Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Favorite Megawad?

Nanami said:

I'm already playing Fragport. Love it. ^_^

Me too, I started doing a demo set for it.

fav megawads:
10 sectors (specially map 17)
AV (specially map31)

fav minimega:
Nimrod

fav 1 map single player:
Phobia

:p

This must be like the 58th this has been asked.

Hrm, I don't know which one I like...let's just say all.

I don't really play them much, no time you see, one day i'll have to sit down and play through some of them ;)

kristus said:

fav 1 map single player:
Phobia

:p

Yes, superlative.
Fragport, I keep recording a level every now and then. It'll still be a while before I'm done but I'll let you know when I'm there.:}

Realm of Chaos (txt)

Not the best, but since no-one's mentioned it so far, I thought I would :)

I think it's on a par with Icarus; some good levels, some, uh, not so good.

Alien Vendetta, closely, very closely followed by Momento Mori. Really, anything by Team TNT is always a bit special.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

This must be like the 58th this has been asked.

True, but something useful always comes out of these threads, especially when they are not restricted to discussion of the well-known megawads. I have downloaded several wads as a result of recommendations in this one, for instance. I think there should be one of these threads every couple of months, at least.

RjY said:

Realm of Chaos (txt)

Not the best, but since no-one's mentioned it so far, I thought I would :)

I think it's on a par with Icarus; some good levels, some, uh, not so good.

Ah yes, Realm of Chaos, that was the first Magawad that I downloaded and played on single player, and on multiplayer, very Good one, imo.

All of the megawads magikal mentioned I´m still playing. So, when I´m bored with one, I change to another. BTW, I have never seen such an abusive use of the silver texture like in Icarus map02! Maybe a huge lack of imagination...? Not to mention the fact that it´s pretty boring! That just proves the fact that the first (three) maps of a megawad usually are boring, IMO. I think it´s because they are always faced as warm-up maps, so people involved in building them think there´s no need to give much attention to these maps. Well, a megawad usually is a collection of single maps (since they have no connection between them in most cases), so why not giving the same kind of attention given to a single map released separately (with a good design and a monster count above 100)?

One more thing: can someone tell me where I can get the 10 sectors wad (1 and 2)? I have searched for them in 3darchives and doomsearch, but couldn´t find...

Try the very website that these forums are located on.

The 10 sectors contest was actually a Doomworld feature. Back those days when Doomworld was still proud of itself.

Three way tie between Alien Vendetta, Memento Mori, and 2002ADO.
Im surprised no one mentioned Aliens TC in one of their lists.

That's because it's not a megawad. If I remember right, it only covers one episode. Of course, I haven't played it in years.

One episode does not a megawad make.

Also Aliens TC is one of the few wads out there that really deserves the title TC (Total Conversion) so why call it anything else.

Well, the original question was "Which is your favourite megawad?" However, the discussion has become widened (following Nanami's post) to "Which levelsets do you recommend?".

OK, this is partly my "fault", but IMO it makes the thread more useful, and I think it would be artificial to recommend only megawads when there are little-known episodes/"mini-megas" out there that are just as much worth playing.

OMFG! I just played the first few levels of 10sector. That was incredible. Definetely not what I expected. Never thought to use sectors like that.

Cacodreams said:

Well, a megawad usually is a collection of single maps (since they have no connection between them in most cases)

Not in my case, as I always make them connect to each other, and make the whole thing into a kind of adventure. (complete with storyline)

Assmaster said:

OMFG! I just played the first few levels of 10sector. That was incredible. Definetely not what I expected. Never thought to use sectors like that.

I have just dled 10sector and it´s great!!! At the beginning, I doubted that there were just 10 sectors in each map. Then I took a look in a editor and the stupid me realized that it was possible ´coz many sectors can be given the same number, but then they will share the same ceiling and floor heights and flats. Hey!!! Many maps in my all-time favorite theme: tech-bases (including the winner, map30, a kind of hellish base), but others are good too.

Hey, Ultimate DooMer, BTW, your Fragport is very good!!! I must confess that at the beginning, when I dled it, I got a little frustrated, but the frustration got away just right when I started playing it. The maps are indeed connected, like an adventure as you said, and even one map in the ep1 style (map10 I think) has a personal style (big scale like other maps). But the room with the archviles don´t work right, coz you can kill ´em before the walls rise up, forming the maze.

Note to Ling: ban me if I keep spamming to raise member status

ROFL.

Btw, the best megawads I have played is AV, MM1 and 2, requiem, and some others... :)
I can't remember... there is alot of good maps/megawads.

sargebaldy said:

the talosian incident. the atmosphere here is amazing.

You hate Memento Mori but you love Talos? Talos had decent gameplay, but some of the levels looked like total newbie piles of crap. Plus MM had a much much better soundtrack :P

Note to Ling: ban me if I keep spamming to raise member status

0_o

Aaaannyways, any megawad is good for me; only because I can't choose.

Best megawads:
Eternal Doom. It's just so good.
AV. Same as above.
S*T*R*A*I*N. Because it's just so good.

Good megawads:
2002ado
MM1/2

less good megawads.
Requiem , Crappy gameplay lowers the experience. Great designs though.
Icarus , Crappy maps lower the experience.

ok. that's all I can think of.