda as the ones making it, despite the 'Id software' logo at the intro of the previous game. It just shows how much Bethesda came to overshadow Id over the years

1 hour ago, MrGlide said:

Bethesda's main team wasn't the ones working on 76 by the way. This has been discussed all over the place. Marty Stratton is in charge of Doom Eternal, just like he was in Doom'16.

If Marty Strattom is in charge of Doom 2016 then why is Todd Howard the one that talks at all the BE3 conferences hmm??

22 minutes ago, Marn said:

If Marty Strattom is in charge of Doom 2016 then why is Todd Howard the one that talks at all the BE3 conferences hmm??

Because Bethesda owns id Software??

13 hours ago, chemo said:

They're probably saving marketing space for RAGE 2.

So this whole Year of Doom is actually a "half year of Doom"?  Because if that is the case, we wont see anything till at least E3.

Ill argue that there is room for both!  Having new information on Doom will not hinder sales of Rage 2 nor will it slow done it's promotional phase.  In fact I would argue it might even help sales by giving Doom fans (who may not even bother with Rage in the first place) a nice appetizer to the main course (DE).

I've never really looked into fallout 76, but I assume it was on par with the disappointment that was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I reckon DE is in good hands, especially if it's the same people as the last game. 

There's no real ID Software for very long time now. ID guys left, only name remained. Since different team is working on game, who cares is it named ID Software or Bethesda Game Studios? It's incredible how some people are blinded by developer's name and they don't care who are the guys making game.

2 hours ago, Marn said:

Who presented the Doom Eternal reveal?

Hint: Not Todd.

2 hours ago, Rimantas said:

There's no real ID Software for very long time now. ID guys left, only name remained. Since different team is working on game, who cares is it named ID Software or Bethesda Game Studios? It's incredible how some people are blinded by developer's name and they don't care who are the guys making game.

But does it even matter at this point anyway?

As long as the spirit of Doom is still there who cares... We don't even know how would another game made by the old id look like...

Guys, guys! Please calm down... Or maybe you are calm. I don't know, but I sense hostility... and it's scaring me. 😨 You have no idea what autism can do to hinder someone's thoughts and viewpoints

Okay. So, John Romero left id software in 1996 shortly after the release of Quake. This is due to his lack of contribution in id software's projects. I think that almost none of the maps in Doom 2 were designed by John Romero. John Romero spent a lot of time playing Doom Deathmatch with people, and it started to annoy the people at id software. So while Sandy Petersen and American McGee were designing most of the maps for Doom 2, Romero was not doing much to improve Doom 2. Eventually, John Romero decided: "Okay, I gotta help develop Quake and then leave id software." Which is exactly what he did, and this is the reason why he left. John Romero didn't get paid for his work on Quake because he left shortly after Quake's release.

3 hours ago, Rimantas said:

id software is in a similar state that when they released Doom'16, so instead of thinking of romaro, adrian and such, which all have been gone for eons now, id is and has been a id 2.0 if you will. No developer stays the same forever, not even close. I mean, id by your standards quit existing after quake 1, so does that mean everything they did after that is shit?

13 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

I mean, id by your standards quit existing after quake 1, so does that mean everything they did after that is shit?

Maybe not everything, but he said at some point that he doesn't consider 2016 and Eternal to be Doom games since they "fit much better in Painkiller".

3 hours ago, Rimantas said:

There's no real ID Software for very long time now. ID guys left, only name remained. 

I’d like to take this opportunity to point out that Kevin Cloud is entering his 27th year at id. AFAIK he’s the only “original” guy left, though.

Just now, Pepsiman said:

I’d like to take this opportunity to point out that Kevin Cloud is entering his 27th year at id. AFAIK he’s the only “original” guy left.

Doesn't Donna still work there?

Just now, crazyflyingdonut said:

Doesn't Donna still work there?

Of course! Can’t forget about the id Mom.

I was originally thinking about original devs, though, as that’s what he was bringing up.

1 minute ago, Pepsiman said:

Of course! Can’t forget about the id Mom.

I was originally thinking about original devs, though, as that’s what he was bringing up.

I wonder what she's doing nowadays...

51 minutes ago, Pepsiman said:

I’d like to take this opportunity to point out that Kevin Cloud is entering his 27th year at id. AFAIK he’s the only “original” guy left, though.

I didn't know. I respect him for making Quake II (my very first FPS).

47 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I wonder what she's doing nowadays...

You should call her. Maybe she is still single.

1 minute ago, Rimantas said:

You should call her. Maybe she is still single.

1. I meant as in business-related things, not personally.

2. I honestly don't know why you would make such a comment like that.

1 hour ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

2. I honestly don't know why you would make such a comment like that.

I'm sure it was just a bad joke.