Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I've seen monsters gibbed from melee attacks (usually the Baron of Hell gibbing a Zombieman or something), but yesterday I saw an Imp gib a Zombieman for the first time. Zombieman must've had almost nothing in health left for that to be possible, right?

25 minutes ago, peach freak said:

I've seen monsters gibbed from melee attacks (usually the Baron of Hell gibbing a Zombieman or something), but yesterday I saw an Imp gib a Zombieman for the first time. Zombieman must've had almost nothing in health left for that to be possible, right?

It's the negative of its spawn health. In a Zombieman's case, that's 20, so an attack that pushes it to -20 would gib it.

This means depending on how much health it has, it'd need to be anywhere from 40 (full health) to 22 (1 hit point + 21 extra damage for -20) damage to gib.

An Imp can do up to 24, so if the Zombieman was nearly dead, it's entirely possible.

On 9/25/2011 at 9:38 PM, Torturephile said:

DOOM's startup menu has a Baron of Hell, Demon, and gibbing Zombieman in the background.

Isn't there a cacodemon as well?

2 minutes ago, ChicagoTrash said:

Yeah, but that's in the foreground, not the background.

Doom-1-.gif

Everytime I expand my sprawling, linedef intensive catwalk, I have to reduce the overall size of my map (the blockmap) because the nodebuilder balks. That's more to do with editing doom than playing doom though.

21 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

doom23.png

This line that lowers the secret soulsphere in E2M2 is a W1 line.

That screwed me over so many times as a kid...

On 2/18/2019 at 6:31 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I also learned this last time I played through the level... I decided to take a quick rest there, and you can probably guess how it went from there...

A little while back I discovered a blue armor tucked away in the cubbyhole of a pillar in the nukage leading to the soulsphere in Doom's E1M7. I always paid zero attention to it and didn't think to move around it to find there was a pickup there the whole time. A major pickup at that! Even to this day I still miss secrets in the IWADs, unless they're busted.

On 1/13/2019 at 2:28 AM, Gez said:

Any type of dead demon, from the description.

I'd exclude those that are not roughly humanoid (so cacodemon, pain elemental, arachnotron, spider mastermind, and lost soul) though. I'd also probably exclude the mancubus and cyberdemon on account on not having all their limbs; a revenantified version of them would probably keep the cyber parts. I'm going to assume spectres are already the undead version of pinky demons, because they're ghostly and their name is one associated to undead.

Of course, imps, knights & barons, and arch-viles have varying sizes and morphologies so you could expect different skeleton shapes. That's a good point, to which my retort is: #1 it's magic and #2 yeah they weren't going to make three different sprite sets.

I always figured that revenants were arch-viles that were resurrected by other arch-viles( I know this can't happen in the game)and maybe the combination of their fire nagic and healing magic caused the now-resurrected arch-vile to lose it's flesh, becoming a revenant.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:13 AM, Hellbent said:

Everytime I expand my sprawling, linedef intensive catwalk, I have to reduce the overall size of my map (the blockmap) because the nodebuilder balks. That's more to do with editing doom than playing doom though.

How big is the blockmap, and what tools are you using to build your map with?

On 2/19/2019 at 12:31 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Still to this day I habitually wait for the lift to return, in order to press the inner switch that lowers it permanently, even though the secret is now empty and there is no reason to return to it.

FWIW the plasma gun lift is also single-use. But the player is unlikely to notice, as it is much less likely to miss picking it up before the lift returns.

Both have a similar setup: first a single-use down-wait-up-stay lift trigger for time-limited access, but with success also granting access to a second switch that permanently leaves the holding sector lowered and available. Presumably these were added for multiplayer benefit.

The differences are of course that the soulsphere lift is a walk trigger while the plasma gun is a switch, and also that the plasma gun can still be acquired even with missing the lift, because its lower-to-lowest switch can be pressed from the floor below.

(I'm sure every reader has known all this for years, but for the sake of completeness...)

