Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

More of Slateport City. There's only a couple of building exteriors left, and the lighthouse, and not a lot more to do in Slateport after that. I'm thinking the player starts down here, maybe on the beach? maybe in front of the pokécenter? and works their way north.

3TnpFxJ.jpg

I'm especially pleased with how the contest hall and some of the marketplace voxels turned out

O4posGb.png

uMFhe8R.png

fqqqNWN.png

That looks really stellar and uniqe. What exactly is it? Did you already write more information about it somewhere?

Yessssssssssssss!

God damn this is shaping up niiicely. Genuinely feels a shame that you're only doing a small segment, but recreating all of hoenn is a HUGE ask, haha. :P

@meapineapple Is this a DM map or a normal map? Because it looks nice!

EDIT: Didnt see the pics for dragonfly. But still what is it?

13 hours ago, Rhebiz said:

@meapineapple Is this a DM map or a normal map? Because it looks nice!

EDIT: Didnt see the pics for dragonfly. But still what is it?

It's a 3D recreation of Route 110 and Slateport City (and soon also Mauville City and some other smaller surrounding areas) from the exceptional games Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald for the GBA. I'm planning on making it a normal single-player map but I'm sure it will have DM and co-op starts, too. Possibly it will be one in a series, @Dragonfly, depending on my free time and motivation. Unfortunately recreating all of Hoenn would be impractical for more reasons than just effort - it's seriously a challenge to make buildings with both an interior and an exterior. I already have to play with the scale to make the buildings not feel pitifully tiny in a first-person perspective, and for the two buildings that currently can be entered I had to mess around with both the interior and exterior layout a lot to make it work.

Not to mention the gotchas and tedium of making real 3D spaces (like buildings with interiors, or gosh forbid multiple floors) in any Doom port.

You know what would be really nice and helpful, though? I really wish GZDoom line portals were less janky and that I could actually use them for building interiors.

Whyyyyy

Seriously it would be so nice to have some way of making interior volumes that doesn't involve an obnoxious number of 3D floor control sectors

1 minute ago, meapineapple said:

You know what would be really nice and helpful, though? I really wish GZDoom line portals were less janky and that I could actually use them for building interiors.

Whyyyyy

This sounds like a call for @Bauul, master of line portal implementation!

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

This sounds like a call for @Bauul, master of line portal implementation!

I was summoned!  :D  @meapineapple It looks like you've got your portal opening directly onto a two-sided linedef.  Portal lines shouldn't have any geometry overlapping them, as then you get Z-fighting (the flickering you see in the gif).

Line portals are infinitely high, but you can manipulate the height of the portal using the old vanilla trick of lowering a sector with the Sky as a ceiling, which turns it invisible but still solid.  You end up needing a small "porch" to house the portal in, but the overall effect works fine.

This is what it looks like in action: no 3D floors used at all.

Screenshot_Doom_20181201_001201.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181201_001523.png

14 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I was summoned!  :D  @meapineapple It looks like you've got your portal opening directly onto a two-sided linedef.  Portal lines shouldn't have any geometry overlapping them, as then you get Z-fighting (the flickering you see in the gif).

Line portals are infinitely high, but you can manipulate the height of the portal using the old vanilla trick of lowering a sector with the Sky as a ceiling, which turns it invisible but still solid.  You end up needing a small "porch" to house the portal in, but the overall effect works fine.

This is what it looks like in action: no 3D floors used at all.

Screenshot_Doom_20181201_001201.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181201_001523.png

Is it possible for the opening to be a functioning door, or do portals cause issues with that? Or is it that portals actually make it easier, since adding a door with stacked sectors tends to be problematic, unless there's an editing trick I'm not aware of.

1 minute ago, GoatLord said:

Is it possible for the opening to be a functioning door, or do portals cause issues with that? Or is it that portals actually make it easier, since adding a door with stacked sectors tends to be problematic, unless there's an editing trick I'm not aware of.

Yep, as long as you keep the door at least a single map unit away from the portal, so it doesn't cause conflicts.  The "porch" of the house is effectively a tunnel (you just can't see the ceiling part because it's see-through) so if you slot a door at the front of the tunnel it'll act exactly as you'd expect a door to act. 

However, the door won't actually turn the portal off, it'll simply cover it up.  If you want to completely deactivate the portal when the door is closed, you could run Line_SetPortalTarget the moment the door closes to set the portal target to 0, which basically "turns off" the portal.  This would help with FPS too, as the portals would only be active when the door is open.

35 minutes ago, Bauul said:

So what you're telling me is it's so jank I shouldn't even be trying to use them at all if I want my buildings to have both an interior and an actual roof

Why the heck can't portals just be as tall as the shorter sector (when anchored by floors)?

On 2/25/2019 at 8:47 AM, meapineapple said:

So what you're telling me is it's so jank I shouldn't even be trying to use them at all if I want my buildings to have both an interior and an actual roof

Why the heck can't portals just be as tall as the shorter sector (when anchored by floors)?

