Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Boom Stick In The Mud - Released

I've already been playing an hour and it's awesome.  I have died at every turret... numerous times.  That one damn imp I didn't kill lobs a killing kit from somewhere...  Deceptively deadly.  Haven't beat it yet, but I'm face-in-keyboard right now, and this is a robust map.  I'll have more feedback when I playthrough it more (doomguy is sleeping in excrement tonight). 

Totally digging the green. 

edit:

Did you also change the blue?  Finished it this morning, took another 3 hours, haha.  This map is loaded with secrets, I couldn't find them all.

Spoiler

ItUzx4w.png

Par time 6 minutes?  I'd like to see that.

zt8gmpP.png

You're my hero.

I found ammo to be a little slim up until the last fight, then I certainly had plenty to waste.  Although I certainly enjoyed switching between all weapons, barring the pistol of course.  

I enjoyed the chainsaw zombie part.  They can be rather sneaky.

Epic map.  Needs a follow-up map!

Edited by greytall

5 hours ago, greytall said:

I've already been playing an hour and it's awesome.  I have died at every turret... numerous times.  That one damn imp I didn't kill lobs a killing kit from somewhere...  Deceptively deadly.  Haven't beat it yet, but I'm face-in-keyboard right now, and this is a robust map.  I'll have more feedback when I playthrough it more (doomguy is sleeping in excrement tonight). 

Yeah, this map may be overly hard right now. Glad you’re still having fun!

Looks pretty rad, gonna give it a play and get back to ya with some feedback.

13 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Now feces and piss pour out of the compound at a supernatural rate.

This sounds like a mission of the utmost importance.

Alright just beat it. Got 100% kills, 99% items, and 91% secrets. Pretty good for a first time play. The map was great, too. A bit large and confusing but I was never desperately lost. The gameplay was great, although there were some moments early on where I was starved for ammo and had to resort to fisting and chainsawing my way through the map for longer than I'd have liked. The sewage tunnels with the chainsaw zombies was definitely my favorite moment in the whole map. I also experienced a pretty strong sense of anxiety in there and felt like I had to pause the game and take a breather. I could hear those fuckers all around but couldn't see them, and sure enough as soon I let my guard down one of em would seemingly come out of nowhere and make me shit myself. Fortunately I was waste deep in sewage anyway so no one would notice.. Also, is it just me or was some of the vanilla enemies' AI tweaked in this wad? There were moments where I felt like the hell barons and hell knights were firing off volleys of attacks at a much faster rate than normal.

The rifle was also a pretty useful addition to the arsenal. It really packs a punch and felt satisfying to use. As for the weapons that use the fuel and goo ammo, I never found them which is a shame as I was looking forward to seeing what the " Goo " weapon was. Something akin to Unreal's bio rifle I hoped. I can only assume these weapons were in the one secret I overlooked in the map or that something glitched out and they never appeared. 

18 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Hellspawn have overrun UAC's high tech sewage treatment plant. Now feces and piss pour out of the compound at a supernatural rate. It's up to DoomGuy to clear out the facility before the entire world is covered in excrement.

Arg, the rifle is bugging out on me all of a sudden. It doesn't associate the ammo items with the weapon ammo. Be warned that it's buggy in the current version. If someone has an idea what's going on with it I'm all ears.

*Edit* Nevermind....

Edited by NaturalTvventy

On 2/7/2019 at 11:21 PM, greytall said:

edit:

Did you also change the blue?  Finished it this morning, took another 3 hours, haha.  This map is loaded with secrets, I couldn't find them all.

Reveal hidden contents

ItUzx4w.png

Par time 6 minutes?  I'd like to see that.

zt8gmpP.png

You're my hero.

I found ammo to be a little slim up until the last fight, then I certainly had plenty to waste.  Although I certainly enjoyed switching between all weapons, barring the pistol of course.  

I enjoyed the chainsaw zombie part.  They can be rather sneaky.

Epic map.  Needs a follow-up map!

Thanks for playing greytall! Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by change the blue. I didn't mess with palettes or anything. Maybe a brightmap thing? I never use dynamic lighting. And why am I your hero?

Glad you made it through the map and had a good time. I'm not sure about a follow up as I tend to try to export different themes with each of my maps, or at least so I like to believe. But you never know.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Count651 said:

Alright just beat it. Got 100% kills, 99% items, and 91% secrets. Pretty good for a first time play. The map was great, too. A bit large and confusing but I was never desperately lost. The gameplay was great, although there were some moments early on where I was starved for ammo and had to resort to fisting and chainsawing my way through the map for longer than I'd have liked. The sewage tunnels with the chainsaw zombies was definitely my favorite moment in the whole map. I also experienced a pretty strong sense of anxiety in there and felt like I had to pause the game and take a breather. I could hear those fuckers all around but couldn't see them, and sure enough as soon I let my guard down one of em would seemingly come out of nowhere and make me shit myself. Fortunately I was waste deep in sewage anyway so no one would notice.. Also, is it just me or was some of the vanilla enemies' AI tweaked in this wad? There were moments where I felt like the hell barons and hell knights were firing off volleys of attacks at a much faster rate than normal.

