Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EllipsusD

Just tossing this idea out...

This really doesn't have anything to do with Doom, but since this has a bit more to do with storytelling than anything else I figured that it would fit better in here than in Religion and Politics.

I don't know if any of you have played the game Summoner (released on both PC and PS2), but it's the base to how all of this came about. A friend of mine has the game, but only really played a few hours into it. Apparently this is enough time for him to feel like he has a good grasp on all that's going on in the game, and he started to talk about remaking the game... at first just to cut out the obscene load times, but after that he started wanting to remake the game as a more twisted version of itself. Being the kind of person who would seriously consider certain ideas like this, I started tossing out ideas about how this game could be structured. The first idea to go was the whole 'remake' crap... the game would be better if it were not a remake... but simply inspired for some of the concepts of the game (not that either of us really know much about the game considering I've played less than an hour of it, but that's beside the point).

Basically I was wondering what you guys thought of the current level of brain storming. It's been left up to me to write a story for this idea, and I would really like to know if I'm on the right track. Here's some of what I've got so far:

The current setting is in the late 1800's, but a futuristic-but-not-over-technological time period is also a possibility, in England(possibly). The main character is a child... maybe 10-13 years old... in a run-down asylum. Reason for being there? When he was younger his parents were attacked by a pair of muggers. His father managed to wrestle the gun from on of them and the kid pickes it up and kills all of them. It isn't like he meant to kill his parents as well, but when it was all said and done he was filled with as much excitement as sorrow. Ever since then he's been locked away.

His room is covered will all manner of drawings, many of themof things that could never possibly exist. The thing is he got tired of taking his medicine and often breaks or tosses away the pills after pretending to take them. One day he is caught breaking apart one of his pills, and the doctor on duty decides that he needs electro-shock treatment to fix whatever is causing to refuse his normal treatment. Realizing what is about to happen to him, he panics and tries to struggle free of the orderlies grip. He suddenly feels a sharp pain in his head and his body goes limp. As his head lolls to the side he can see the for of the drawing he had just been working on start to lift itself from the ground. As it continues to rise the pain becomes so intense that his eyes tear up, blurring and finally clouding his vision, and all he can hear are the screams of the doctor and the orderlies as he hits the ground. He slowly get up and as he dully walks away one two glowing red eyes are visible from behind him just above his shoulders.

It's a premise, but it still needs a lot of work. One of the key points is that he slowly becomes more and more insane the more he summons creatures, and it isn't till the end that everyone, including the people who had helped him along the way, realize how crazy he really is. The final 'boss'... or the guy he's been searching for really isn't even a bad person, but for some reason the main character has a great many false memories that his own mind formulated which lead him to believe that the boss is really an evil horrible person.

The summons are basically manifestations of the creatures in the main character's mind. The fact that they become increasingly more grotesque serves to demonstrate how the boy is becoming less and less stable. That's how it is at first, at least. As his mind becomes more and more adept at creating things that aren't there, the boy eventually gain the ability to summon things that do exist- by transfering them from their original place to wherever he is. However, the transfer has a horrible effect on the physical state of the being that has been transferred, often leaving it incomplete or incorrectly peiced together. In a malevolent twist he even becomes capable of summoning the people who fight against him... as he fights them, producing some very horrible results.

Like I said, it's not a lot, but it's a start? So, any suggestions? Am I heading in the right direction?

That sounds wicked. Maybe you could make it something like an action RPG, where he'd gain EXP by creating these things and killing people with them. When he got to ~max level, he'd be a sort of god with white hair who could do all sorts of stuff, like change his own body...perhaps this could be the final boss: Him fighting his most grotesque creation. What would make it boss-worthy would be that he finally realised what he had done and would lose all of his abilities, left to fight the monster as a regular person (maybe with a mutant arm or something) Sounds like a great premise!

P.S: I had an idea sort of like this a while ago, only it involed a variaty of kids you could choose from who would have different general abilities (telekinesis, super speed, etc)

Those two ideas would make a great game together IMO