Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jointritual

What do the different like / reaction buttons mean?

Just trying to increase my fellow doomers' survival odds. Be careful about when you grant an invisibility though.

40 minutes ago, BeachThunder said:

Why stop there?

I wanna show my appreciation of someone's post with a 5 Skulls Shish Kebob.

Can we show we dislike posts by selecting a BFG shot, then?

it makes things more interactive, and helps elevate quality posts. however, it really works against you when you're trying to troll, so it's a mixed bag.

My system is the more I like a post, the further over from the default soul sphere I go.

I have a bad habit of liking a lot of posts on here. I pretty much like every response to my posts on FB, so that habit carried over.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:27 AM, Dark Pulse said:

Can we show we dislike posts by selecting a BFG shot, then?

I was thinking there could be some imp poop and if the post really stinks a big pile of cyberdung.

I did craft my own little system with this although sometimes I just use the Soulsphere due to laziness. It covers like, funny, insightful and epic post reactions.

Soulsphere = I generally like or approve of this post

Megasphere = This post is either epic or a savage comeback / statement

Invincibility = I find this post funny

Invisibility = I find this post informative

I usually just use the soulsphere for everything. In all honesty though, I don't really care for the like system terribly much. I feel like it encourages people to simply click a button and leave rather than stay and discuss a topic.

I treat the Invul sphere as a "Funny react" counterpart myself (since it has the "happiest" expression of all). SSph and MSph are the "Thumbs up" and "Love it" each, reflecting on their ingame power difference.

I personally don't know what Invisiblity would stand for tho', but if I had to improvise something, I'd say it has to be "respect", "grace", etc. Like, something you don't actually see but can still sense fizzling in the air, just like those black line apparitions on your gun outline.

I generally "+1" for posts I agree with, things I may have said myself, or good points or angles I wouldn't have thought of (whether I agree with them or not, I'm just a fan of sound, logical thinking).

Soulsphere: Interesting or funny post.

Megasphere: Very useful and informative post.

Invisibility: Interesting and I also witnessed what is mentioned in the post.

Invulnerability: Good post that should stay forever in Doom memorial.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:34 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

I wish I could check my number of likes on my profile again :(

Check it out, it's just a hidden page ;)

Edited by riderr3

I've wondered since this new layout started if there was really a difference in which style of "like" one chooses. I get that megasphere is more powerful than soulsphere but why invulnerability sphere and invincibility sphere? Is there really a meaning or difference in all of the rest? If its possible to have more can we? Something that clearly represents like and dislike, such as maybe a dying player sprite or something? or other possible emotions or verdicts? I've tried to think of some and I think I just answered my own question. That would probably end up meaning they would have to be non-doom sprites to make up a lot of different meanings.

Man I sure wonder how this subject is brought up so often.

No, there is no difference between the spheres, it is purely cosmetical. Unless you decide to give them meaning, in which case, there's already topics on the subject. I'm personally fine with this system.

I forgot I even posted this. Sorry I brought it up again I honestly tried to find a thread dedicated to it already before posting but came up short.

Lately I've been wondering if status bar faces would be better. New weapon grin for posts you like. Ouch face for posts that surprise you. Continuous fire grimace for posts you disagree with. And more?

1 minute ago, SiFi270 said:

Lately I've been wondering if status bar faces would be better. New weapon grin for posts you like. Ouch face for posts that surprise you. Continuous fire grimace for posts you disagree with. And more?

Exploding Doomguy head = "Please lock this thread"

I don't react to posts. It's more simple.

To me it goes like this: 

Megaspher like: gives you 200% health and armor. It means a valuable like!!!

Invulnerability like: makes you invulnerable, but just for short time. It means a limited like.

Invisibility like: makes you invisible, so nobody can see you for a short time. It means a limited like.

Soul Shere: gives you 100% health. Valuable like but not like Megasphere which is more.

But as @seed said... it is purely cosmetical. I think it is just people choice. My brother always give Invulnerability spheres, I've seen others that always give invisibility, invulnerability or Soul Spheres. I always like to give Megaspheres besides it has a Mancubus inside.

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

I was about to suggest simply adding the grin and O face but I’ve been beaten to it! I think the whole point of the current “no clear cut meaning” system is an effort to reduce potential drama though.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Exploding Doomguy head = "Please lock this thread"

Hey, which reminds me.  Whatever happened to the exploding Doomguy head?  Or was it just a Playstation exclusive?  It was the only place I've ever seen it.

Hmmm... Curious minds want to know.

23 minutes ago, Roofi said:

I don't react to posts. It's more simple.

I just do it at random if I like the post. I was hoping they had no meaning myself.

28 minutes ago, Barefootstallion said:

Hey, which reminds me.  Whatever happened to the exploding Doomguy head?  Or was it just a Playstation exclusive?  It was the only place I've ever seen it.

Hmmm... Curious minds want to know.

3DO version on every death, PSX/Saturn version on gibbing death.

Hmm, I guess I would interpret them something like this:

Soulsphere     -> Like

Megasphere    -> Mega Like

Invisibility       -> Stealth Like

Invulnerability -> Godlike

Though, personally, I don't bother with the variants.

My interpretation:

Soulsphere     -> ordinary vanila like

Invisibility       -> I see what you did / I read it

Invulnerability -> Lol, ha-ha, awesome

Megasphere    -> Whoah!