Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Giant Insect

POLL Do you want RTX? Cross-website-post.

Are you interested in buying a GPU with RTX?  

23 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Are you interested in buying a GPU with RTX?

• Yes, if it's in a different product so that I can buy it separately.
    • Yes, if it's in the same product so that I must buy it if I purchase a GPU.
    • No, the cost would have to be 2x less.
    • No, the cost would have to be 5x less.
    • No, It's just a hype.
    • No, the performance is too low. It must be 10x faster to be worth it.
    • No, the performance is too low. It must be 100x faster to be worth it.
    • No, I don't play games (Lier :) ).
    • I'll wait till all the bugs are worked out, then I'll buy.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/19 at 04:59 AM

Hey, I heard from 1 of the people that do HW reviews that AMD was considering implementing their very own Ray Tracing eXtensions and looking at what people think of RTX.
I got 5 votes in 23 hours at LQ :( so I'm trying to reach a larger audience by posting here. Please vote only on 1 site.
If the RTX GPU has Linux support and some games to play would you purchase a GPU with RTX or RTX like HW? 
Bear in mind that AFAIK current Nvidia GPU's do RTX by partially ray tracing the scene (shadows only), at a low resolution. Then use an AI to fill in the missing shadow pixels and finally use the AI (through DLSS), to blow the image way up to 1080p at an astounding ~30fps (in Shadow if the Tomb Raider) :-[!!! Other (FLOSS) implementations appear to have better performance! http://brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/
My intention is to give AMD some idea of what you guys think.
Some people who have replied thus far think RTX is marketing jargon and/or that this poll is intended to force a technology upon companies.
RTX is not jargon, it is a large portion of current Nvidia GPU's die space. You pay for it.
As for forcing, that was *never* my intention. With AMD about ~1 month ago getting freesync support merged into their driver (leaving the only major thing left being Radeon Chill AFAIK), now is a time when we are considered relevant, at least by one company and have the chance to be included in the conversation!

I'm assuming that if you don't know what RTX is that you want to do your own independent research, but for the lazy here are 2 excellent talks on the matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrF4k6wJ-do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2o_FpNM4g

Feel free to comment also!

Note to voters: Most of the answers that are "no..." become "yes..." if/when Nvidia and AMD do fix the stated problem. And I have listed the common ones.

14 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

No, I use Linux and doubt this is going to have open-source support any time soon.

I get that reply so often. Let me quote myself: "If the RTX GPU has Linux support and some games to play would you purchase a GPU with RTX or RTX like HW?"

I wrote my post that way because if we are to enter the conversation then we have to do so while the HW design is being considered, not when a decision has already been reached.

I also said above that we just got freesync support for AMD GPUs. They are obviously working on drivers for us.

Your post is like saying, "I'm not going to vote in the (US) elections because the presidential candidates are not going to help the average citizen any time soon." They can't help the average citizen until they are elected.

My choice, which isn't here, is "Yes, but only once the cost goes down by a lot." I was supposed to buy a GTX 1070 when it was relatively new, still haven't. By the time I get around to it, there will be better cards for the same price I would have paid then.

I'm going to buy the best GPU available right before my son's birth (July) which will end up being the Titan RTX. I'm not going to be able to buy anything for a few years so I want to future proof for a while.

Whether I want to or not, I'm getting into RTX.

I will say, the comparison Digital Foundry did for Metro Exodus was the first time I thought Raytracing looked really good.

I have a 1080, so aside from the RTX stuff I've got very little incentive to upgrade.

There's no problem with the tech per se, but it will be a good 3-5 years before it's in a GPU that all but the high-end buyers can afford, and a few years past that before games start assuming players will have it in general.

So in short, it's not worth it so much right now if you got something fairly recent, but give it a few years and it's probably worth it.

I play on a laptop, so not sure how I should answer? There's no option for "No because I can't buy discrete GPUs"

Lots of options, yet my choices are still limited, so I didn't vote.

Any new technology that pushes graphics further is a good thing. That said, as a consumer I am only willing to pay so much. $300 is usually the top-end I'm willing to spend on a GPU, and even then that's sometimes only once every five or six years, if that. Until these features trickle down into more common, more affordable (to me) mid-range graphics card models, I don't have an issue avoiding them and making do with what I've already got.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

My choice, which isn't here, is "Yes, but only once the cost goes down by a lot." I was supposed to buy a GTX 1070 when it was relatively new, still haven't. By the time I get around to it, there will be better cards for the same price I would have paid then.

