Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_SloVinator

Four maps of my unnamed E1 WAD - Need feedback to continue mapping

looks awesome, excited to try it. i dont even have to play it though to tell you that you should continue mapping if you enjoy it. regardless of the skills you already clearly have, if you like doing it, that's the only requirement i think

edit: just echoing again after looking at the screenshots again on a not-overly-dark phone screen this time, the environments look super cool, love the atmosphere :D

Edited by Tango

FDA continuous completely blind (except half of e1m1): mye1_fdabygal.zip

Random thoughts:

- First of all, bonus points for a night sky, if you're planning to make Inferno-ish maps I think the sky would blend perfectly but if not then it's all good. The detailing is on point, it somehow reminded me to Wraith's "Alpha Accident", only the texturing is more varied. 

- E1M1: standard pistol action which I'm not usually sold on, personally speaking. I was intrigued about the secrets since the map is so short and loaded it back on iddqd, it didn't occur me to do what you have to do to get the armor and the rest, nice way to hide them. With the shotgun the map flows better imo.

- E1M2: something about the start didn't convince me, the pistol action isn't really my thing, it just feels killing minions slower than it should be imo. My two options would be: either move the green armor to the SG spot and the SG earlier, or a berserk at the start and leave the rest intact (could be in a secret). First option could be implemented for lower skills. 

There's a cheeky unexpected trap where you teleport in the middle of imps and sergeants in the back, which seems to be granted damage, a little too cheeky for my taste. 

- E1M3: hmm all great, I really liked the two big traps. Wish I found the rest of the secrets...

- E1M4: I must have missed a chaingun somewhere, there were so many bullets around. For the nukage section, I'd add another radsuit in the pit just in case someone wants to max in kills because the combat takes a while and there's not enough time to kill everything. Also, the midi doesn't fit, sounds way too wild/daylight/Heretic-ish/etc for a techbase under the night imo, if that makes sense.

Heh, hopefully this is somewhat helpful. In the case of lower skills I believe you can tone down the number of enemies in general and most specially in the important fights (replacing sergeants for zombiemen, less lost souls, things like that), more forgiving weapon placements like the example I said about e1m2. Anyways, looking forward the rest of your work, keep it up!

I was short on time but I played the first two levels. Will continue with 3 and 4. I gotta say I have been making my own map for the first time and playing yours shows how much more polish and detail I could add to mine. I really enjoyed a lot of the claustrophobic hallways and interconnected nature of the maps. The classic "Press Activate on a strange texture to open the secret area" was not present so finding secrets were tougher than expected (which was good!)

I agree with galileo31 that I didn't care for the random teleports into surrounded enemy situations. Both types, porting me into a group of enemies or porting enemies in front and behind was not fun. I had carefully managed my health and then BAM dead with no fault of my own. Thats how I like to see failure, knowing that I could have done something better to avoid it. Those situations take fault out of my hands and I am required to have foreknowledge of the guaranteed damage to prepare.

Other than that I really enjoyed it and will be bringing in a buddy to help me play through on a weekend coming up! Mad props on the skills!

PS I added a picture of a grate in map 2 where a seargent was behind (poison area). The line was passable so I could walk in and get his ammo - not sure if that was intended.

Screenshot_Doom_20190227_193255.png

16 hours ago, Tango said:

looks awesome, excited to try it. i dont even have to play it though to tell you that you should continue mapping if you enjoy it. regardless of the skills you already clearly have, if you like doing it, that's the only requirement i think

edit: just echoing again after looking at the screenshots again on a not-overly-dark phone screen this time, the environments look super cool, love the atmosphere :D

Thank you! :)

My apologizes for the double post. Just found out about the multi quoting thingy.

14 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

FDA continuous completely blind (except half of e1m1): mye1_fdabygal.zip

Random thoughts:

- First of all, bonus points for a night sky, if you're planning to make Inferno-ish maps I think the sky would blend perfectly but if not then it's all good. The detailing is on point, it somehow reminded me to Wraith's "Alpha Accident", only the texturing is more varied. 

- E1M1: standard pistol action which I'm not usually sold on, personally speaking. I was intrigued about the secrets since the map is so short and loaded it back on iddqd, it didn't occur me to do what you have to do to get the armor and the rest, nice way to hide them. With the shotgun the map flows better imo.

- E1M2: something about the start didn't convince me, the pistol action isn't really my thing, it just feels killing minions slower than it should be imo. My two options would be: either move the green armor to the SG spot and the SG earlier, or a berserk at the start and leave the rest intact (could be in a secret). First option could be implemented for lower skills. 

There's a cheeky unexpected trap where you teleport in the middle of imps and sergeants in the back, which seems to be granted damage, a little too cheeky for my taste. 

- E1M3: hmm all great, I really liked the two big traps. Wish I found the rest of the secrets...

- E1M4: I must have missed a chaingun somewhere, there were so many bullets around. For the nukage section, I'd add another radsuit in the pit just in case someone wants to max in kills because the combat takes a while and there's not enough time to kill everything. Also, the midi doesn't fit, sounds way too wild/daylight/Heretic-ish/etc for a techbase under the night imo, if that makes sense.

Heh, hopefully this is somewhat helpful. In the case of lower skills I believe you can tone down the number of enemies in general and most specially in the important fights (replacing sergeants for zombiemen, less lost souls, things like that), more forgiving weapon placements like the example I said about e1m2. Anyways, looking forward the rest of your work, keep it up!

I only planned for E1 & E2 & then possibly Doom 2 for a couple of maps but anything can change.

And thank you for the feedback!

10 hours ago, praetor64 said:

I was short on time but I played the first two levels. Will continue with 3 and 4. I gotta say I have been making my own map for the first time and playing yours shows how much more polish and detail I could add to mine. I really enjoyed a lot of the claustrophobic hallways and interconnected nature of the maps. The classic "Press Activate on a strange texture to open the secret area" was not present so finding secrets were tougher than expected (which was good!)

I agree with galileo31 that I didn't care for the random teleports into surrounded enemy situations. Both types, porting me into a group of enemies or porting enemies in front and behind was not fun. I had carefully managed my health and then BAM dead with no fault of my own. Thats how I like to see failure, knowing that I could have done something better to avoid it. Those situations take fault out of my hands and I am required to have foreknowledge of the guaranteed damage to prepare.

Other than that I really enjoyed it and will be bringing in a buddy to help me play through on a weekend coming up! Mad props on the skills!

PS I added a picture of a grate in map 2 where a seargent was behind (poison area). The line was passable so I could walk in and get his ammo - not sure if that was intended.

Screenshot_Doom_20190227_193255.png

Forgot to check 'impassable' flag there. Thanks.
Hopefully, I'll get even more feedback & see what else I could improve upon.

I streamed this for you:

Generally a really nice mapset with some easy going combat, but I will echo the above comments about a shotgun given in map2, and some of the secrets being really weird to find, but still interesting.  If not a shotgun, maybe give a chainsaw or fairly easy to spot berserk pack for added laughs

The exits sometimes don't look quite like exits, I accidentally exited map1 early, and re-did it.  I found some of the fights to be a bit cheap; teleporting into the centre of a random group of monsters is ok if you are fully loaded and healthed, but not so if you accidentally trigger them unprepared.

Missing texture in m3 just before the blursphere secret, also a couple of secrets I couldn't find in that map, so i IDDT'd them to check them out, no idea how to get to em.

I'd say you definitely need a couple more radsuits in that nukage zone in m4, i came very close to death there and gave myself a radsuit so I could go back and fight properly.  If no more suits added, put a couple of stepping stones about or something.

All good though, enjoyed it.  Keep it going!!