Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

I updated my map with the difficulty settings (though those aren't tested well now) and additional stuff for coop play. Link remains the same, you can find it in the OP.

Updated my map for possible the last time:

Made some changes on teleporter traps near blue key room and fix one of the Baron pillars near the start room. 

Link is in the previous post back last Monday 

Edited by Philnemba : Fixed link to post -_-;

Sorry I haven't been that active here lately - got sick almost a week ago and have just been focused on recovering. Hopefully I can resume playtesting some more maps here soon, and just a reminder to everyone working on Episode 1 maps that the deadline is less than a month away (March the 8th) so be sure to get your maps finished and submitted on time.

Couple of screenshots of my map since I've been neglected to post any since finishing it.

Screenshot_220.png.4aed05a0d752c4cffd9429005ff11469.png

Screenshot_221.png.be3f9c63167752f67ece9ce3ba0e3a53.png

Got around to playing @Gothic's map; was very much impressed with this one. It's actually hard to think of much to suggest for this map, as I felt it was fine just as it is. The only thing I can think to bring up are the red key encounter and maybe the last one with the revenants before the exit. It was easy for me to escape the teleporting cacos when lowering the red key, and I could snipe at the revenants in the last area before opening the exit door. I was otherwise only able to find one secret, and looking at the others in the editor I don't have any problem with any of them except maybe the one that leads to the computer map in the toxic waste. The skull switch blends so well it's almost invisible if you're not looking directly at it.

Once again I had a blast playing this map; lots of trap encounters that were fun to play around with, and I felt the balance was just right for the slot it's aiming at. Since there is an abundance of traps throughout the map I didn't feel that off-put by many of them not being too challenging to counter. I think the fewer traps there are in a map the more difficult they should be, since having too many traps with too many points that force the player to pin down hard would just drag the map too much, so well done on handling those encounters just right.

I figured I'd post something just to announce that I'm still here and alive, just busy at home.
I've recovered from Windows 10 imploding (mostly) and fortunately Map 18 if fine and well, though I've made no progress on it since, I've also been dealing with training a stubborn pit bull pup of mine who really like the taste of carpet so as you can imagine, I've been occupied but will work on the map some more when my gf has the weekend off.
I can't say when, but I'll try to play all episode one maps before the deadline, if all the posts are an indication, they'll be awesome.

Hey Wolf, since you got the map before mine, can you make the player exit with 20 or under HP? Would appreciate

2 hours ago, Juza said:

Hey Wolf, since you got the map before mine, can you make the player exit with 20 or under HP? Would appreciate

This request doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the context of a mapset.

Do you want that to be unavoidable? Like making the exit sector Type 11? Doesn't this just punish players who happen to complete the map with a lot of health and artificially increase the difficulty of the beginning of your map?

And a pistol start on your map would start, obviously, at 100% health. So why punish the continuous player?

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

And a pistol start on your map would start, obviously, at 100% health. So why punish the continuous player?

80%*

23 minutes ago, Juza said:

80%*

OK. But I still don't see the purpose of forcing the player to be hurt just prior to entering your map. If they play with enough skill to progress through the mapset and arrive at the end of Wolf's map at 100+% health, I would think it would feel cheap to force some sort of damage on them, just to have the player be bloodied at the beginning of your map (for whatever reason).

19 hours ago, Juza said:

You might have to help me figure that out when I get to that point, but that's cool with me (though I do want to take what peg said into consideration), I'd say the maps like halfish done right now though, so we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Just want to put it out there right now that I'm against death exits, and like Pegleg said I don't see a reason to punish continuous players who enjoy that playstyle over people who like pistol-starting a map. The megawad should be enjoyable for both audiences.

Started work on MAP05. Going to try for a mountain bunker. I was going to try and focus on making it a smaller but fast pace map something like compound (plutonia map17). My only concern is at it stands i like the theme cohesion but i don't wnat my map to look too similar to the other episode 1 maps for variety sake. but here's what i made so far.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190214_124617.png.240ee0c47a4654b184b500014feabb0f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190214_124631.png.96c4e522f2d3847d21a7240903d3ea06.png

1 hour ago, DJVCardMaster said:

So, MAP05 got rejected?

Yeah I notice this yesterday which is a shame because I thought it was a decent map from @The_SloVinator that could've been saved with a complete overhaul of thing placement and layout :(

@DerFurer'sFace Interesting Plutonia style map you got there.

Eh, there still seems to be an empty slot for map 05, and I have a map I've started making, but I've noticed this project too late I'm not sure if I can make a decent map by March, 8...

Should I try?

Edit: ah, nevermind. Just noticed someone already took the slot. Oh well...

Yeah, not sure if i'm going to take a lot of plutonia inspiration but the overall map concept I liked in plutonia. I will have to see where it goes. Im torn on having outdoor trench areas or if it should just be indoors.

5 hours ago, Philnemba said:

Yeah I notice this yesterday which is a shame because I thought it was a decent map from @The_SloVinator that could've been saved with a complete overhaul of thing placement and layout :(

@DerFurer'sFace Interesting Plutonia style map you got there.

Maybe one day I'll release it standalone.

hit a road block in the first five minutes, what's the best way to deal with these issues, I have only just now tested a area I made just before my pc issues so I can't remember half the stuff I had kept notes on about vpos and other vanilla format stuff, so I imagine you guys could lay it on me in in simple terms.
(sorry for the phone photo, no clue how to screen shot in render limits)

IMG_20190215_211503.png

for a quick and dirty way to post a screenshot while playing hit the Print Screen button; open up MS paint and paste the image into the new image/clipboard then save.

judging from this screenshot; it looks like you're getting a segs limit problem because of how you made the floor (which is extremely cool looking).   you'll need to either make this hall shorter by adding a door or wall to reduce the number of segs in view.  Or you can try making some custom flats that are left and right side versions of the metal/stone hex pattern.  (you might also have to make a north and south flat that does the same thing).

another way this could be lessened is to put a door or view blocking wall in the interior doorway.

Custom flats would work significantly better for this, yes. You're working in vanilla, which means you should optimize as much as possible and avoid building in ways that aren't at all vanilla-friendly. Though personally, I don't like that floor to begin with. A plain, single-flat floor would look better to me and would also save you lines for more important things. While you're at it, I'd suggest changing that ceiling flat as well. It doesn't really work well repeated in large amounts like that and generally is just useful for lifts.

Yeah, The ceiling was a leftover I never got around to fixing. 
As much as I personally like the floor I'm going to kill it, I think something like that is probably best reserved for much smaller halls or more forgiving formats such as udmf.
I thought it looked nice though, so it's something to think about for my own project.

Didn't take long at all, and made a significant improvement while still allowing room for other types of details I wouldn't have had room for before.
Plus it's not a phone pic!

Untitled.png

Current plan as a result of playtesting...

akdm25 2nd major change.png

ak25jpcurrent.png

Edited by joepallai : better screenshot added