You're trying to implement a non-euclidean enabling reverse-mirror rendering instant teleport effect into a game engine that was designed to run on an IBM 486.  What were you expecting?  Part of Doom mapping, especially GZDoom mapping, is about trying to work around the limitations of the engine.  You're going to have to roll with the challenges, that's just the nature of it (and, for me anyway, what makes it so satisfying).

But to confirm: Portals are two seperate two-sided linedefs that you instantly teleport between.  Each individual linedef obeys the rules of all two-sided lindef: they extend from the floor to the ceiling.  There's no way of arbitrarily horizontally splitting a linedef halfway up, for any reason, not just a portal.  I'm not saying some enterprising GZDoom developer couldn't implement it at some point in the future, but right now, it's just not in the capability set.

Edited by Bauul

@Bauul I was mainly hoping to use the static portals that are only supposed to work if they represent a Euclidean extension of the space. It would have worked beautifully, too, if only the height of the portal had been limited to that of the shorter sector. (i.e. the doorway sector of the interior area.) Granted I've never touched and barely perused GZDoom's code but. Is it really that complicated to just take the sectors and knit the geometry together when using that static kind that's supposed to guarantee that this is possible?

I actually might finish my first standalone wad (as in, it's not part of CP) - Boom compatible map with some custom stuff added in it. I think it shapes up somewhat decently (I still need to fix/add things), hopefully it will be done with at some point in the future.

hyWdhLJ.png

mC9rMAn.png

nNT6Kfx.png

bD9UNOZ.png

eUU1vd1.png

Edited by BioRenegat : Clarification

Who's that Pokémon??

73LHijn.png

It's.... Slateport City!

WvXHNyV.jpg

Now including...

The oceanic museum:

CG96wNf.png

The Pokémon fan club:

XVJqIpu.png

And the Slateport Harbor interior (holy crap cakes how is the S.S. Whatnot support to fit in here. This interior is SO MUCH bigger than its exterior in the games, maybe more than any other building)

CdmHZeU.png

16 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Fires multi rockets?

It's single fire mode but you can shot 6 times before you have to reload. My mod/game is going for modern mechanics so guns have to be reloaded.

EDIT: Oh yea I should probably mention that the mod is now going to be it's own standalone game and won't even require Doom 2 to play. It will merely use the Gzdoom engine. An ambitious goal for sure, but I would not have been able to even learn all the required skills to make all this stuff if I did not have ambition in the first place :P

8 hours ago, meapineapple said:

@Bauul I was mainly hoping to use the static portals that are only supposed to work if they represent a Euclidean extension of the space. It would have worked beautifully, too, if only the height of the portal had been limited to that of the shorter sector. (i.e. the doorway sector of the interior area.) Granted I've never touched and barely perused GZDoom's code but. Is it really that complicated to just take the sectors and knit the geometry together when using that static kind that's supposed to guarantee that this is possible?

Allow me to explain what Bauul said a little differently. In order to do this, I'm going to set down some basic ground rules.

1) Linedefs in Doom do not have an intrinsic height. That is, they are infinitely tall.

2) As a result of the above, the upper sidedef is treated as extending upward infinitely, the lower sidedef as extending downward infinitely, and the middle sidedef as infinitely high in both directions until it touches the ceiling, floor, or upper or lower sidedefs.

3) Upper and lower sidedefs cannot be walked through, only the middle sidedef.

4) 3D floors in Doom are not treated as surfaces against which linedefs are anchored, and so linedefs extend through them, as these are created during initialization.

Literally, 3D floors do not exist in the game until runtime, when ZDoom applies the proper linedef actions.

Now, for the reasons given above, any linedef portal you create will fill the same space the empty middle sidedef will.

This means that your portal will extend through any 3D floors because they are not surfaces like the defined floors and ceilings that make up the world proper.

To make your portal function the way you want, you can't apply it to the upper or lower sidedefs because portals can't be applied to them, and you can't walk through them anyway. You have to lower a column of the sky which surrounds the portal line, so it doesn't extend upward to where the sky is supposed to be.

Because of the way Doom renders skies, this column won't render, but it is still there, and so it blocks the middle sidedef from rendering higher than the sky column's ceiling height.

Also, to be pedantic, the space you're working with when using portals is in fact non-euclidean because the two spaces don't actually connect in the space, but they look like they do.

9 hours ago, Rhebiz said:

@hardcore_gamer So is your mod, or game rather, going to be as trans-formative as something like Total Chaos? If so I'm intrigued. 

It's going to be a lovecraftian horror shooter with a much slower pace than the original Doom, a mix of Dead Space and Doom 3 if you will. Doom space? :D

As for total chaos, the gameplay in this game won't be as complex. There won't be any rpg elements, inventory management or anything like that. Just slow paced and yet action packed horror shooting. Everything will be 3D and will use the new PBR shading, except for some of the explosions and such effects which will use sprites.