Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Something unique about Doomworld

Don't know what it is. I visit other forums but and they're all the same, but there's something unique about Doomworld that I can't put my finger on. Can anyone help me? I don't know what it is, but it's a good thing heh :)

***coughcoughSystemshock2coughcough***

I come here because it's one of the few fourms where people still discuss single player games. oh yeah, doom pretty good to.

999cop said:

Because Doom is the best game ever?

Yeah.

Actually, it's because of the 500 post offer.

What's that you ask? well, if you want to know, it goes something like this:

1. You post 500 times

2. Ling sends you a free bean burrito

3. Everyone posts at Doomworld!

Here's my list of reasons I hang at DW:

1. There are no idiots, and I get along with people better here.

2. It's Doom. Derr.

3. The forums are actually easier to read. Simple, yet brialliant. You go to another forum, and
a. it's too shiney to read anything,
b. color scheme sucks ass, and
c. font is too small you can't read it.

4. See above answers. Heh.

ravage said:

Here's my list of reasons I hang at DW:

1. There are no idiots, and I get along with people better here.

2. It's Doom. Derr.

3. The forums are actually easier to read. Simple, yet brialliant. You go to another forum, and
a. it's too shiney to read anything,
b. color scheme sucks ass, and
c. font is too small you can't read it.

4. See above answers. Heh.

I think it is simplicity and the members. There's no really big trolls here.

Alientank said:

There's no really big trolls here.

Yes there are, but at least we post something intelligent once-in-a-while.

Ling has perfected the forbidden html code for digital crack.

Or maybe we're just a bunch of obsessive personalities?

IMJack said:

Or maybe we're just a bunch of obsessive personalities?

It's all in your mind...

I've disabled all the annoying crap that some forums let you do (make your text bigger? colored text? FLASH? MOVIES?!?) and I discourage/ban behavior that I dislike. I dislike stupidity.

The forums could be a LOT better. If you had ever read the RGCD newsgroups back in their heyday, you'd know what I mean.

I do like the fact that images have been disabled in signatures. Ever been to a forum where people have huge images in the sigs? it fucking annoying, especially with a dial up connection.

Ct_red_pants said:

I do like the fact that images have been disabled in signatures. Ever been to a forum where people have huge images in the sigs? it fucking annoying, especially with a dial up connection.

I got news for you. It's annoying for EVERYONE. Newdoom still uses it.

Darkstalker said:

I like the colors :P

You won't when it gets overused like that pic thAT I CAN'T GET A LINK FROM!! Sorry, where was I? :P

Ct_red_pants said:

True. I also hate REALLY big avatars like in the DoomCenter Forums.

What I find unique about Doomworld is the wide variety of different age groups which was discussed in a seperate thread. This, other than playing Doom, is my way of getting away from the harsh realities of the world. A place where I can talk to Doomers about Doom stuff. Aah, sanctuary... :)

I was just thinking of making a thread simular to this...

I think it's because Doom is Doom. Quite simply one of the best games made. I've also noticed that people here at Doomworld seem to be much more friendly. I went over to neo-geo.com yesterday to post a question about converting NeoGeo joysticks to the PC...I nearly got flamed with my first post! People accuse me of raping SNK! Here, it doesn't seem like people do that. We all seem to get along better. And we don't seem to dis newbies as bad as I've seen in others.

Over at trancecontrol.com I registered in the forums. But those seem to get quite boring at times. Here, there's always something interesting going on.

Linguica said:

The forums could be a LOT better. If you had ever read the RGCD newsgroups back in their heyday, you'd know what I mean.

link?

I dunno, it looks good and most of the subjects/users are cool too. Besides one post on news:alt.doom.something in like a year, this is the only place I post for and about DooM.

Heh, did I ever say 'thank you' to you guys...?

The number one reason for me being here is Doom

And there are quite intelligent people here.

And finally:

Linguica said:

I've disabled all the annoying crap that some forums let you do (make your text bigger? colored text? FLASH? MOVIES?!?) and I discourage/ban behavior that I dislike. I dislike stupidity.

These are the things I think makes these forums good:

People don't come here to show off (except their newest levels or demo's). None of that 1337455 culture here.

The old-timers exodus was actually a good thing in the way that these forums aren't plagued by those threads that are incomprehensible save for a few good friends.

We have a relaxed set of rules that allows people to speak naturally, while they are still enforced strictly enough to catch flamers and trolls.

The forums are old and has a history.

People here come from many countries, are of many religions/denominations and political observances so these forums are free from a choking general concensus about everything. There is only a few things that there are a general concensus about.
These are: Violent games did not turn the columbine kids into killers. The doomguy's name is NOT Flynn Taggart.

I frequent another gaming forum (ironworksforum.com) that has many of Doomworld's good sides but sadly also misses out on a few.

Like Doomworld people who are helpful and knowledgable seem to be the most respected. People go out of their way to help newbies in problems.

Like Doomworld there is a strict no flaming, no trolling policy.

Unlike Doomworld they are very strict in their language policies. You cant even say innocent things like "badass" or "weird shit". This leads to some very constructed language at times.

Unlike here the Ironworks forums are riddled with smilies, coloured text, html coding and big obnoxious graphical sigs (there is a craze with scantily clad manga girls right at the moment). It makes the forums a hell to read sometimes.

There is a lot of old-timers in-speak on some of the forums. Though the moderators has a policy against it and sometimes shows up with a raised finger nothing serious is done about it.

There be a general concensus about many things on the general forums. Being critical/sceptical of the present Bush administration is considered bad tone for example.

Ct_red_pants said:

One forum I go to, which uses the same software as this, gets past this by restricitng people to a no-text pic-only, 40k 325x60 sig. If they don't comply, they get their sig stripped from their profile and get locked out of their User CP (Sig-Banning) until the admins feel like unlocking them. A similar approach could work here.

Trasher][ said:
40k 325x60

I get the feeling that even that would be annoying. However, I'd probably find my little 227x50 DawgMode one. :P

Little Faith said:

Like Doomworld there is a strict no flaming, no trolling policy.

there is one?