Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On 2/14/2019 at 2:08 PM, JudgeDeadd said:

I've always thought that the Ophidians in Heretic wear visored helmets, like Hexen's Centaurs. Apparently they don't, and they have creepy menacing faces. However, you can only see their mouths in the "front walking" sprite, and their "front attacking" sprite even looks like they have only one eye (here's the spritesheet) so it's no wonder I've been misdirected for so long.

Just wow. 

1 hour ago, xdarkmasterx said:

i found not escapable pit in ultimate doom i never saw before (fear e4m9)

for anyone wondering where this is or how you get to it:

Edited by bonnie

I found out that pretty much all escapable pits were removed from Jaguar Doom with the exception of the pit at the end of E2M7 (not sure if there were any others, but the ones in E1 were all removed).

2 hours ago, Hellbent said:

I found out that pretty much all escapable pits were removed from Jaguar Doom with the exception of the pit at the end of E2M7 (not sure if there were any others, but the ones in E1 were all removed).

Do you mean that the pits were removed, or the ability to escape them was removed?

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

Do you mean that the pits were removed, or the ability to escape them was removed?

I mean that a lot of pits in DooM are inescapable (the pit in e3m3 secret on either side of the bridge, the pits on either side of catwalk on E1M3, the pit at the start of e1M3; actually, I don't think jaguar made the pit at the start of e1m3 inescapable; but my point is that in Jaguar Doom just about all the damaging pits have been made shallow (so they are no longer pits and you can just walk out of them) 

In E2M4: Deimos Lab, shooting this part of the wall raises the floor of this crusher sector, while the other parts of the wall and the one behind me will just open the door to the secret nearby.

93SXO3t.png

An arch-vile can get stuck in a lengthy uninterrupted loop of reviving if they stumble upon a zombieman actively being crushed under a slow crusher.

Since Ultimate Doom does feature health +1 bonus items, it seems to me that if you can get your health reduced to a value smaller than 7, then you can get it to 7.

Just now, Gez said:

Since Ultimate Doom does feature health +1 bonus items, it seems to me that if you can get your health reduced to a value smaller than 7, then you can get it to 7.

Then tell me in which map(s) you can do so. I mean, even if I reached 1-6% HP in Doom, it's hard to find a health bonus around (that happens many times during my first playthroughs tbh)

stand by....

Even without health potions it should be possible due to the way armor affects loss of health (it effectively breaks the 3hp increment rule).

15 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Then tell me in which map(s) you can do so. I mean, even if I reached 1-6% HP in Doom, it's hard to find a health bonus around (that happens many times during my first playthroughs tbh)

E1M1. The starting room and the green armor one have enough health bonuses for that.

I tried to do it on Episode 4, but when I was getting close to the target hp, I let a lost soul attack me on E4M2, and he double attacked, killing me after taking me to 1hp. So I was then like "why am I making this difficult on myself?" And just went to E1M1 and got it done in less than a minute.

2 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Well, apparently I found out a wrong fact.

Another good place to heal up to 7hp is map18 of Doom 2. There is a room full of health potions. 

25 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

Another good place to heal up to 7hp is map18 of Doom 2. There is a room full of health potions. 

That's why I didn't include Doom 2 in the first place :P

I didn't realize that the soulsphere was originally conceived as an extra life sphere in earlier stages of Doom's development, when they were still tossing around the idea of extra lives. When you think about it, the name fits perfectly for that use.

Not something I just found out... I experienced a Mandela Effect regarding the name of the second difficulty level, which I remember being "Hey, not too rough, buddy" as a child.

1 hour ago, D1m3 said:

TNT Map08

This wall opens that secret door with chainsaw

It's actually possible to lock yourself in that secret, as while the wall trigger is repeatable, the trigger on the inside of the door is a single use trigger.

It only now clicked in my head that I should probably stop calling the untitled track in Ultimate Doom "Hell Keep," because today I remembered Hell Keep is actually not the first map to use that track: Fortress of Mystery is. Also, Fortress of Mystery is the only secret level in UD to not use "Hiding the Secrets" as its track.