Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

I should say that pistol is shooting very fast, but i won't because i'm afraid it will be fixed. :D If it was intended - it's GOLDEN pistol fix! Playing on latest Eternity dev build. Same was on stable.

Intended behaviour. :)

This sure looks pretty. You guys have an insane sense of architecture. 

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

No; though I guess you could open the WAD in slade and delete the necessary files.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what the names of the files are?

I took a quick look and because there are literally hundreds of files in the WAD trying to find them one by one would be quite a chore especially with the way in which slade is designed where files have to be individually clicked on one by one.

Cheers.

13 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

· For GZDoom we added a weather toggle to the menu (go to Options, then
      "Eviternity Options" at the bottom).

BTW I just tried Eternity with GZdoom 3.7.2 and there was no "Eviternity Options" at the botton after opening Options menu.

I do not have the option "Eviternity Options" with the version of GZdoom 3.7.1 Windows 64-bit.

What does it change, is it important?

We'll look into how this disappeared. The options allow you to toggle the GZDoom-only weather effects on and off, since they can impact performance on lower end systems. They can be toggled through the console too, though, so all is not lost.

Also I have 2 more thing to say (these are probably nitpick so you are free to not implement them):

1. Since the pistol behavior is now changed, wouldn't it be better to implement different sprites (or slightly edit the sprites) so that people know that it is changed. Valiant does this for its pistol and chaingun.

2. What complevel was used to record the demos. Asking because demo loop plays back in PrBoom+ but not in Eternity. Eternity supports MBF demo play back.

Another issue I have discovered. This time related to PrBoom+ and Eviternity's menu font. When I go to options I cannot see parameter highlighting (i.e which setting is currently selected). The picture will explain better:

Vanilla Doom font:

doom.png.b2f36d48e7df4e1aa958aaa62b512670.png

Eviternity font:

eviternity.png.223cc8f30e66e4a80c7dbcc582825503.png

48 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Also I have 2 more thing to say (these are probably nitpick so you are free to not implement them):

1. Since the pistol behavior is now changed, wouldn't it be better to implement different sprites (or slightly edit the sprites) so that people know that it is changed. Valiant does this for its pistol and chaingun.

2. What complevel was used to record the demos. Asking because demo loop plays back in PrBoom+ but not in Eternity. Eternity supports MBF demo play back.

I'm not making any more changes to Eviternity.

Regardless, to question 1, I decided not to change it because it would perhaps welcome the criticism "oh you changed the pistol but none of the other weapons, that's lame", plus it's also extra work & filesize consumption etc. :P

Question2: Complevel 11.

Regarding font - that's... lame, actually. Though I'd personally pitch this as an issue with PrBoom+ not accommodating for the possibility of a new font being included that isn't red.

26 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

it would perhaps welcome the criticism "oh you changed the pistol but none of the other weapons, that's lame"

You got a good point there.

Question2: Complevel 11.

Strange. I am 99% Eternity Supports MBF demo playback (for e.g Valiant's demo-loop played fine last time I checked). But for some reason, Eviternity's demos do not play back. Maybe this is a issue with Eternity.

Regarding font - that's... lame, actually. Though I'd personally pitch this as an issue with PrBoom+ not accommodating for the possibility of a new font being included that isn't red.

Ancient Aliens menu font isn't red and it works fine. (Though Valiant does have this issue, so PrBoom+ gets some blame too)

AAliens.png.395d2cec04c8f5925af97e857b09690b.png

Edited by ReaperAA

I'm assuming weather is on by default, right? I have a pretty beefy PC and wouldn't like to miss out on them.

Hey i need help with the Mod! I have GZDoom a Doom.wad and the Eviternity.wad but i can't Choose? Can anybody help me?

1 hour ago, Mewgod said:

Hey i need help with the Mod! I have GZDoom a Doom.wad and the Eviternity.wad but i can't Choose? Can anybody help me?

You can just drag and drop the Eviternity.wad file into gzdoom.exe and it should work just fine. Alternatively, you can use ZDL (especially useful if you want to use multiple mods).