Just select "No, the cost would have to be 5x less." and once the cost is 5x less then it will be "Yes, now that the cost has come down by 5x".

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

I play on a laptop, so not sure how I should answer? There's no option for "No because I can't buy discrete GPUs"

Oops. Sorry, I should have thought of that.

But gaming laptops do have the beefy GPUs inside.

8 hours ago, Grazza said:

You forgot to include options for those whose main interest in a GPU is for chess analysis.

RTRTXC (Real Time Ray Tracing eXtensions for Chess), I had no idea it was a "thing". ;)

More seriously, how could I make a question about ray tracing into a question for chess analysis? I really don't see how they are compatible.

Because there is a new generation of chess engines that run on the GPU, and get the best performance on RTX cards.

4 hours ago, Grazza said:

Because there is a new generation of chess engines that run on the GPU, and get the best performance on RTX cards.

But the question is specifically about the RTX HW inside the cards. Can the chess engines use that? Maybe, if you say that every chess piece is a ray and every square on the board is an object you could, theoretically, "ray trace" your chess pieces.

But I don't know for certain so I must stick with gaming and rendering.

to clarify a little: i don't care even if it will get non-windows drivers. and prolly won't care over next decade (or even two).

p.s.: k8vavoom won't support that, and that is the only engine i care about. ;-)

I've heard of RTX as there are tons of meme's going around about it (not that i really care much about meme's) but i don't really know too much about it. It doesn't apply to me anyways as it is too much money and i don't plan on upgrading my PC anytime soon as i only built my current (and first) desktop around 3-4 yrs ago and it sat mainly unused for about 1-2 of those yrs (or with light usage). It was "sort of" a budget build but it cost me plenty as i needed literally everything; from a mouse pad to a chair and a desk. 

I'm not going to just upgrade my GPU (4GB GTX 960) as that would be silly imo. It would create quite a bottleneck against my FX-6300 if i did buy the "latest and greatest" GPU but not update anything else, although i know that people often do just that. Since i'm still on Win 7 (as it wasn't shoved down my throat) i more than likely couldn't use any newer hardware anyways.

So i voted "No, It's just a hype."

I originally was going to buy an RTX card to replace my old R7 250, and then I saw those prices. Ray tracing is certainly nice, but it's still in its infancy. It is NOT worth that much imo, so I went with "No, the cost would have to be 2x less."

12 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I've heard of RTX as there are tons of meme's going around about it (not that i really care much about meme's) but i don't really know too much about it. It doesn't apply to me anyways as it is too much money and i don't plan on upgrading my PC anytime soon as i only built my current (and first) desktop around 3-4 yrs ago and it sat mainly unused for about 1-2 of those yrs (or with light usage). It was "sort of" a budget build but it cost me plenty as i needed literally everything; from a mouse pad to a chair and a desk. 

I'm not going to just upgrade my GPU (4GB GTX 960) as that would be silly imo. It would create quite a bottleneck against my FX-6300 if i did buy the "latest and greatest" GPU but not update anything else, although i know that people often do just that. Since i'm still on Win 7 (as it wasn't shoved down my throat) i more than likely couldn't use any newer hardware anyways.

So i voted "No, It's just a hype."

Concerning your setup, I'm quite certain that you're totally correct. You'd just bottle neck in the CPU or RAM.

Just to clarify, the idea was that the companies are deciding to do this now. So you need to think a few years into the future and have the conversation with the companies now.

Only if they are still the big boy card in 2-3 years. I have other priorities and building a high-end or even a mid-tier PC are out of the picture for now.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, Giant Insect said:

But the question is specifically about the RTX HW inside the cards.

Well, your question was "Are you interested in buying a GPU with RTX?"

The hardware capabilities that are used for ray-tracing also lend themselves well to neural networks. I'll quote the !nn TCEC chatbot message:

A gpu and similar processors include circuitry for very fast vector inner product (dot product). NN programs do a huge number of inner products. Therefore, NN based engines gain from access to a gpu. Non NN engines do not have a (known) way to take advantage of gpus.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:22 AM, Grazza said:

Well, your question was "Are you interested in buying a GPU with RTX?"

The hardware capabilities that are used for ray-tracing also lend themselves well to neural networks. I'll quote the !nn TCEC chatbot message:

Here's an Nvidia slide. Notice that the RT HW is separate from the AI tensor cores and the Cuda (Normal GPU type) cores (They're the INT32 and FP32 HW pictured). Access to a "GPU" and a "GPU's RT cores" are different things.

RTCore.png