Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Building Stairs

In one of my levels, I'm trying to implement the stair building tag. However, in the game, it never works the right way. I've got four -192, -64 sectors in a row, and the last one is touching a -160, -64 sector. I tagged the four lower sectors the same, and made a switch somewhere else with S1: Stairs (8). What happens when I hit the switch is, the first stair goes up 8 and the second goes up 16 like its supposed to, but the third one doesn't go up at all, the fourth one only goes up 16, and the sector at the top which I didn't even tag goes down 8. I'm positive the four stair sectors are tagged the same, and the one at the top is not tagged at all. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'll e-mail you the level if you need to see it to understand better.

Aha, thanks. One more thing: what if I don't want the last sector (the one at the top that's already up) to go up?

Archvile46 said:

Aha, thanks. One more thing: what if I don't want the last sector (the one at the top that's already up) to go up?

Ahhhh now there is something that had me confused for about 5 years!

I don't use the old doom method any more, but I think it is something to do with the last sector having the same properties as the ones on the stair. I'm pretty sure changing the floor texture of the one you don't want to rise to something other than the floor that is on the stairs will do it. Maybe changing other options (like light level) will do it too, but I'm not really sure. If your last sector already has different properties to that of the stairs, then uh... I don't know.

Ultimate DooMer said:

You'll probably have to disconnect the top step from the next sector, leaving a 2 unit gap or something.

That works too, and a few building stairs in the doom2 levels are set up a bit like that, but you can certainly get it to work with the sectors actually attached as well. I'm pretty sure the floor "texture" difference thing does it.

Enjay said:

Ahhhh now there is something that had me confused for about 5 years!

I don't use the old doom method any more, but I think it is something to do with the last sector having the same properties as the ones on the stair. I'm pretty sure changing the floor texture of the one you don't want to rise to something other than the floor that is on the stairs will do it. Maybe changing other options (like light level) will do it too, but I'm not really sure. If your last sector already has different properties to that of the stairs, then uh... I don't know.

By properties, you just mean floor/ceiling texture and lighting? Cause the floor height is different, if that means anything...

If I recall correctly, if the top area is the height it already WOULD be if the stairs were built, it won't change.

Let me give an example...

You have three steps that will be raising by 8. The floor is 0 and your top area is 32. When the steps raise, the first will be 8, 16, 24, and the one you didn't want to move would have changed to 32, but since it's already there, it won't change. That way you can avoid weird things happening. I don't use the stairs much. There's one on Grind2 where the floor goes from 0 to 32 with the use of a single step that raises by 16.

If I'm wrong, feel free to ignore me. =)