Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zaldron

read now bastard

CTRL-C / CTRL-V 'D for your pleasure...

- It looked amazing. The Macworld video did it no justice.

- Saw a bathroom scene (described here) which looked like present day earth mixed in there. Different than the previous space/future tech stuff that was shown before.

- GeForce3 is expected to run the game at 30fps.

- Most likely have 6 different renderer backends specific to videocard manufacturers.

- By the time DOOM is released, next-gen cards will be available (GeForce4 or whatever)

- Characters are around 250,000 polys

- "Real time" tweaking for level designers etc,

- Map compile time is still in the air. Probably 5minutes tops on most systems.

- Dolby 5.1 support is the default

- Total new rendering code base, departure from methods used in all previous Quake engines. Carmack suspects this will be the new technology "template" used for the next 5 years.

- AI? They chose to have zombies and demons for a reason.

- They are "just getting started" on implementing the game.

- A Playstation2 port, if done, would be a total hack-job.

- XBox port sounded like an almost certainty.

- No cameras or videos were allowed during the presentation, doh!

- It'll be released in 2 weeks!

The bath scene :

i saw the whole thingie, since there's no video yet let me elaborate on the post....

the demo we saw was running all in-game scripted stuff, and it was probably about 2 minutes long. after it was finished some id guys hurredly carried the machine out of the room while carmack was talking, like it was a bomb or something. guess they REALLY don't want anyone to get their grubby hands on it.

the demo had a mixture of the old scenes from macworld, and some new scenes as well as old levels from new angles (that bridge opening up for instance). extremely impressive stuff. obviously the whole idea was to show off the lighting and that certainly worked well. the bathroom scene looked unbelievable. some dead guy lying on the floor, and an overhead light swinging back and forth. a monster (almost looked like one of those half life mutant dog thingies but a whole lot bigger) comes out of the shadows and starts kicking and eating the corpse, blood everywhere, etc etc. awesome stuff. other standout moments were an imp of some kind crashing through a giant plate glass window, and LOTS of fire in a few scenes.

carmack said they were targeting 30fps on a geforce3 as ideal. no mention of a processor along with that. he said that is a baseline machine to have all the details turned on. he also mentioned that there would be a way to turn off the extra graphics options, and he also mentioned a "geforce 2 mode" which i assume is that lower detail thing. he also talked about having a lot more pre-fabs form the artists appear in the maps, as opposed to the mappers being the only world modellers. he also said that in some cases the turnaround for map development was instantaneous, no lighting/vis/bsp crap like that

Oh, and the 2 weeks thinguie...please, don't post any crap about it. It's a traditional id joke. :P

Of course, I'm just pasting something I extracted from the Shack. But still...this is beatiful.

Lonely Zaldron, talking to yourself...

But hey; all this makes 'killers' hungry !!!

MORE FOR THE HUNGRY

id Software's John Carmack made his annual QuakeCon address a few hours ago. He began by showing off a demo of the Doom 3 engine. The footage showed some amazing levels that, while dark and futuristic, looked incredible thanks to the dynamic lighting. One level showed a The show stopper was a scene in a bathroom with lights moving across the room while a rather nasty creature nuzzled a corpe. Carmack then talked mostly about the new technology coming in graphics and chatted about how it will evolve in the next few years. (Basically, Carmack said the graphics we see in Toy Story and Shrek will likely show up in games in the next few years).

During the Q&A, Carmack answers a few questions about Doom 3:

Carmack said the rocket launcher will likely be in Doom 3, but "it hasn't been modelled yet".

Although there is no signed contract yet, Trent Renzor will likely do the music for the game.

Since Doom 3 admittly contains zombies and demons as enemies, don't expect huges strides in character AI in the game, according to Carmack. He said he is happy to let other companies handle improvements in human character AI.

Doom 3 may be ported to the Playstation 2, but will not look as good as the PC version. An Xbox port will look just as good as the PC version but its limit of 64 megs of memory will likely force id to segment the levels more for the Xbox game. Carmack has not checked on the GameCube tech and thus had no comment on it.

Graeme Devine is handling a new sound engine from sratch and it will support 5.1 surround sound.

Even though id titles are favorite targets for people who hate violence in games, Carmack said those folks don't really influence how they make their games.

Carmack said while there are some cool things happening in massively multiplayer games, don't expect id to be making those types of titles.

