Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The Doom 'Prompt' Community Project idea

You awake from a very ... close dream. You touch your face, the bed, as you grapple for a moment with what is real. Now, you've had pretty awesome dreams before, but this one was different. This felt less like a dream and more like an awakening to a forgotten memory. You sit up, board-straight , wide awake; alert, the memory of your dream crystal clear before you. Suddenly you know what you must do. You grab a few essential things, shove them into your trusty rucksack, and head out the door.... You make your way outside of town into the wild country. Before you a winding road leads through plains and marshlands to a lofty mountain in the far distance. You've heard of strange and terrible tales about adventurers who ventured into said mountain, never to return....

So the idea behind this project is that anyone who feels so inclined can post a prompt for others (or themselves) to use as a seed of inspiration for making a doom map. You can post nuggets of inspiration in this thread even if you have no intention of contributing a map; in fact, you are encouraged to. The seed can be anything; an image, a fanfic, a dream, a song, an anecdote, a half baked concept that you've indefinitely shelved or given up on, a story board, a retelling of a D&D adventure, a tv episode, a movie trailer, a music video, an architectural blueprint or floor plan; whatever it is you feel inspires your doomy creative expression. Now in this community project, a unified theme is not the goal. Here is your chance to try new things, to be uninhibited, to push your creativity beyond its supposed known limits; beyond known boundaries, to build outside the box, to challenge all conventions and traditions and throw them to the wind. 

There are no real rules for this project. My idea is for it to unfold organically. The only rule I might say for it is that it will be a limit removing project (well, duh!)

Half the fun of this project will be sifting through all the disparate submissions and arranging them into some sort of half-baked progression that tells some kind of story. 

172.16.6-5.png

Building-Floor-Plans-Flat-Plan-Sample.pn

Edited by Hellbent

So, we just post a picture or anything else that will give inspiration to other mappers to make maps, i get this right?

And... if someone wants to make a map, it uses what other people put as inspirational source, right?

And what if somebody wants to do both? I mean, putting pictures and making maps from other people?

necrophobic-darkside.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR640z0HkSRtCshQOrXLU

Actually, i have cropped the darkside album art for a possible titlepic... I think this will be goes good for some hell maps inspiration..

It's funny that you post this because a screenshot I saw yesterday (or even today?) made me wonder if it'd be possible to build a perpetual stair in doom, like the M.C. Escher one. :)

mc_escher_063.jpg

Some kind of underground labyrinth entrance.

This building at the Mayan site of Tonina is known as the Passage to the Underworld or the Temple of the Underworld. The archways in this picture lead to an extensive network of hallways which define the word `labyrinth'. As with many structures at Mayan sites, the original purpose of this building is not known.

https://www.ancient.eu/Labyrinth/

762.jpg?v=1485682816

On 2/22/2019 at 7:35 AM, Hellbent said:

172.16.6-5.png

If this was a Pcorf map. They'd be going crazy over the symmetry!

@pcorf

To be fair, in that infamous map you had also copy pasted the monster placements! :D

On 2/21/2019 at 11:39 PM, Walter confetti said:

So, we just post a picture or anything else that will give inspiration to other mappers to make maps, i get this right?

And... if someone wants to make a map, it uses what other people put as inspirational source, right?

Wasn't there a similiar thread to this?

On 3/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, Walter confetti said:

I  don't remember it...

Either i but i found this after some search