Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I just finished blazing through Harmony of Dissonance on Maxim mode, which was far too easy for its own good. Added to this is the base game's problem of not having nearly enough warp points, making backtracking very tedious. Maxim is still a very fun character to play as though.

I'm currently playing the recently updated HyperRogue, but I have not reached one of the three new lands. It's still a beautiful and disorientating game. The non-euclidean geometry makes it (almost) impossible to go back to a previous place unless you manage to exactly go back the same way.

I'm playing Quake 1 right now for the first time. I've messed with it before and played some (usually completely transformative) singleplayer mods, and I screwed around with multiplayer before, but this is the first time I've ever sat down to actually burn through the vanilla singleplayer campaign. This game is surprisingly immersive at times... not scary, mind you, but sort of upsetting in a way Doom 64 is sort of upsetting.

1 hour ago, EtherBot said:

I'm playing Quake 1 right now for the first time. I've messed with it before and played some (usually completely transformative) singleplayer mods, and I screwed around with multiplayer before, but this is the first time I've ever sat down to actually burn through the vanilla singleplayer campaign. This game is surprisingly immersive at times... not scary, mind you, but sort of upsetting in a way Doom 64 is sort of upsetting.

Quake 1 was an interesting game, good to hear you're enjoying it. When it came out I was torn for a few years between it and Doom 2 being my favorite games. After source ports, Doom 2 was my favorite. But I spent a long time loving Quake. 

The atmosphere in Quake is palpable. Especially when it first came out, there was really nothing like it before. It felt thick and oppressive throughout, that everything in the world, even the walls wanted you dead. You were invading old dimensions, and they did not want you there. The brown, grey, and blue stone castles and ancient domains told you as much. 

I think it gets quite a bit of criticism because it feels unfinished. There was the discontent within id about the game's direction, so there were features left out, avenues not explored. But quite frankly, in 1997, when I got the game, I hadn't heard anything about it. And I loved it, and still love it. I love the abstract level design of the fourth episode, it made the game feel fresh and new.

That was a bit of a rant there. I love Quake, and I hope you enjoy it half as much as I did 20 years ago. It is a really good game.

Suggstion: If you do like Quake, I would suggest having a look at Dusk. I don't get paid by NewBlood, no affiliation, but it's a great game. The movement, enemies, and weapons are very close to Quake. The level design of the first episode is close to Blood, the second episode reeks of Half-Life and Shadow of Chernobyl, the third episode is extremely Quake-Like. It might be worth a look if you need something to play. And I'm sure they need sales.

Edited by Jello : Suggestion:

Chipping away towards 1CC Crimzon Clover on Aracde Original. Novice mode is a lot of fun, but unfortunately does nothing to teach you the nuances of the main game. The game has an imposingly high skill ceiling but never feels cheap or unbalanced. Not one moment in this game has ever frustrated me. The elegant scoring mechanics are superb. This is one of the greatest video games ever made. 

Edited by Ajora

Freaks!

Quite an obscure and weird little DOS shooter.  The way it controls is kind of odd... you can move freely within squares as if it were your typical Wolf-alike, but instead of free turning you flip in 90-degree increments more like a Dungeon Master type game.  Plot is basically you're an evil wizard (who none the less carries a gun around) who had the power to create all sorts of monsters to do your bidding but your apprentice did you dirty and killed you, now you're back from the dead for revenge but all the monsters you made now obey your apprentice instead... Overall the obvious parallel I'd draw is with the Catacomb 3D games, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if those were an inspiration given the similarities (the dueling wizards, the time portal into a future world full of evil robots, the little texts describing the various areas you visit, the trick with using floor colors and animated walls to simulate flooded areas...)  Every "phase" is also set up as a hub world to explore rather than a series of discrete levels, and a properly persistent one rather than the halfassed hubs you had in Catacomb where the map would reset every time you entered; that along with decent-ish music and using 256-color mode are the main areas in which it makes an improvement over the Catacomb series.

Couldn't call it a good game, in fact it's pretty much a bad game as far as the combat is concerned, and it's similar to the Catacomb games in its faults too with the enemies being mostly melee while you have ranged attacks with infinite ammo, making most encounters unthreatening as long as nothing can surprise/corner you.  It also adds a problem of its own in that what ranged enemies do exist are hitscan and and strafing does nothing to help avoid getting hit, so you have to either tank the damage for ones that need to be killed or else just run away and avoid them in a lot of cases, which probably added a reason to them being rare throughout the game.  But like the Catacomb games, it's got a certain charm none the less, to me anyway.

I've played Freaks! though I found it quite difficult to get very far.

From those screenshots, it really looks like it follows Catacomb :p

Edited by Vermil

Lots and lots of Goldsrc mods, MMod, and occasionally Doom 3. I also intend to get the first Quake later on.

A LOT of DooM Mods (Trying to search new mods, but can't find more new ones, recent ones like Ashen, TEOT, Annie, etc... I have them but I need more lol)

CrossCode

Making a RPG (That counts as playing!)Insert other media

Terraria Multiplayer

idk what else

Can you believe I'm still on Secret of Mana? That game is epic. I've been referring to a walk through whenever progression becomes obtuse (not as often as I'd feared, to be honest) and looking at a labelled map of the over world that you would've got with the game (I think) to help with the Flammie-riding parts, but otherwise I've just been straight tanking through the game. I found out, after having played through it, that the first few hours of the game actually are covered in a walk through that the game manual contains... Which is showing up a limitation of the SNES Classic Mini. No manuals! They just recommend you go online to read them when you click on the manuals icon... Which is stupid. Why include the icon?

