Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

randomized graphics?

With the rise of machine learning, does it mean it's possible to program a monster to look slightly different than other monsters of the same type? Like, each hell knight would get a randomized feature, like a horn that a slightly longer than normal, or a bulbous wart on its shoulder; or an imp would be missing a spike, or one of its spikes would be longer than the others, or all its spikes would be slightly smaller, or the imp itself would be slightly shorter, or slightly taller. Or the former human seargent would have more blood stains, or less blood stains. Has anyone attempted to create this sort of organic, randomized approach to drawing the same monster, to give the game a more realistic and less-stale feel, especially when encountering slaughter maps with 4800 hell knights? 

Should be possible in my opinion, especially if you feed the AI enough source material to learn from. Hell, might be even possible without AI, if you have a decent amount of source imps and a program that knows where to cut the arms, heads, etc. and mash them up at random (+ random color changes).

Yet, that AI thing is, what interests me the most. I am still dreaming of a Smooth Doom with 16 rotations per Sprite or feeding the AI two or three sprites from an arcade game and having the AI spit out 8 or 16 rotations, inc. attacks, etc. Manual cleanup would be no problem, it is exactly that base work, which is so time consuming.

Of course! If we can neural upscale graphics, why can't we neural upscale sprite frames? Ahhh.. can't wait till someone does this! 

Technically, this can already happen. Its semi-present in randomizer mods.

All you have to do is make imps (For example) have slightly different imp textures. And copy the script of an imp with the different textures. I forgot how to run the randomizer scripts, but you have to compile all of the actors into some script. And then, you have a random chance of getting the variation of the enemy that has the same scripts but slightly different looks. Hopefully that makes sense.

I dont know if that helps, I dont know if that answers the whole idea of machine earning & AI. And I admit this is probably inefficient and theres probably a better way to do this. But hopefully this helps.