Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

windoze

They've had over 25 years to perfect the windows operating system and yet I swear Windows98 was better than windows 10. I am genuinely boggled by this. Have you ever tried hiding the taskbar in windows 10? Yeah... good luck with that.

Windoze still hangs and crashes after 24+ hours.

25+ years and they've basically made no progress. It truly is amazing.

26 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

They've had over 25 years to perfect the windows operating system and yet I swear Windows98 was better than windows 10. I am genuinely boggled by this. Have you ever tried hiding the taskbar in windows 10? Yeah... good luck with that.

Record system uptime: 11 Weeks, 1 Day, 18 Hours, 29 Minutes, 59 Seconds.

And yes, this is Windows.

36 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

so it's just my computer, huh. 11 weeks, that's mac territory. 

And it's on a PC whose core components are approaching 8 years old. I build them to last.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the issue could be anything. Does it happen when you're pushing the system? Perhaps the PSU is giving out. Random times? Check for loose plugs/connections. Does it crash at random even while it is on at an oddly high rate? Maybe you got some bad RAM; run a memory tester overnight (ideally 24 hours at least, but who's got time for that). Does your place suffer frequent brownouts? Could be due to the line voltage dipping, in which case a UPS will help you with that.

Edited by Dark Pulse

Let us just say that the staff that was behind Windows 10 was not the staff behind say, Windows Server 2003. Like night and day, those iterations. On one hand, you can't easily play the latest games without Windows 10, but on the other hand, most recent games are complete garbage anyway, and are available on consoles. I'm sticking with Windows 7, and the only troubles I've had with it in the past ten years are it not liking my SCSI card and video capture from 1994, and AMD's latest drivers. The purpose of an operating system is to facilitate the running of software. I have no qualms with jumping straight over to Linux if Win7 becomes unusable in the future, or if my motherboard gets blown out by a power surge or something.

There is no legitimate reason to use Windows 10, with its myriad failings, when you can buy an legitimate OEM key for Windows 7 for like five dollars.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:25 PM, Hellbent said:

Maybe for you.

I actually really like (most) things MS is doing with Windows 10, especially after version 1809 and with the upcoming 1903. Sure, it didn't prove to be very stable on some people's machine, but I've been using it for quite a while and I did not encounter any major problem (crashes, driver incompatibilities, etc.), only a few dumb bugs every now and then introduced after feature updates or cummulative ones.

I've used Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 8, 8.1, and 10, and so far 10, and ironically also 95 and 98, are quite decent. The prize for the worst will have to go to Vista (oh, I first used it shortly after its launch since that's when I got my first modern PC, and it was hot garbage. Unstable OS, drivers, monumentally slow, UAC was a pain in the ass, and ridiculous compatibility problems. Almost nothing worked on it at the time. Cool theme and vastly improved security aside, it was a mess.).

I've had similar issues on 8.1. Unstable, felt like it was going to collapse in any moment, framerate was all over the place in video games, and problems with the sound drivers, on top of missing iconic features of Windows, like a real Start Menu.

The windows 10 comp I put together a couple years ago was one of the most painless builds I've ever made. Not a single hiccup and it's all been very stable since then. Like seed said, there's been a few bugs but nothing major.

I've had win10 running for at least 48 hours and have seen no crashing / freezing. I don't see how win98 could be better. I remember plenty of issues with win98se... blue screens of death and such. Everybody's system is different tho...

On 2/23/2019 at 2:59 PM, Dark Pulse said:

And it's on a PC whose core components are approaching 8 years old. I build them to last.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the issue could be anything. Does it happen when you're pushing the system? Perhaps the PSU is giving out. Random times? Check for loose plugs/connections. Does it crash at random even while it is on at an oddly high rate? Maybe you got some bad RAM; run a memory tester overnight (ideally 24 hours at least, but who's got time for that). Does your place suffer frequent brownouts? Could be due to the line voltage dipping, in which case a UPS will help you with that.

I'm probably not being completely fair with my assessment of win98 vs 10. The 90s is my decade and the halo around everything that came out of that decade has for me grown with the passage of time. 

I have a document I'm trying to update whenever weird things repeatedly happens on my computer (an MSI GS65 Stealth laptop). My computer is still quite new. Obviously most of these problems aren't the fault of Win10 but I'm just including them all here:

• Apps periodically freeze, requiring a log out of the computer (zdoom included; when you change resolutions within the menus [if changed manually directly in the .cfg file, it has no problems]).
  • Arrow keys and scroll inexplicably stop working while typing forum posts.
  • After a day or two of not restarting, the mouse will periodically stop working; closing the computer for a few seconds and opening it again fixes the problem.
  • Killer Control Center (WiFi app) frequently (and inexplicably) turns off the extender even though the extender makes internet work much better.
  • Input in games lags so badly when laptop is connected to TV via HDMI cable that they are unplayable.
  • OBS Software won't record the screen (something to do with the computer having both onboard gfx and dedicated gfx)
  • Mini Motor Racing lags when recording with Game Bar (it's a 2D top down game!).