5 hours ago, RjY said:

(I'm sure every reader has known all this for years, but for the sake of completeness...)

I did not know any of this. If I did know it at one time, I have since forgotten it. So, thank you RjY.

18 hours ago, zokum said:

How big is the blockmap, and what tools are you using to build your map with?

Was using DB2 now I'm using DBX. I don't know how big the blockmap is; but the map itself is very large (about 30,000x30,000 units).The max floor/ceiling range is around 9,000.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, ChicagoTrash said:

I'm surprised that you quoted my reply considering I wrote it back in 2011.

Yes, the cacodemon is clearly visible and in full color, but I didn't include it in my reply because I always noticed it, but at the time I realized that the red background had a few other enemies in it. Today, looking at Dark Pulse's image, I noticed for the first time the dying marine next to the baron of hell.

3 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

I'm not sure if Doom 2016 posts are allowed in this thread but this is what Doom Slayer's player model looks like in third person.

Explains why you can't see your feet, then. DooMguy just rotates all of spacetime around him since his helmet doesn't allow much in the way of neck movement.

5 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

I'm not sure if Doom 2016 posts are allowed in this thread

We're in the classic doom section. Maybe someone should create a corresponding "just found out" post in the new fangled section?

4 hours ago, Hellbent said:

Was using DB2 now I'm using DBX. I don't know how big the blockmap is; but the map itself is very large (about 30,000x30,000 units).The max floor/ceiling range is around 9,000.

A map that spans that wide will not work in Doom. You would need an updated source port that is limit removing. The biggest span you can have is about 23050*23050, height does not matter. You would also need to use oversizing to fit anything into that blockmap, or use the block span pointer area for list data. Not pretty.

• Michael Abrash is listed below John Carmack and above John Romero under "programming" in the credits for Ultimate Doom, but Wikipedia doesn't even mention him as having any involvement in Doom.
  • It is possible to kill a former human with one shot of the fist.

30 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

Michael Abrash is listed below John Carmack and above John Romero under "programming" in the credits for Ultimate Doom, but Wikipedia doesn't even mention him as having any involvement in Doom.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Michael_Abrash

the reason was an interesting read and now i must know more about this mystical man

It was only yesterday when I discovered that the increased melee power gained from berserk lasts until either the player's death or the end of a level.

14 hours ago, bonnie said:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Michael_Abrash

the reason was an interesting read and now i must know more about this mystical man

The fun part is that Abrash was a cornerstone of Valve's foray into VR as well, before moving to Oculus. Got to wonder how different things would have been up to that point, if it weren't for him and Carmack. From modern computer graphics to the current VR advances.

1 hour ago, snith said:

It was only yesterday when I discovered that the increased melee power gained from berserk lasts until either the player's death or the end of a level.

It's disturbing how many people thought the Berserk is temporary. Is this an example of bad visual information from id?

8 minutes ago, printz said:

Is this an example of bad visual information from id?

Definitely. It shares the common traits of temporary powerups in doom like Invisibility, radsuit, invulnerability etc; where the effect fades after a while.

The fading of the screen filter (while appreciated) definitely implies to the player that "this powerup has run out".

but just imagine running around with eyes full of blood! i HAET to pickup berserk exactly 'cause it makes things harder to see. and having that until i finish a map... no, thanks, i won't buy it! ;-)

The intense effect doesn't last that long, though, and the latter half before fading also doesn't last that long. Funnily enough, I don't utilize berserk nearly as much as I should. Most of the time I treat it as a full health recovery, like a weak soulsphere.

46 minutes ago, ketmar said:

but just imagine running around with eyes full of blood! i HAET to pickup berserk exactly 'cause it makes things harder to see. and having that until i finish a map... no, thanks, i won't buy it! ;-)

I feel the berserk would be better represented by a sprite change in the fist, be it pulsing veins or whatever. Obviously the red filter is nasty, so the idea of enforcing it for the rest of the map's gameplay isn't a smart choice.