Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kepehn

Eternal Darkness (UPDATE V3) - Final Version on \idgames

1554270191_EDWALLPAPER.jpg.1d9152faa49f82a5e26b71d9e06bba8f.jpg

VAM1A1.png.5391ff3bbaa39b4d2156cc4cb960140e.pngHi! Doomers!

Wellcome to the ETERNAL DARKNESS! A 15 Level-set DOOM II Project for GZDoom (only). One half of Maps are in ZDoom format and the other half in Hexen format (No HUB sustem). It also plays with ZDoom, but there are some "Hall of mirrors" bug effect, so I highly recommend you to use GZDoom! Jumping and crouching are required in some of the maps, to know wich map is allowed to do that, it's recommended you set default to "allow jump" & "allow crouch" in the gameplay options menu.

Free mouselook is recommended, although is required just in two maps. Multiplayer and Difficulty settings are NOT implemented.

All Maps except 2 maps are from scratch and designed to play with pistol start. It uses the "Eternal Doom" textures by teamTNT and some new monsters.

Eternal Darkness is a 14 story-driven Mapset (+ one secret Map), but also action-packed with a dose of level design. It was made back in 2012 and was reworked this February of 2019, with bug fixes, improving areas and some playtesting from my brother.

The Story is about a Marine who recieves a secret mission to search for a Myth, but ends up imprisioned in a Dead Realm ruled by a powerfull entity known as "Darkness".

Since there are so many texts in the Hexen-format levels and in all intermissions texts, there's no reason to extend this subject here, but there is a text file inside the .ZIP that tells the detaileded story and some info not revealed in the game. Only 12 maps are playable, the other 3 are a prologue, an intermission map and an epilogue where there's nothing to kill or things to trigger.

I was heavely inspired by "Eternal Doom IV: Return from Oblivion".

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_011444.png.964848da88bdc681cb74e5dacdca294b.png

The Path to the Myth!

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_002752.png.38e5d55d8832d780201069d464147c35.png

The Castle of Eternity!

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_002858.png.c6446aa50e195772b22531a973595f12.png

The Firestone Street

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_010847.png.de2e9d7be9186e3dc8a7d2992f9d2ac5.png

The Bridge Courtyard

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_011035.png.7d5ae84fde3dc4ef8a5bb653c3c0dfd8.png

An Old Tower

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_004654.png.7416a65fec837cf5888bc2e8995d92a0.png

The Central Arena

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_005522.png.40db713a4f66edaad6d7e40e6dfcd32b.png

A House on the Jupiter's Moon

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_005500.png.0b8be02a4be6d1e68c05f9b14f11b95a.png

A Watery Sanctuary

Two Levels are based on my House, me and my brother appear there, but we're not part of the plot. I'ts not a secret or easter egg, those are normal action-packed maps:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_163425.png.9ea580ab5a1de8caea56425627cc97e8.png

The Appartment where I Live!

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_162423.png.ad8a16090a1512efeaf71f3d81aa56d6.png

My House!

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_162503.png.5445801367bb6ad11da02cf86f0651c3.png

Me! In my Bedroom with the computer where this project was made! (Please don't kill me! :P)

Screenshot_Doom_20190222_162711.png.25f534a05224ab8449a3b18f0f6f4f36.png

My Brother! He helped me with playtesting. Maybe he would help you too in the game!

This year I have uploaded the project 2 times to \idgames, but it got rejected cause it contained unmodified id Software resources, I removed them with SLADE and I'm about to try for the 3rd Time! But in the meantime I decided post it here first, Why? To grab more attention, to know if it is well received and in case I'm unabe to upload it to \idgames.

For more information or any question about the project feel free to ask me and don't forget to read the .txt file as it contains some hints.

=================================================================

VAM1A1.png.5391ff3bbaa39b4d2156cc4cb960140e.png3nd UPDATED! (23/03/2019)

Eternal Darkness has been updated to v3. Now you can skip the Intermission maps by doing what the first scripted text says!

Full compatibility with the Latest GZDoom!

And some fixes on Maps 2 and 10!

FINAL VERSION:

DOWNLOAD at \idgames: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/edkness

=================================================================

I decided as a bonus, to upload a set of 3 old maps I made in 2011, I was more inexperienced, so it's not a big thing! It's not a WIP, just forgetten maps!

DQ2011 (No title name, no map names!)

- 3 Maps for Doom 2

- Created in ZDoom format

- Tested on ZDoom & GZDoom

- Jump, crouch and freelook absolutely nessessary

- Nothing new (textures, sounds, sprites, music, etc...) just maps!

Some Pics:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190304_143723.png.ca868439e772bf7d6ef819ce5e7715a7.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190304_150232.png.8c236eac565238426ebcd6c9ef86df3c.png

Not that I believe you want, but you are free to take, modify or use it as a base for modification or reuse!

VAM1A1.pngGood Hunting, Doomers!

Edited by Kepehn : Temporarily link until idgames acceptance

Screenshots look nice, props for using Eternal Doom textures. Will definitely play this when I have some time.

40 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

How do you go about opening this WAD up with level editing software because GZDoom Builder does not open .pk3 files?

You have to open the .pk3 file with winrar and extract the files inside the .pk3 file. Then you you'll have the maps in the "maps" folder and the resources in the root.

gzdoom 3.7.2 crashes on level load.  There are numerous patch errors on game load.  Tried it out with gzdoom 3.4.1.  Skipped the first map.  Map02 spews a bunch of texture errors.  No matter, let's play.  I get out of the vehicle and I have no idea what to do.  The only clue is the fake wall texture which I assume is a door but I can't open it.

