Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2019 Mentionation Thread

Hydrologica by Shawny. An episode-long single map which shows an amazing level of restraint on the ZDoom garnish.

Neon DM, even in beta, is of the best looking and most fun deathmatch wads I have ever played.

DOOMBA is just awesome. 

Quasar hasn’t won an espi yet?? Wtf lets fix that shal we?!

2d Hangar a recreation of E1M1 in 2.5D perspective.

It can load even on the DOS engine but it is mostly preferred to be loaded to a port with chasecam and camera angle customization.

15 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

@MadGuy It's considered pretty bad to nominate your own work.

Oops, I didn't know. Thanks for the info through.

7 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

@MadGuy It's considered pretty bad to nominate your own work.

This same thing happened last year, as I recall, which is why "don't toot your own horn ffs" was added to the 2018 Mentionation thread's title.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:16 PM, ReaperAA said:

+++Eviternity (didn't play yet but just from the videos/pics it looks awesome)

+++Refracted Reality (eye candy/ yummy pics)

+++Deathless (pure old schooly/ classic)

I want to add to my old comment that Eviternity wouldn't have been the same without OTEX, so

+++OTEX (This definitely deserves a cacoward in its own category)

On 12/16/2018 at 11:32 PM, Not Jabba said:
  • everything released from about mid-November 2018 onwards is up for consideration for the 2019 Cacowards.

Oh cool, because I want to nominate Flotsam.

And obviously Eviternity + Refracted Reality (last one in advance, but I know for sure I'll be blown away by it).

Just now, seed said:

@Catpho I don't get your point though.

What was I supposed to understand from that?

It was already mentioned at the 2018 Cacowards, so just dunno if it's eligible to win a main Caco again :P

Just now, Catpho said:

It was already mentioned at the 2018 Cacowards, so just dunno if it's eligible to win a main Caco again :P

Oh, didn't know that, didn't really follow the 2018 topic too closely.

I'll also vote +++Eviternity just in case I haven't already - though it's such a slam dunk that it is probably superflous...I'm not even sure I'd say Scythe II or Valiant were THIS obvious to be in.

I known Mockawards was discontinued a few years back but I feel like Speedzec from the Russian Doom Community deserves a special mention.   

Not sure if it's late or anything but i still think MetaDoom could have had an appearence at the Cacowards.

* It's about every Doom game ever made and some more parts of the franchise's history.

* It has a variety of content and tries to balance it and offer ways to make it a bit more "map friendly" (like making its SS guards/Keen replacements optional).

* Has some good amount of references, details, easter eggs and ideas.

* That Spider Mastermind design by DrPySpy.

Maybe it's because it's one of those mods that took a while to "grow" in the sense that the latest version always feels like the "ultimate" version.

The mod is possibly the best tribute anyone could have done to the series.

If i were to use some probably pretentious take, it could be seen as to Doom what Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse is to Spiderman i guess.

If i were to give another mod a mention it'd be Dakka by Ijon, since it's a simple yet really fun mod.

A possible recommendation for a potential candidate of an Espi is Christoph Oelckers. While not such a household name, he made... GZDooM. 

Eviternity was excellent in every aspect. Although it touched slaughterwad aspects with some of the combat scenarios it didn’t really feel like it with how they executed it. 6/5 recommend it on uv if you want a nice breath of what doom has become. Also, who is genuinely excited about the new bethIDsda game coming out?

Is Eviternity's Map 32 "Anagnorisis" possibly one of the best modern DOOM maps ever made? It's massive but full of tight spaces; it's open-ended, but has a linear flow and progression; it's one level, but thematically diverse; it's full of monsters, but not a blind slaughter-fest. It's the map that just keeps on giving.

Edited by Kroc : insert missing "that"

Deathless is absolutely stellar. A great example of how simple design can still be clever and even visually attractive. Even just changing the skies to contrast with the usual Doom smorgasbord of red and brown brings out a lot of color from everywhere. The maps were mostly easy to medium difficulty but the encounters still felt varied and creative despite the small monster roster.

And yeah, Eviternity. I haven't finished it yet but it's just a given at this point.