Anyway, great game so far and I'm assuming the last 5-pages worth of walk through (my only real metric for progression) will be more of the same. Interestingly, despite minimal grinding (I think), I'm massively over-levelled compared to the walk through and it shows in my experience of the various dungeons, caves and towers. Enemies are either harmless, or easily overwhelmed. Bosses don't pose much of a threat either, as I've gotten adept at using offensive magic and physical attacks in conjunction, with minor support from the healer/buffer character.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what this game would've been if the SNES CD had come to fruition and this game had been fully realised, rather than large portions of content being compressed or cut off to make Chrono Trigger. Presumably an absolute pinnacle of 16-bit gaming, as it's still rather incredible anyway.

I just finished the Return to Pa Nali expansion for Unreal Gold which means I have finally completed my first playthrough of the whole game. I am not sure if I will play this game again for some time now but I might want to try some custom maps for it.

I kinda find some time yesterday to play some games on my Switch, one of them is Mercenary Kings, quite fun 2d run & gun!

I've been playing Far Cry 5 lately, told myself I wasn't going to buy it because I really didn't care for Far Cry 4, but it's a fun game. I like the setting; killing Christian zealots is quite a bit funner than killing a bunch of Nepalis. It has problems, there's virtually no point in buying any weapons beyond the original assault rifle, .50 BMG, and Uzi, flying is annoying as hell, the story itself is kind of... not there. But it is fun enough.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, Ajora said:

I was very disappointed with Bare Knuckle 3. The music was extremely grating and the emphasis on telling a dark story about a criminal syndicate looking to initiate a nuclear war was poorly executed and felt out of place. And maybe it's just me, but the hit detection felt slightly off. There's a good game underneath all the problems, but I found the game annoying more than anything.

Reveal hidden contents

Why was Sammy smiling when you failed to defeat Neo. X in under 3 minutes, triggering the bad ending where nuclear weapons launched across the globe, initiating the third world war and killing millions? Good heavens, this game's story is dumb. Beat 'em ups work so much better when they boil down to little more than having to rescue someone from a bunch of street thugs. 

I love BN3, but the last bit of it is stupidly frustrating, which pretty much guarantees a bad ending. 

I myself have been loving Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I feel kinda bad about having started a game of Ultima 5, played it for maybe two and a half hours, and haven't gotten back to it since. It's a really incredible game, but I just haven't been in the mood for a western RPG. I'm kinda feeling a bit burnt out on Crimzon Clover. I still have many hours of practice before I can 1CC it on Arcade Original.

Checked out a couple of Hexen WADs as of yesterday. I've always really liked Hexen, but why is it that every official and unofficial campaign I've ever played features some kind of character repopulation script? It doesn't make the game harder, but it is very annoying and tedious. The enemies, weapons, and environments are all great, but the game just isn't as fun or replayable as Heretic. The puzzles also start feeling a bit samey after a while. 

Edited by Ajora

I'm playing Axiom Verge now. Such interesting, gritty game. It has its own flaws, but as one man made effort, I can't complain much. 

I tried replaying Legend of Grimrock 2, a masterpiece of this kind of oldschool dungeon crawlers imho. I had finished the game years ago with over 50 hours when trying to find all secrets, and I remember it and tried to play it again. I still love it, there are so many good moments in it. Only minor, I tried to play in my 4K monitor with 4K resolution and the UI is pretty tiny (doesn't scale up).

Been playing the hell out of Resident Evil 2 (2019), though that "playing the hell out of" is relative (I haven't even completed my 2nd run yet). Smash Ultimate is still treating me well. As a peach main, I'm very happy with her buffs coming out of Smash 4. Maybe in a few more weeks I'll be ready to start playing and mapping for DOOM again, but right now, I'm content with these two games.

Trying another CI Interactive budget series; code of honor. The first game didn't appeal to me shooting, and being shot at by, hitscan blobs on the horizon. But the sequel is a lot better.

I am playing Quake 2 with the Ground Zero mission pack, I think I only played through this one fully only once before, but the same goes for the other mission pack too.

I finally decided to give SUPERHOT a chance, and I'm already hooked. It's a game that I can recommend 100%. It's a shooter, but somehow it's also a strategy game and a puzzle of sorts. Anyone else played it??

Maybe I'll start Blood too, since everyone is talking about it.

13 minutes ago, Blind Joe Death said:

I finally decided to give SUPERHOT a chance, and I'm already hooked. It's a game that I can recommend 100%. It's a shooter, but somehow it's also a strategy game and a puzzle of sorts. Anyone else played it??

Maybe I'll start Blood too, since everyone is talking about it.

I played the VR edition of Superhot at a mall. I was definitely impressed. Neat game.

@GamingMarine Well, the SNES port of it certainly sucks, though the arcade version was pretty fun for what it was. Remember, music is the weapon! 

I recently played through about 90% of Alex Kidd in Miracle World. As with Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, which I finished on the PS2 maybe 5 years ago, it has some neat ideas and fun powerups, but poor controls and wonky hit detection. The game is far removed from being difficult but can be really annoying and cheap at times. Having to fight bosses by playing rock paper scissors was a stupid idea then and it's a stupid idea now. I've often thought of Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle as the most average game I've ever played but seeing as how it retained most of the annoying design features of the original Alex Kidd, without really improving upon much, I can safely say that my respect for that game has dropped, though I definitely had more fun playing it than I did with Miracle World. I have no desire to play Miracle World ever again. 

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is quite good, mind you. I really enjoyed playing through that game. I've found that the best Master System games are often the lesser known ones.

Right now I'm playing the The Reckoning mission pack for Quake 2 via KMQuake 2 with the hi res texture pack and a few hi quality weapon models.