Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grandgreed

Hexen Neural Texture Pack

Textures are awesome, but I really don't like the shadows behind sprites. They look too much like cardboard cutouts with it. But, I would like to use the upscaled Korax as base for bigger Korax version, he always looked too tiny to me.

Also, if you go high res, why not to go also widescreen - I will do a self plug for my widescreen friendly HeXen mod. No new graphics, just extensions. Except Quietus sword which have remade hand, because the original really didn't worked in widescreen.

4 minutes ago, dpkonofa said:

Do you have antialiasing turned on when you're doing the upscaling?

Unfortunately there is no such option.

26 minutes ago, grandgreed said:

Crop from Doomsday (up) and GZ (down). Doomsday hud weapon some stretched due widescreen res.

Isn't it because DooMsday doesn't use the 1x1.2 pixel aspect ratio of original DooM engine?

12 minutes ago, NeoWorm said:

Isn't it because DooMsday doesn't use the 1x1.2 pixel aspect ratio of original DooM engine?

Black outlines it's not engine issue. Contours appear during the processing of objects without a background. All sprites have no transparency, only cuts around objects. This is the cause of the contour.

10 hours ago, NeoWorm said:

I meant the stretching. I get that the outlines are byproduct of the upscale.

I found option in Doomsday which can disable black outlines, it works only with original sprites. In Doomsday only hud weapons stretched.

Black outlines is result of upscaling modded sprites. As time becomes available, I will do the removal.

So you're doing this with the ESRGAN + Manga 109 model? Do you use any kind of image softening to get smoother results?

A while ago I discovered that waifu2x does a way better job at scaling sprites on an empty background (and generally makes all sorts of curves smoother) if you soften the image before processing by first scaling it up with xBR or xBRZ (doesn't make a difference as far as I can tell) four times and then down to the original dimensions with GIMP's pixelise filter (a step by step description is provided here). It is now confirmed that the same method allows to achieve smoother results with ESRGAN too, compare the same image from Kyrandia with and without prior smoothing (sorry, Imgur auto-converted these images to JPEG due to their size). It does eat up some detail though.

Also, if you're registered at the ResetEra forums, could you please ask if anyone would be willing to train a model specifically on high-resolution video game sprites and not on JPEG-mangled Manga images like the current Manga 109 model? It's quite realistic to get around 100 high-res sprites in lossless quality (it is my understanding that Manga 109 was trained on some 100 images), I have provided some examples here.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, MrFlibble said:

So you're doing this with the ESRGAN + Manga 109 model?

Please read Doom topic

Edited by grandgreed

Topaz Gigapixel seems to be pretty much hit & miss with some features like skulls, the Gargoyle doesn't really look good either.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:59 AM, MrFlibble said:

Topaz Gigapixel seems to be pretty much hit & miss with some features like skulls, the Gargoyle doesn't really look good either.

Yeah... the iced gargoyle looks ok because the streaking just looks like more ice but the skull on top of the banner and the first gargoyle look like they might need some manual re-touching. The ground spike looks pretty awesome but I imagine that that's more due to it being a single textured area as opposed to a more detailed sprite.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:19 AM, Louco Diamante said:

but the class selection character frame is messed for me

Big thanks for notice. It's GZ scalling bug. Try new ver from main. Just reuploaded.

Maybe I've missed something, but is there available something like this for Heretic? Especially sprites.

16 hours ago, grandgreed said:

Big thanks for notice. It's GZ scalling bug. Try new ver from main. Just reuploaded.

No prob mate! Ive just checked with your sugested new ver, but the result looks the same

image.png.d247a92d26476112bdeb3482395b521d.png

On 2/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, Louco Diamante said:

No prob mate! Ive just checked with your sugested new ver, but the result looks the same 

Strange things... Downloaded my own package and checked.

Spoiler

Clipboard01.jpg.43dea6a7a0a77d2ff14e57851170fdc7.jpg

29 minutes ago, grandgreed said:

Hide contents

29 minutes ago, grandgreed said:

Hide contents

I will try it from the fresh start one more time, lets see. I keep here informed

Side note 1: I was traying to play with the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel with the Neural Texture pack and it replaces the add-on title screen back with the original Hexen title screen.  The image attatched was suposed to show

Side note 1: In both cases (HEXEN and HEXDD), the status bar hud (not the full screen hud) seems to be the only element not "neural textured", since it is showing in the old original resolution . As showed in attached file 2, everything is in neura texture (weapon, enemies, floor and walls) but satus bar is in original resolution. 

Hexdd_title.png

Screenshot_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Louco Diamante said:

Deathkings of the Dark Citadel

This is stand alone wad which needs to processed sepperatly. I'll start doing a little later.

19 minutes ago, Louco Diamante said:

satus bar is in original resolution

It is. Status bar have many small separated items. It takes too long time to group them and count necessary sizes. When I get free time I will finish it.

Regards.

First and foremost fantastic job with this mod thus far.

I am expericing the same issues listed above with the GZDoom port though.

The latest linked dropbox download does fix the scaling issue for the character selection screen but the opening screen for the Deathkings expansion is still displaying only the regular Hexen one and the hud is still the original resolution. When you have time to fix the hud could you please make sure it's compaitible with this widescreen fix?

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=37623&hilit=hexen+widescreen widescreen fix?

I look forward to your update which fixes these. Keep up the great work.

Edited by Malice

On 2/10/2019 at 9:56 PM, Malice said:

When you have time to fix the hud could you please make sure it's compaitible with this widescreen fix?

I can't understand. What exactly should I do with that fix?

This mod adds support for widescreen monitors outside the 4:3 aspect ratio. It extends the classic hud on both sides so that it's not cut off. it also properly renders for example the fighters arms so that they actually appear to be conected on each side without a gap when attacking.

The reason I mention this is because it's essential to have the game look right on modern displays so if you were to only create high definition assets for the standard hud for example the extensions added by the mod would look odd since the ends would still be in the default resolution.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, Malice said:

The latest linked dropbox download does fix the scaling issue for the character selection screen but the opening screen for the Deathkings expansion is still displaying only the regular Hexen one and the hud is still the original resolution. When you have time to fix the hud could you please make sure it's compaitible with this widescreen fix?

This is a very entitled request, to say the least. grandgreed is working through the textures for the original game right now. If he decides to do the Deathkings expansion, I'm sure that'll come later. The widescreen fix isn't an official part of the game so that, I would imagine, would be the very last thing to get done after all the official content from the game is finished.

18 hours ago, grandgreed said:

It's another set of textures that he expects you to upscale. Since Hexen wasn't originally released for widescreen devices, some of the sprites get cut off. This is a user mod where the author copy/pasted textures to fill in the extra space and used Photoshop to extend the weapon sprites as well. It's not an official release.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:18 AM, dpkonofa said:

This is a very entitled request, to say the least. grandgreed is working through the textures for the original game right now. If he decides to do the Deathkings expansion, I'm sure that'll come later. The widescreen fix isn't an official part of the game so that, I would imagine, would be the very last thing to get done after all the official content from the game is finished.

Matter of opinion my friend. It's a request and not a demand... If it's left unfulfilled then so be it as I'm happy with the progress the guy behind the project has made thus far.

By the way, all MODS are not  an "official part of the game" so that's an irrelevant comment. I'm also pretty sure that not many people are using source ports with legacy hardware so this would be beneficial to essentially everyone with a modern 16:9 display utilizing the now industry standard supported aspect ratio.

Edited by Malice