Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

Is it wrong to play Doom 3 without a mouse?

Guessing it's because Doom 3 does not have autoaim? you need a mouse (or joystick in the case of consoles) if you want to be able to aim at flying enemies like Cacodemons and Lost Souls, or to simply aim at enemies in a different level (eg: Arch-viles and Chaingunners in second floor in delta labs). or bind keys for aiming up and down. though I Imagine this can make the game awkward to control.

Doom 3 has keys for looking around, just map looking left and right to the left and right arrows, looking up and down to either A and Z or Pgup and Pgdown. Mapping strafing left and right to the S and D keys might be useful too for dodging those nasty projectiles.

Or just get a mouse or some cheap controller like the Logitech F310 or Dual Action. (Don't get fooled by their price, they are extremely good controllers)

Would suggest using a Xbox controller. but any would do; Doom 3 dosen't have autoaim like it's predecessors. (which is a shame really, I think Doom 3 would be awesome with autoaim.) The answer from me is "Sure" a mouse would be ideal for Doom 3.

Well, TBH, if you're playing Doom 3 on Recruit then it will be so easy you will be able to beat it without a mouse. Well, maybe with the exception of bosses.

On lundi 11 février 2019 at 6:13 PM, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Why can't I run away from attacks like I do in Doom and Heretic? I play Doom 3 like I play Doom and Heretic and it doesn't work. 

I'm gonna let you in on a big secret: Doom 3 does not use the same game engine as Doom and Heretic. Movement, collision detection, and aiming are all handled very differently! This might be relevant to your issues. Think about it.

If you move left and right (no turning) you can dodge imp fireballs even on Doom 3 (they are NOT Homing unlike revenant missiles).

But still you need to move the camera in order to aim, so yeah either mount keyboard in order to look around and try to be good at it or use a controller (not perfect but possibly better than just keyboard).

7 hours ago, Gez said:

I'm gonna let you in on a big secret: Doom 3 does not use the same game engine as Doom and Heretic. Movement, collision detection, and aiming are all handled very differently! This might be relevant to your issues. Think about it.

As for that, yes it's VERY different in technical level but still if you JUST MOVE LEFT OR RIGHT you can still dodge various attacks (don't have hopes for weapon attacks though)

Playing Doom 3 with the keyboard is interesting. When looking straight head, your guns aim at imps and humanoids' upper torsos and heads, dealing significant damage. But it can turn into a nightmare if you have to deal with sneaky monsters like lost souls and maggots.

Like other people said, i'm assuming it's because there is no auto-aim. Also it's a completely different engine than the "Doom" engine (aka id Tech 1) as @Gez has stated since Doom 3 uses the id Tech 4 engine i believe. I'm sure the game was built around mouse/keyboard play in mind as by 2003-2004 most players had more than likely moved on to using a mouse by then. From reading various topics on here and also from around the web, when Quake 1 had came out supposedly a lot of people had switched to mouse/keyboard play due to that game being so fast paced (multi-player mainly; also that's when mouse-acceleration became popular). 

John Romero and most of the id Software guys definitely used mouse/keys setup by 1996 (at least according to a few things i've read) although i'm pretty sure that Romero always used a mouse for Doom, just not in the same way that we use it today. Doom has native mouse-look just not "free-look". The mouse moves you forward/backwards as well as looking left/right. I hope i got that part right.

A controller could be another option as well. As @-TDRR- said above i've heard from numerous people that the Logitech F310 is a great controller (never owned one myself though). You could also get an Xbox 360 controller or an Xbox One controller. The d-pad is a lot better on the Xone controller btw. For Playstation styled controllers, the F310 would be the way to go if you don't own a PS3 or PS4.

Yeah...Looking back on this topic i realized that i put waayyyy too much serious thought into what i wrote when i first responded to it.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Rimantas said:

This guy is funny. Why 3D game does not work as 2.5D ones? Brilliant question.

To be fair there are 3D games that don't require a mouse.

27 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

To be fair there are 3D games that don't require a mouse.

My bad i didn't say "FPS games".