Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nootrac4571

Why do people like black gloves so much?

Ok, so this might be a thing which has been discussed to death in the past, and if so I'm sorry.

But I've been looking though a bunch of threads about weapon graphic mods, and I'm really baffled as to why one of the most common requests seems to be for Doomguy to be wearing black gloves.

Why is this important? Why do people care about the colour of his gloves so much? It seems like a really arbitrary and bizarre request to me.

But maybe I've missed some important context. Can anyone enlighten me?

Maybe there are some custom sprites sheets already made with many standard and useful hand poses for weapons and stuff, and the author used own sprites with black fingerless gloves (if we are talking about the same ones) for whatever reason he has. The most simple reason is because he likes it that way and found it to be an interesting alternative version of the classic brownish gloves and gives it a more realistic impression of a militar glove (and that may be the reason why it was used afterwards in mods like Brutal Doom, if my memory serves me right).

I honestly prefer the old classical brownish gloves. Although I've always find weird that he reloads the shotgun with gloves but for punching he takes his glove out (apart from showing that he has a brass knuckles on) so maybe it's for that reason that they implement those black gloves.

black gloves are cool as hell. dont know what else to say. theyre great

EDIT: My friend told me to say zooweemama in this post. So I am

I never had a big preference of gloves but my favorite colors personally are red and black. Wasn't Kane the coolest back in the day with his black gloves?
kane-debut.jpg

Black gloves give contrast to the image.  The tan colored gloves he wears in the vanilla sprites blend into the skin of his forearm, I didn't even realize he was wearing gloves for years.  Idk about most people, but I like it in any art form when two separate objects touch one another, for them to be contrasting colors.  It's just more visually engaging.

I was primed and ready to discuss latex gloves when I saw the title of this thread in the sidebar, but evidently it's about Doom... I am disappoint :P

But to contribute something, I really liked the black gloves in Disturbia for example. Maybe for me it's simply the fact that the gloves are easier to distinguish from DGuy's skin tone and therefore "pop" more.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Maybe for me it's simply the fact that the gloves are easier to distinguish from DGuy's skin tone and therefore "pop" more.

So it's not just me :)

34 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I never had a big preference of gloves but my favorite colors personally are red and black. Wasn't Kane the coolest back in the day with his black gloves?
kane-debut.jpg

I mean, yeah, that was the coolest Kane - especially compared to whatever they were thinking when they decided "Corporate Kane" was worth pushing, but really - his gloves are quite a long way away from the most interesting thing about that costume.

6 minutes ago, guitardz said:

So it's not just me :)

Not only is it not just you, there's also the "minor" thing that is classic Doom's titlescreen:

Doom-1-.gif

Looks pretty black to me...

...And then we have Doom2's box art, which I can't be arsed to look for atm, which has dark brown gloves.

With that said, all we need to do now is bother Romero long enough to get a "definitive" answer...

For some reason I only like to use addons with black gloves for wintery levels like Circle of Caina and Eviternity episode 3. If I'm recalling my science correctly, black clothes are supposed to be warmer, but I feel like there's something more to it than that on a subconscious level or something.

26 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Not only is it not just you, there's also the "minor" thing that is classic Doom's titlescreen:

Doom-1-.gif

Looks pretty black to me...

Ok, that's a good explanation, but still: It seems weird that so many Doom fans might fixate on that one bit of continuity with that image - especially since roughly 98% percent of everyone whose ever seen it apparently never noticed that Doomguy's saucy midriff-revealing armour isn't actually a sartorial choice, but a result of having part of it torn off by a demon:

605349309_doomguyabwindow.jpg.4d9fa09182e125f522d47edd89660d6a.jpg

Removing that piece of armor was the secret to unlock the necessary range of movement for strafe running. The powerful abs strike fear into the hearts of enemies as well.

Also black gloves make me feel tactical and cool when playing.

10 minutes ago, ChicagoTrash said:

Some people have black leather fetishes.

I know I do

i agree with guitardz. the contrast just adds a very satisfying element to blasting demons away.

one thing i would like to see though is some different options like (as you said, newtrak) black and red, or ,maybe even some quake style

black and yellow gloves.

imagine playing a star wars mod with black and white gloves. it would be soo cool. 

not adding anything anymore. just thinking out loud.

6 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Doomguy's saucy midriff-revealing armour isn't actually a sartorial choice

Speaking of sartorial choices, ask any menswear forum their opinion on black gloves and they will be extremely critical. Black gloves apparently have associations with assassins and criminals. If you want conservative dark gloves, choose dark brown. Would Doomguy really make such a gauche choice when it comes to hand wear?

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

...And then we have Doom2's box art, which I can't be arsed to look for atm, which has dark brown gloves.

Spoiler

doom-2-wallpaper_685615.jpg.e16cb7ec110850a1d409e54bf0f50ae1.jpg

You mean this? I actually can't tell if they are dark brown or black due to the orange hue but i'll take your word for it. Oddly enough, this is actually my current wallpaper so i didn't even have to search for it ;)

3 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Reveal hidden contents

You mean this? I actually can't tell if they are dark brown or black due to the orange hue but i'll take your word for it.

I'd say they are because of how it contrasts with the shotgun itself.

Pretty sure black is a very common "colour" for action gloves, that's why people request them of this kind.

Yeah, why not white gloves? Or better yet, pink.

I legit want to see a mod with Doomguy wearing pink gloves.

The "rational" explanation: because Doomguy is wearing black gloves on the title screen / box art and the gloves in the original sprites look too similar to skin colour.

The real reason: same reason that people like Brutal Doom: because it makes people feel like a badass

Can we talk about Doomguy's crazy buzz-cut on the Doom ][ box instead?

18 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Hide contents

You mean this? I actually can't tell if they are dark brown or black due to the orange hue but i'll take your word for it. Oddly enough, this is actually my current wallpaper so i didn't even have to search for it ;)

hello mr. Cyberdemon. cold out, huh?