Map rendering in Doom 3 will be a lot shorter than doing the same for Quake III Arena.

"Even though id titles are favorite targets for people who hate violence in games, Carmack said those folks don't really influence how they make their games"

/HUMOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL HAHA LOL

- GeForce3 is expected to run the game at 30fps.

That fucking SUCKS!!
Now I think there over doing it, anything below 40fps is choppy..

At last, a fucking company that uses my video card. Every single frame above 30 is wasted money.

Wait wait wait.. WHat the fuck do they mean "JUST STARTED IMPLENTING THE GAME" If people saw those videos, which were fully textured and had models {RUNNING FUCKING MODELS} and scripted scences {SUCH AS THE IMP CRASHING THROUGH A WINDOW}..How is it..with that, is IT JUST BEING IMPLENTED!? That does not make sence! What the fuck! Some sick sone of a bitch who had an X-10 and a VCR in there van BETTER have a l33t illegal video to show us! Fuck! This is gay.. Damnit!

I'M SO FUCKING GLAD THEY JUST STARTED, IT MEANS IT'S GONNA TAKE THEM MORE THAN 2 WEEKS TO MAKE THE GAME. And with a team like id that's a Good Thing (tm). Just imagine the things they can put in given the right timeframe.

No Zaldron, you missed my point.. they have been woking for WELL over a year now, and in the video, everything is already textured, and there are models. So HOW, can they be JUST implenting things? It, for one thing, does not make sence, if there are already full texures and models, that were shown in the tech videos, both, one being a LONG time ago at MacWorld, and the other, being shown TODAY, with even more textures, levels, and models, AND scripted sences..??

Implementing things means implementing a solid story, working out the mission flow, complete the WHOLE rest of stuff (you just saw 5% of the textures probably), all the models, the sound, the music, the weapons, the testing, more testing and more testing.

id put a lot of effort into those models cause they had to make a show. All the other ones are either untextured, unfinished or unstarted.

Oh goody! *DROOOLS* I just hope it dont come out TOO long from now.. at least by ..fuck.. February? No.. damnit! I need a time machine! No, not to go see DoomIII, to go BACK in time and sell all of my {568} Atari games for $50.00 each and become a millionair.. and THEN go into the future too see DoomIII!!

Hey guys, an update. Read and enjoy. NOT

# The video will not be released to the net. If you missed the event at Quakecon, then you are out of luck.

HOORAY FUCK.

Oh well, at least this black-out won't spoil us. Scary game = you're not supposed to see the stuff before playing.

It's a friggin nightmare, though.

Thank GOD!!!! There hasn't been an id game with some effort put into it since Ultimate Doom for Chrissakes, its about time!

I can easily wait 2 or 3 more years for it if I know that it will be the game to FINALLY make me stop going back to Hexen for a good gaming experience. =)

It's unlikely, but it would be severely cool to have Doom 3 release on 10th December 2003... that's exactly ten years after the original.

This QuakeCon kinda sucked for DOOM stuff (no shots/videos released). Let's hope the next will be better.

WAIT FOR ANOTHER QUAKECON? DAMN i couldnt handle this last month almost, now 12 months AGAIN?! U want me dead or something?:p

I think it would be considerate of Id if they gave there paying customers and fans at least some screenshots of Doom3..I think we deserve it.

Wait another year.. Survival Strategy

q3 2001 Pax Payne
q4 2001 RTCW
q1 2002 .... coma
q2 2002 .... coma
q3 2002 .... coma
q4 2002 DOOM3

To add a bit of salt to Zaldron's reply:

"Kevin Cloud told me it wouldn't be released and that it was just a special thing for those that came to Quakecon."

Redwood (Stomped)

/me wants the friking movie....
/me cannot contain himself much longer
/me must see info on Doom3

Lets spam mail to id till they give us the movie:p.
Damn why cant just release it??? And pleaseeeee is there someone who made some pics or movie of the show..........

I hope stomped is lying:P, cause shacknews is still waiting for final word. And btw, its down atm, so maybe they got something incredible...
Hopefully... :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
1 nice pic would make me jump in the air.........
Come on, its not my fault that i am born thousands of miles away from quakecon:p

Ummh, last time I checked, Redwood went with the id guys for dinner, leaving one of the most frequent news commenters in Stomped (Cygnus) trapped inside QuakeCon with no ride home. :)