1 minute ago, KVELLER said:

You can just drag and drop the Eviternity.wad file into gzdoom.exe and it should work just fine. Alternatively, you can use ZDL (especially useful if you want to use multiple mods).

also, use doom2.wad instead of doom.wad

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

I'm assuming weather is on by default, right? I have a pretty beefy PC and wouldn't like to miss out on them.

It's on by default, yes. :)

25 minutes ago, Mewgod said:

Welcome to Doomworld, glad your interest in Eviternity has brought you here!

IcarusLives has a video on Youtube which should teach you how to run doom mods, view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIcjmIz03fc

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Though I'd personally pitch this as an issue with PrBoom+ not accommodating for the possibility of a new font being included that isn't red.

Incorrect. it's because Eviternity does not contain color translation table lumps. Ignore the quip at the bottom of boomref.txt, prb+ can use translation tables to turn any range into any other range, not just reds. As an example, if I cobble together a quickie CRGOLD and CRORANGE, the menu now behaves fine:

815394774_ScreenShot2019-02-11at10_42_42AM.png.c89371283a56ca84f7be80d6fe393f1d.png

CR.zip

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Or you can make a desktop shortcut and put the parameters -iwad "my iwad".wad followed by -file "my file".wad at the end of the target box.

Ex: "D:/Doom Ports/GZDoom/gzdoom.exe" -iwad doom2.wad -file eviternity.wad

It's not an IWAD. You still need doom2.wad. Just drag eviternity.wad on gzdoom.exe (or double click eviternity.wad if .wad is associated with gzdoom.exe).

38 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

Incorrect. it's because Eviternity does not contain color translation table lumps. Ignore the quip at the bottom of boomref.txt, prb+ can use translation tables to turn any range into any other range, not just reds. As an example, if I cobble together a quickie CRGOLD and CRORANGE, the menu now behaves fine:

815394774_ScreenShot2019-02-11at10_42_42AM.png.c89371283a56ca84f7be80d6fe393f1d.png

CR.zip

Cheers Ribbiks. Antares also informed me of this via Discord and has made one for Eviternity. I may drop a 'patch wad' at some point, but will let people discover more issues before I press on with that.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

No; though I guess you could open the WAD in slade and delete the necessary files.

16 hours ago, Malice said:

Would you be so kind as to tell me what the names of the files are?

I took a quick look and because there are literally hundreds of files in the WAD trying to find them one by one would be quite a chore especially with the way in which slade is designed where files have to be individually clicked on one by one.

Cheers.

We've been featured on both PC Gamer and RockPaperShotgun!

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/doom-megawad-eviternity-hits-final-revision/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/11/doom-2-mod-eviternity-escalates-from-basics-to-expert-grade/

Spoiler

@Malice I'll answer that question later on when I have access to SLADE. I can't remember the lump names from the top of my head.

14 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

We've been featured on both PC Gamer and RockPaperShotgun!

Great news! But now Romero will be shy to release his 9 map WAD. Kidding. :)

@Dragonfly: Started my playthrough today, I've got two questions. I was planning to play using GLBoom+ but seeing that there's a few graphical effects like rain and snow, along with some other features, I figured I should try GZDoom instead.

Just found out that there seems to be no way to get proper pistol start to work in GZDoom unless I'm willing to try unofficial  mods, so my question is: Are you supposed to play the maps with pistol start? Or have the wad been made with continuous play in mind so there's no need to worry about pistol start?

Also, are there other differences besides teleporter particles and rain/snow in GZDoom compared to PR/GLBoom+? Will the storyline and such stuff work equally well in PRBoom+ as well?

@waverider Aside from a few enhancements I think it works the same way in GZDoom as it does in other ports, there shouldn't be notable differences. RC1 did have some minor visual bugs in GlBoom, yes, notably the skies not tiling up correctly in some maps, but nothing major.

Continuous play will make the starts a bit easier, but otherwise you're not losing anything if you avoid pistol starting from my experience, it doesn't trivialize the difficulty.