Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

"A Brief History of Doom Mapping" by Matt Hrodey

He thinks about coming back. A laptop with a busted power supply in his basement storage unit contains two unreleased Scythe X levels, just gathering dust. It would be “a shame” if they never saw the light of day, he said.

Don't tease us like this, Erik! We're all still salivating over what the possibilities are in Scythe X!

I'm really interested in the unreleased Scythe X levels since it stopped right after things got interesting.

But I'm not holding my breath, and if anything, those are probably the last things we're going to see in the Scythe series.

This article is really interesting. It's really nice to see different mappers and megawads on here.

And that Scythe X bit, I swear to god.

Great article.

Nostril.wad remains filed away in the idgames archive like one of the crates at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, waiting for the world to be ready for it.

Good stuff. Although I don't think the world will ever be ready for the ark or for nostril.wad. Disaster awaits for any who stumble upon them. :D

Really well-written article!  Great to read some of the masters being properly interviewed about their craft too. 

One thing I've always loved about Doom mapping compared to say modern AAA games' maps is the indelible sense of personality in each level: you can really feel the personal touch of the author.  Doom maps aren't just lines of code, they're an artistic expression of someone's own personal creativity.  I'll always thoroughly enjoy learning about the inspirations and paths map authors take to create the works they do.

16 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

As probably Doom's most notorious mapper, it was nice to be publicly recognized by Aquanet. Suck it, world, I'm mainstream now. And Ribbiks is like the coolest guy ever.

Honestly, it's about fucking time. Some of the most memorable Doom maps are your works.

Pretty nice article. I think that for an outsider or someone who isn't familiar with Doom it would be hard to fully understand it.