Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

That's a tough one. If I can only choose one; I'd give it to Odamex.

But I mostly use GZdoom, Zandronum and Zdaemon. I love them all equally. Each one is unique and different from the other.

zDoom, although I'll eventually have to make the jump to gzDoom. I pretty much exclusively use software rendering, can't stand how doom looks with opengl rendering.

1 hour ago, Count651 said:

zDoom, although I'll eventually have to make the jump to gzDoom. I pretty much exclusively use software rendering, can't stand how doom looks with opengl rendering.

GZDoom has software rendering though, in case you weren't aware.

45 minutes ago, Count651 said:

can't stand how doom looks with opengl rendering

are you don't like smoother (and changed, yes) lighting model, or you forgot to turn off texture filtering? ;-)

p.s.: 'cmon, tally has doom95, but not k8vavoom? now i am offended.

It's not fair to the rest of the ports if k8vavoom is added. There's no competition then :(

Also I have something to say. Since PrBoom+ and GlBoom+ are counted as a single port in the tally, I think GZdoom, QZdoom and Zdoom should also be combined because GZdoom has all of Zdoom's features (including the software render) and also has QZdoom's truecolor renderer.

Similarly I think Zandronum and Skulltag should be combined too as Zandronum is the continuation of Skulltag.

42 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

PrBoom+ and GlBoom+ are counted as a single port because they are different builds of a single program, if I understand correctly. Personally, I use the version that is called PrBoom+, but it contains both software and OpenGL renderers.

I agree on combining GZDoom and QZDoom, because currently GZDoom has everything that QZDoom has, and more.

GZDoom cannot be combined with ZDoom because they have different hardware requirements. There are cases when you can use ZDoom, but not GZDoom. For these cases, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE and ZDoom Classic exist.

Skulltag and Zandronum seem to be pretty different too.

Also, the tally has been updated.

11 hours ago, KVELLER said:

GZDoom has software rendering though, in case you weren't aware.

It also has palette tonemapping. Using that with disabled texture filtering, banded SW lightning, fuzz effect to Noise, sector lighting to Software/Vanilla, no decals, particles, rocket trails, and a few others does a very good job at emulating fake Software rendering/a vanilla look in OpenGL.

1 hour ago, seed said:

It also has palette tonemapping. Using that with disabled texture filtering, banded SW lightning, fuzz effect to Noise, sector lighting to Software/Vanilla, no decals, particles, rocket trails, and a few others does a very good job at emulating fake Software rendering/a vanilla look in OpenGL.

So GZDoom does NOT have SW renderer. Emulation will never be 100% like a real thing.

15 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

So GZDoom does NOT have SW renderer.

"I have a coat."

"Ah! So you have no pants!"

GZDoom has a software renderer. It even has two software renderers. Go to options -> video mode and you have "render mode" which you can cycle through OpenGL, Doom software renderer, truecolor SW renderer, softpoly renderer, and truecolor softpoly renderer.

3 hours ago, m8f said:

currently GZDoom has everything that QZDoom has, and more.

AND GZDoom has everything that ZDoom has, and more. The hardware requirements of running GZDoom in SW renderer is same as ZDoom

3 hours ago, m8f said:

For these cases, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE and ZDoom Classic exist.

if by ZDoom option in the tally you meant these port, then I think mentioning them would be better.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

The hardware requirements of running GZDoom in SW renderer is same as ZDoom

Sorry, but no. There is even a special vintage GZDoom build that supports somewhat older systems.

When there is a vote for ZDoom32/other ZDoom forks, I'll count them as ZDoom and add a mention.

4 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

The hardware requirements of running GZDoom in SW renderer is same as ZDoom

Not anymore. ZDoom is now stuck in 2016. GZDoom has higher requirements now than it had three years ago.

Independently of how the renderer works, you need to display the rendered image on the screen, and for that ZDoom used Direct3D with a fallback to the very old and very deprecated DirectDraw on systems too ancient for Direct3D. GZDoom dumped all that to replace it with OpenGL, allowing to switch freely between software and hardware during runtime. Before, with software rendering going through DirectX for display, it was impossible to switch to OpenGL, and vice-versa, because initing OpenGL made it impossible to init DirectX and vice-versa. Some weird issue that was never really understood made them incompatible.

Thank you. I didn't knew that GZdoom's requirements were higher even for software renderer compared to Zdoom.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

So GZDoom does NOT have SW renderer. Emulation will never be 100% like a real thing.

It has... Kveller literally said that above...

And it has quite a few SW renders too, both truecolor and not. Of course emulation is not the same as true SW rendering, but if you don't want to go for it, you can emulate it very faithfully if you know what to look for.

I´m looking for a Doom source port that features online multiplayer/deathmatch if anyone founds one please let me know

8 minutes ago, nelguy said:

I´m looking for a Doom source port that features online multiplayer/deathmatch if anyone founds one please let me know

There's Zandronum, Odamex and ZDaemon as primary ports. Google them, as those provide online multiplayer and deathmatch.

I haven't played Zandronum in forever. But I remember that I had a hard time finding a vanilla-ish DM server. Most servers were running all kinds of crazy mods. So I'd recommend Zandronum for more casual play (if you like mods and stuff) and ZDaemon for more serious play. ZDaemon has leagues/tournaments if I'm not mistaken and I'm also pretty sure that you'll find more vanilla-like servers on ZDaemon.

13 hours ago, Hekksy said:

Please check out Odamex. It is designed specifically for oldschool Doom deathmatch :)

Oh I could've mentioned that as well. Although I haven't found any Odamex servers with players on them, which is a bit of a shame.

I'd use Doom Explorer rather than Doomseeker, since Doomseeker can't query ZDaemon servers. You'll be missing out on a wide selection of servers otherwise!

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

I'd use Doom Explorer rather than Doomseeker, since Doomseeker can't query ZDaemon servers. You'll be missing out on a wide selection of servers otherwise!

You mean I don't need to have both Doomseeker and ZD pinned to my taskbar?? How's Doom Explorer's wadseeker? Does it have ZD IRC built in?