That's starting to sound like a GPU or video driver issue. Try completely uninstalling your video driver, then install the latest one clean and fresh.

Failing that, check your GPU, using a program like GPU-Z. See if there is any issues with it overheating or anything like that. If the PC is quite new and the fan isn't dusty, I doubt that.

If the GPU isn't overheating, is there another GPU you can use to test out? If you can, try so; if the problems go away, your GPU is flaky and probably needs replacement.

That assumes, of course, you have an actual GPU, and not some on-CPU IGP like many recent AMD/Intel CPUs have. If that's the case, consider getting a cheap GPU (or a not-cheap GPU, if you like to play more intensive PC games cranked up) and see if it goes away then.

The only thing it doesn't really explain is why your Killer Control Center app bombs out. And if this is a laptop (you mentioned Killer, so the odds of that went way up, but desktops have Killer NICs too), then "replace the GPU" isn't a very easy fix; in that case, unless it's on an MXM module or something, you'd probably want to see if customer service for whoever made your laptop can have it diagnosed, assuming it's still within its RMA period. If not, shit will be either more expensive, or simply not happen.

The GPU is GeForce GTX1070i 

I'll uninstall the drivers and reinstall. Thanks for the tip.

Hmm... how do I remove drivers?

I forgot another problem: half the time I close my laptop it doesn't go to sleep. Instead it runs the fans randomly/periodically, as if it's doing something with the lid down. (??????)

14 hours ago, Hellbent said:

The GPU is GeForce GTX1070i 

I'll uninstall the drivers and reinstall. Thanks for the tip.

Hmm... how do I remove drivers?

Try downloading the most recent drivers from NVIDIA's site for your hardware and choose Custom Install -> Perform Clean Install, or just download it but first use DDU to wipe the old driver and all its traces. Never used DDU myself.

I'd also recommend you install only the driver itself and the PhysX, doubt you need anything else, such as the HD Audio Driver.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Hellbent said:

They've had over 25 years to perfect the windows operating system and yet I swear Windows98 was better than windows 10.

Gee, I kind of like the USB support, and mounting .iso's. 

Paint and Movie Maker got worse over time though, like wtf? Also, worse games and no epic Weezer music video. 

22 hours ago, Hellbent said:
  • Input in games lags so badly when laptop is connected to TV via HDMI cable that they are unplayable.

This is likely to the be the TV and all the processing they do on the image. Check to see if your TV has a 'Game' mode where it disables a lot of this processing

Ooohh, thanks WadArchive!

Btw, my computer has been running perfectly since updating my graphics and sound drivers! No funny business, no whirring fans while closed, no hangs. No odd behaviors! I'm so very happy. We'll see if it holds up over the next few days, but in the meantime, thanks everyone for all the help!!

15 hours ago, Hellbent said:

Ooohh, thanks WadArchive!

Btw, my computer has been running perfectly since updating my graphics and sound drivers! No funny business, no whirring fans while closed, no hangs. No odd behaviors! I'm so very happy. We'll see if it holds up over the next few days, but in the meantime, thanks everyone for all the help!!

Sometimes a clean driver reinstall is all you need. Hope it stays good. :) 

In terms of interface, it’s definitely true that Windows has only changed slightly from revision to revision but I’m actually glad about that. Every time I start with a fresh OS my first mission is always to make the UI as similar to Windows 98 as it will allow. If it ain’t broke!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

In terms of interface, it’s definitely true that Windows has only changed slightly from revision to revision but I’m actually glad about that. Every time I start with a fresh OS my first mission is always to make the UI as similar to Windows 98 as it will allow. If it ain’t broke!

Screenshots of "High Contrast" color scheme or I don't believe you.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Hellbent said:

Have you ever tried hiding the taskbar in windows 10? Yeah... good luck with that.

I just noticed my taskbar is now hiding properly, unlike before! Computer still running like a champ.

I've never had problems with Windows 7 or 10 stability that wasn't directly related to the hardware I was using, and regularly have had uptimes of many months on my main machines, to say nothing of servers I work with that use Windows Server 2012 and the ilk. My BSODs have all been related to hardware, and more often than not I'm turning my computer off to put new hardware in or because of a power outage. I think my gripes about modern windows are mostly about tracking and advertising, but that's probably for another thread.