The rifle was also a pretty useful addition to the arsenal. It really packs a punch and felt satisfying to use. As for the weapons that use the fuel and goo ammo, I never found them which is a shame as I was looking forward to seeing what the " Goo " weapon was. Something akin to Unreal's bio rifle I hoped. I can only assume these weapons were in the one secret I overlooked in the map or that something glitched out and they never appeared. 

Nicely done Count. Thanks for the playthrough. Ammo is a bit tight for most of the map; ammo balance is always tricky. I'll add a little more at the start.

No AI tweaks except demons don't infight. Everything else behaves the same.

I used the status bar from my last map, Bad Religion, because I'm lazy. There's no weapon in this map that uses those ammo types. You'll just have to play my other map for the that! 

Thanks again for playing and providing feedback.

I guess it was my first time using gzdoom (in a long ass time and on this particular screen) and it looked like the palette was changed -- hell knight blood looked more faded/grey/pastel, and their fireballs were more bright vivid green, and the cacodemon blood looked brighter blue (than prboom+, I usually play with that and it's all faded looking).  All the color differences were crisp and the entire way the lighting appears is different than I'm used to.

The hero part was a lame joke in reference to the greytall texture being used -- I don't even know where the hell it is in the original doom.

Maybe I was just hoping you planned on making another map with a rifle.  

4 hours ago, greytall said:

I guess it was my first time using gzdoom (in a long ass time and on this particular screen) and it looked like the palette was changed -- hell knight blood looked more faded/grey/pastel, and their fireballs were more bright vivid green, and the cacodemon blood looked brighter blue (than prboom+, I usually play with that and it's all faded looking).  All the color differences were crisp and the entire way the lighting appears is different than I'm used to.

The hero part was a lame joke in reference to the greytall texture being used -- I don't even know where the hell it is in the original doom.

Maybe I was just hoping you planned on making another map with a rifle.  

Oh right the blood! I ripped that from KDIZD a million years ago. The rifle is also from KDIZD in fact. My last map, Bad Religion, also had it.

Heh oh yes, I should have got the joke.

Boom Stick in the Mud has had its official release. Thankfully the map now has less revenants (what was I thinking??).  See original post for idgames link. 

Screenshot_Doom_20190221_204257.png.db291572dc8ed6509add81c145a04cc7.png

Edited by NaturalTvventy

Just finished this wad last night and wow way to use those vanilla textures @NaturalTvventy!

As you mentioned this is a very brown level, but fine detailing and striking architecture more than make up for it.

Clever use of BOOM's friction floors with the mud textures as well. Brought out the feeling of wading through piles of sewage and added some spice to combat especially in tight corridors.

Also really appreciate how nicely the new monsters fit into the existing bestiary. And that new rifle does a great job filling in the much needed long range gap in Doom's arsenal.

Can't wait to see what you've got planned next! Maybe something for the Ultimate Doom?

Thanks for playing and for the feedback @chowbar

Currently I’m working on a BTSX e3 map. I’ll probably jump back and forth between that project and my own ZDoomy pursuits for the indefinite future. I think I’ve made my mark in the Ultimate DOOM department, so I’m not sure I’ll be mapping for it again any time soon. Mapping for DOOM II has its own interesting challenges I never really realized, like the large size of many of the monsters and of course the SSG. It may be quite a while before I release anything new. Maybe check out my last map, Bad Religion, if you’re after something a bit in the same vein as Boom Stick in the Mud.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

2 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

I think I’ve made my mark in the Ultimate DOOM department, so I’m not sure I’ll be mapping for it again any time soon.

Ah that's fair enough! NEIS feels like a proper send off to Ultimate Doom considering how long it took to make and how grand the whole megawad is.

If that's all the Ultimate Doom mapping you'll do for a while, I'm more than happy replaying NEIS and finding all its pesky secrets.

2 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Currently I’m working on a BTSX e3 map. I’ll probably jump back and forth between that project and my own ZDoomy pursuits for the indefinite future... Maybe check out my last map, Bad Religion, if you’re after something a bit in the same vein as Boom Stick in the Mud.

Oh that reminds me, I did play Bad Religion before playing Boomstick but I thought it'd be poor form to comment on a year old thread.

I really loved the design of Bad Religion, the whole thing is very imposing and ominous. That star arena is evil af and I loved the skull stairs exit. And I guess that's a fair impression because boy was it tough on UV. I think I'll stick to HMP for future playthroughs. If it weren't for the blurspheres, those chaingunners in the green room would've destroyed me. But because of those blurspheres, it made dodging the hellknights and imps after a bitch.

And tbh I think I prefer Boomstick to Bad Religion. The new monsters and guns in Bad Religion fit the existing Doom stuff well, but I think they're might've been too many. Boomstick has fewer additional monsters and only one new weapon. This makes Bad Religion kinda harder than Boomstick and I never really used the mancubus arms and alpha rifle. I did like the black cyberdemons though, they make normal cybies look like weenies.

All that said, I really liked Bad Religion's design and atmosphere but I prob prefer Boomstick. Besides Boomstick has the better story.

And good luck with BTSX EP3 and whatever you do next! Can't wait to play your next release even if it a ways away!