Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Who is the best doomer on Doomworld?

Is it time for a little friendly DW competition? Hmm? Hmmmm? Hmmmmmmm?

I'm thinking a single player competition, since single player seems by far more popular these days. Not sure how it would work. A wad would be chosen... voted on? Elected? for selection; or a series of wads, or... no wad, so that people involved in making the chosen levels would get to participate without being at an advantage. 

I suppose there could be 5 levels selected. Whoever performs the best on the 5 levels gets awarded top spot. I guess if I could have my druthers I'd pick map10 from doom 2 as one of the levels. Fastest to get 100% kills? Or isn't there a doom-score patch? Maybe some kind of complicated system: you get points for timeliness in completing a level, but also points for how many kills you get, with the bias being towards killing stuff, because we don't want to encourage pacifist play in a competition to decide who is the best doomer!

Basically, I would want the competition designed in such a way as to try to highlight who has the best skills playing doom. So the competition wouldn't be about highlighting who knows the most doom maps the best, or who can get max kills or 100%/100%/100% the fastest on certain maps, but more to highlight who has the best reflexes and combat skills. To that end, maybe there could be a community wad project for the mappers among us who don't care to prove their doomin' mettle; but would rather make the wad that the competition would participate in. 

I wish there was some way to lock a wad from being viewed in a doom editor. I wonder if it would be possible to make such a patch. And then password encrypt it so you would need to know the password in order to remove the lock for viewing in an editor. So that people wouldn't be able to study the wad before playing it. :D

Well, I guess there are a lot of different kind of players who love Doom, ones who love to get 100% kills, other 100% items, others 100% secrets, others 100% everything, others fastest time and so on...

So is really fastest to get 100% kills being a "Doomer"? I'd rather say who's the one who is most likely to deserve a title such as The Doomslayer rather than a Doomer. Mostly if you want to highlight the reflexes and combats skills.

But anyways, even if I'm not into competitions and stuff, I think it would an interesting experiment, if the community members are interested enough that is.

And yeah, it would be really helpful to find a way to make sure people don't study the WAD before the competition. If people are really interested in doing this competition they could make a Discord group or something and schedule a day to make the event and someone trusty should send the WAD at some designed time with a limit time to play and end the map. (I know there's probably many other better ways to make the competition, this is just an idea that came to mind).

Also it would be ideal if everyone records their gameplay just to make sure in case each one of them are playing in singleplayer.

I don't think it's a good idea to make it on a multiplayer server at the same time because of the latency problems that many players could have and also, if they are playing one by one, the last ones would have advantage in map knowledge over the first ones.

Other way that "could" work, although I'm not sure if it's possible, is to make an equally-fair map randomizer (at least monsters randomizer?) but this would be hard and even so maps wouldn't be totally equal so it's quite hard to tell if they are truly equally-fair: for example, even if the maps themselves are the same and they all have the same quantity and types of monsters, the disposition may result in a difficulty variation factor (e.g. Barons on a small corridor vs Barons on the stairs).

Edited by SirJuicyLemon

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I think your discord suggestion with a set timeframe to play and record your game is a great idea. Could even become a once a week competition; Sunday afternoons or something. :)

11 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

And yeah, it would be really helpful to find a way to make sure people don't study the WAD before the competition. If people are really interested in doing this competition they could make a Discord group or something and schedule a day to make the event and someone trusty should send the WAD at some designed time with a limit time to play and end the map. 

Ahh, yes, I am aware of this. A little more informal (no gun going off before the competition as it were) but yes, definitely accomplishes the goal of seeing who is the badassest of them all. 

4 minutes ago, dew said:

What an excellent idea, if only there was a way to challenge people surpris-

Oh. There was 18 of them....

Will this happen again sometime soon? I wonder if I should get myself a gaming mouse or if a run of the mill optical mouse is precise enough?

Depends on our Russian friends who organize these competitions exclusively!

I play Doom and WADs only on Ultra Violence, i never use freelook, jump, crouch nor any other cheats. My skills even remotely are not the best, but that makes game harder and more challenging. I may need a lot of time and retries, but i always beat any kind of levels. I would not win competition, but i think i'm good Doomer since i never give up just like a Doomguy.

7 minutes ago, Doom Marine said:

the best doomer is the one having the most fun

Certainly an interesting way to think about it. Have never really thought about it like that. But I guess the whole idea of the "Best" doomer is completely subjective. 

Probably anyone who doesn't use saves, pistol starts in an episode/megawad, only plays on UV, maybe prefers -fast, and is capable at slaughter maps, combined. I can't say I'm there yet, but I don't shy away from UV or slaughter maps. I'm aiming to annihilate save scumming, and only do start saves (key saves at the very least if the map is really difficult for me). Also respecting the original engine behavior and quirks (like decor objects not blocking projectiles and infinite height) in anything that isn't designed for G/ZDoom. Auto aim is also a must, even if one could argue that auto aim off and mouse look adds another mechanic to juggle in Doom (since you need to manually aim up or down at something higher or lower to hit it) as you never had to worry about looking up or down, thus complicating combat less. But mouse look does still enable you to hit things much further up or down than auto aim was suppose to detect, so that's still kinda cheat-y. I also like to hold down run, even if that only makes things arbitrarily more 'difficult', it's just one extra key to hold down.

He's pretty good: 

I don't like saving and loading, which pretty much means I rarely finish a map. :D 

I always wanted a multi-faceted Doom competition that was all part of a larger overarching tournament or something. A UV-max segment, a speedrunning segment, a deathmatch segment and maybe even more? I know most people like to focus on one area mainly but the results (and gameplay footage) of such a competition would be super interesting and entertaining. I'd do terribly overall but it would be a cool way to 'guage' each doomer's doomability!

1 hour ago, Kira said:

I will be the best Doomer.

Now that's a nice dream. Heh, too bad I'll probably be long, long dead before reaching that point :v.

11 minutes ago, seed said:

Now that's a nice dream. Heh, too bad I'll probably be long, long dead before reaching that point :v.

What matters is to keep the hotblooded spirit of the young doomer.

The best doomer on Doomworld is the one that continue's Doom legacy long after we're all gone, while we're fighting demon's in the afterlife.

I'd nominate Nevanos and MrZzul (Killer5) for sure.

Their skillsets are definitely impressive, and they can attempt the same map again and again if they need to (demos) or are having fun, so I'd say from watching them that they're probably the best I'm aware of.

I don't know , J4rio and Ancalagon are really good and wel-known maxxers but I remember the impressive fast demos made by Tatsurd-cacocaco on Epic 2.

Best Doomer clearly and undoubtedly is Hi Jango. He's so busy beating records that he doesn't even have time to upload the demos anymore, let alone post anything on Doomworld.

12 hours ago, pcorf said:

Best Doomer?. Certainly not me.

Well, it's not me! I tend to get killed in my own maps. ;)