Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nootrac4571

BFG / Exit door source

9 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

send a photo with the view of a bfg9000 :v

Oh, absolutely - once I set up the light box and decent camera tomorrow I will bore you to death with photos.

1 hour ago, Nootrac4571 said:

BFG-MACHINE-comparison.gif.becf1bafc4ddd84451cab45240d30c08.gif

As it happens I'm working on a job right now with access to a very good camera and proper studio lights, so I should be able to take some much better pictures in the next week or two. After dithering for a bit about whether to despoil an archaeological relic, I think I've decided to peel off the "THE MACHINE" sticker, which will make for more BFG-accurate images.

To be honest, that sticker could probably disappear with a minimal amount of photoshopping - the area on the BFG sprite where it would be is virtually blanked.

Very nice! This weapon also makes an appearance in my texture set OTEX, seen here in Eviternity map09:

Screenshot_Doom_20190120_104153.png.80016ddd4800ea5d2180a0349beced6c.png

This is legitimately the most accurate highres sprite job ever. (Apart from that missing BFG logo)

13 hours ago, elend said:

This is legitimately the most accurate highres sprite job ever. (Apart from that missing BFG logo)

I'm going to try to add that in a few days, as well as improve the colour accents, as I did them pretty quickly on a laptop rather than my proper machine.

The next bit is trying to recreate the barrel at the top. That's from a photo of a "Rambo" licensed toy M60, (also used for the Plasma Gun,) which is harder to find and probably a lot more expensive, so I might have to fake it instead.

I've done a bit more work on this - edited a bunch of shadows and highlights to better match the lighting of the original sprite, redrawn the tinted areas, and added the "BFG" label in the bottom right:

1349966530_HDBFG02.jpg.dc17e81c6a38f7478567e0225db17b92.jpg

Comparison with original sprite:

HDBFG-02-comparison.gif.a01ebe5538536c0fa383c9789362dd12.gif

And just for fun, downscaled and paletized to match the original:

SDHDBFG.jpg.ff5a32ef0af837dda3d2db9d24154842.jpg

Still don't know what I'm going to do about the barrel though. I had a quick look to see if I could find the Rambo dart-firing M-60 for sale anywhere, but no luck (and one long-expired listing had it priced at $500! Blimey.)

There are a few pictures of the relevant part floating around, but none from a straight-down-the-barrel perspective.

105022472_PGtoy02.jpg.39e83b2cf4158d0e88ce685671823533.jpg1957414135_PGtoy03.jpg.1a7936d62461273f8d083f65b5cef3f5.jpg

1895922637_PGtoy01.jpg.e2d1e2921b9bff8d9248cb256b2cedb7.jpg

That looks really good. I think a decent enough render of the barrel should suffice?!

2 hours ago, Space Marinara said:

Maybe someone can neural upscale the barrel until a real one surfaces?

That might not be a bad start. The target resolution is about 15x the original though, so it'd be asking a lot from the algorithm to go all the way.

1 hour ago, elend said:

That looks really good. I think a decent enough render of the barrel should suffice?!

Yeah, I think that's what I might do. I'm not amazing at 3D modelling though. It'll be a good excuse to get some practice in anyway.

I'm still working on this - planning on modelling the barrel in 3D, but there's a slight issue: There's a bit of detailing which is pretty open to interpretation. Specifically, the vertical line at the centre:

1351379989_bfgbarreldetail.jpg.8f703ea7475623f4ee89e0de10a9cac3.jpg

The problem is, this detail doesn't seem to exist in the actual physical toy - the top of the plastic barrel appears to be completely smooth and featureless:

912739664_m60topdetail.jpg.10b2c4b160d283da9b72385293705bdb.jpg     

As far as I can tell - and this is a bit of a conjecture, so I may be wrong - the vertical line is an artefact of the way the sprite was created. if you look closely, you can see that both sides are completely identical; only one side of the barrel is actually digitised, then flipped to create the other side. I think this is what's going on:

1372617073_barrelmirroring.jpg.a00018941d0f5cb926daf31daf3c7ecb.jpg

This means two things:

1) The PG and BFG barrels in the sprites are substantially wider than the actual toy.

2) the detail in the centre doesn't exist anywhere other than in the final sprites, so there isn't any further information as to what exactly it should look like in HD.

So I'm going to have to take some artistic license. I've got to decide how I'm going to interpret that tiny line of pixels.

Some options:

857719127_barreloptions.jpg.b35ebedc0cf52f8c8b9b086c86013121.jpg

What do people reckon? Any preferences?

Before reading your analysis I would have sworn it should look like the middle-right example but I have to say the lower-left makes sooo much more sense now.

15 minutes ago, Space Marinara said:

Before reading your analysis I would have sworn it should look like the middle-right example but I have to say the lower-left makes sooo much more sense now.

I absolutely agree - Middle-right was my initial plan before properly looking into it, but lower left makes more sense physically. But I think making it match how the sprite actually looks is probably more important than trying to reflect what's actually going on with the digitised photos. Maybe?

I like top right the best, but middle right is good, too.

On the sides, I think it is supposed to be ridges rather than grooves, and at least as tall as they are wide, sort of like cooling fins.  If you are going to stick with grooves, make them at least twice as deep.

I also quote for the middle right version.

Best fucking HD version of the BFG!

Shoot me, i completely miss that thread. Some great stuff is here. 

9 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

What do people reckon? Any preferences?

I would say that the middle right is winner for me as well

for me, it is definitely lower left. what is the reason of those... things on the right side? it definitely doesn't look like something that has a reason to exist. while lower left looks logical.

that can be a nice sprite for some alternative/advanced BFG in weapon mods, i guess. it looks great, and still resembles the original BFG enough to be recognizable!