Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpammerMike

AI in Doom 3

I would say no. One of the main concepts in Doom is being alone, and seeing other people alive... especially ones that you can control really goes against that. I can't remember if there will be other survivers later on in the game, but I trust them to add these people in an effective way... and that would be them not running around killing things with you.

A while ago I picked up this book from the library. It was called (something like) how to play DooM II and was filled with pictures of all maps, secrets and the best way to play each level (on UV skill only :) ). A chapter in that book was deticated to multiplay (coop) of the levels and DID include strategics for 2-4 players, how to enter and sweep a room and such (keeping in mind that you can hurt other players, of course), and I'd describe the way they explained it in the book as indeed being 'commando-style' coop play. I suspect you could use that technique with the coming DooM as well, since it was kinda fun playing like that in the existing DooMs and other FPS games with no real 'need' for stealth mode and such.

Of course, this won't work if you don't make some rules at the start of a game.

--ADDED

Sorry about my ranting before I read the thread title right, you were talking about computer generated 'help' marines. I think that would indeed make DooM less DooM...

I think it would be cool to see dying marines here and there that can tell you where a secret room or something like that is located. In fact I think id is already putting this sort of thing in Doom3. I just hope they don't overdo it.

Old topics are a bad thing (TM) and no, I don't like NPCs fighting alongside players because they never seem to work.
They usually just shoot you in the back and you typically end up being too occupied trying to save their worthless asses - at least I do, so my final reply to this question is:

NO...WAY!!!

The only NPCs I like to see are those from far away, on a tv or in cut scenes (maybe they're fighting and dying, etc). Normally NPC are just an encumbrance for me.

but if they were nude human females....he he he

NPCs in doom = No.

Simple enough. It just doesn't work. They mostly just get in the way.