1 minute ago, Bryan T said:

gzdoom 3.7.2 crashes on level load.  There are numerous patch errors on game load.  Tried it out with gzdoom 3.4.1.

I quicky tested on gzdoom 3.7.2 after your reply and it really crashes, I don't know why. I played and tested all the time with gzdoom g1.9.1, but I hope it will work with gzdoom 3.4.1 (also I tested this one as well after your reply and it seems to work). About the patch errors on game load, I think that's not a problem unless it bugs or crashes the game.

22 minutes ago, Bryan T said:

Map02 spews a bunch of texture errors.

Besides the gzdoom g1.9.1, I didnt saw any texture errors both in gzdoom 3.7.2 and 3.4.1. If you point me those textures with screenshots I might be able to analyze it better.

31 minutes ago, Bryan T said:

I get out of the vehicle and I have no idea what to do.  The only clue is the fake wall texture which I assume is a door but I can't open it. 

Yeah, I was really undecided whether I'd put some hints on that or not. If you go down the road you'll see a pickaxe drawn in a sector, press use to grab it and go back to the fake wall and it will open then.

I think maybe the majority prefer Fast Doom action-packed than story-driven. If that's true, would you like me to create an alternative version of this Mapset where all maps are fast and just gun-play with new maps to replace the scripted maps and intermission maps? Or do you think the project is good as it is now?

Now that it's on \idgames, I want to thank you for all your the feedback.

The Project probably will not have further updates unless absolutely nessessary wich I don't think will be.

Do not expect updates on DQ2011.wad, it's just a bonus, I'm not working on it!

On 3/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, Kepehn said:

The Project probably will not have further updates unless absolutely nessessary wich I don't think will be.

Indeed! ETERNAL DARKNESS was Updated to v2.

It's a little, but important update: you can now skip the intermission maps without cheating. A scripted text will appear saying what to do to skip the map.

Now I really assure you that will be no further updates, unless someone reports some bugs or anything wrong, wich I doubt it since no one reported anything before it got to \idgames.

This next info obviously appears in each map when playing:

Map 1: Prologue (Shoot the truck's back door to skip)

Map 7: Intermission (Open the bus door and shoot outside to skip)

Map 14: Epilogue (Press use to skip)

On 2/24/2019 at 2:41 AM, Kepehn said:

would you like me to create an alternative version of this Mapset where all maps are fast and just gun-play with new maps to replace the scripted maps and intermission maps?

Not an alternate version & no new maps, just an update: Don't give a damn about the story? Just skip it and get right back into action!

I feel I had to do this update, cause it's important that a cutscene or a map whrere you have no interaction must have the option to skip it! I found myself boring to have to wait minutes on these maps when in playtesting!

Updated Link already in the description!

So that's it! :)

Even at the newer version, this still crashes on the latest version of GZDoom.

Please look into this.

39 minutes ago, Terminus said:

Even at the newer version, this still crashes on the latest version of GZDoom.

Please look into this.

Before the update I tried it with the latest Gzdoom (cause @Bryan T was having the same issue) and it crashed on map loading. But now quickly after your reply, I tested it again and it's not crashing. Does it take some time to crash, or it crash instantly?

Can you tell me in which situation it crashes? On startup, loading map, or in the middle of gameplay? If it appears some info error?

Upon loading the first map. Most times it freezes and then boots me out if I press any key, and there was one time I was booted out instantly with a Fatal Error screen.

Title screen loads fine.

4 hours ago, Terminus said:

Upon loading the first map. Most times it freezes and then boots me out if I press any key, and there was one time I was booted out instantly with a Fatal Error screen.

Title screen loads fine.

Ok! I messed up everything! Thanks for the feedback, without it I would never had realized the problem!

What I Uploaded to idgames as an update was the wrong file and it really crashes in the latest gzdoom! The one that I saw that does not crashes is the one that was supposed to be on \idgames now!

I will reupload the right file to \idgames again (the one that I tested and it does NOT crashes).

P.S. I'm so pissed off with myself! The file on \idgames doesn't even have the updates that it says it has!

8 hours ago, Kepehn said:

This is the right file that will be on \idgames soon:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h01k88ka9w61grb/EDkness_2.pk3/file

Please, can someone test it on the latest gzdoom to see if it crashes (wich I don't think it will)?

It loads properly now. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to play the rest of the maps, but I'll do so tomorrow.

Thanks for the fix!

What am I supposed to do when the truck crashes? I get out of it, but I can't find the red key anywhere, even if I spawn it and get the blue key I still don't know what am I supposed to do

59 minutes ago, DoodGuy said:

What am I supposed to do when the truck crashes? I get out of it, but I can't find the red key anywhere, even if I spawn it and get the blue key I still don't know what am I supposed to do

I already explained that question to @Bryan T. But here we go again :)

If you go to the end of the road you'll see a pickaxe on the floor, press use to "grab it", then open the dark wall near the truck.

Ok! It's the Final version! (v3). \idgames Download in the description!

Do not keep or download the mediafire edition 'cause it's outdated. Although the only different is a fix on map 10.

P.S. If you're having trouble on finding the Secret level on map 4, read the bottom line in the "EDKness Hidden Story.txt" inside the .zip file!

Good Hunting :)

Just when I though my Project was forgotten... ha! Guess I was wrong ;)

I mean: There's no way for me to see the people's reaction outside this thread cause it's impossibe to review and rate new wads at \idgames anymore, witch is sad.

Glad you liked, @DenisNinja.