Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Misc heretic & hexen demos

veovisRC, it's just crazy demos, it's just incredible, what you're doing here with Hexen, all on 10 min, oh :)
I like many interesting moments: when you can ride on Afrit, spawn Maulotaur and turn him into a pig, also I see, you now easily pass through any bars, threw off a pair of pounds? :) I understand - it's speed, speed with tricks, ok, but how about normal records, in which it was shown progress on each map, you are not interested in it? Cleric and Mage demos it would also be interesting, the situation will be different for these characters. Deathkings of the Dark Citadel addon have good 3 hubs, do not forget about him.

In any case, these are very rare demos, I'm glad that this demos in vanilla format. I know that you know - almost no one will watch them, but be sure - I always watch, because I'm interested. Thank you for this material, for your rare interest and time!

i'd love to do some demos progressing through the levels normally instead of skipping straight through the game in 10 minutes. to be honest, i find it kind of boring to skip the whole game. it's something i plan to look into. but heretic ep2 BP is calling me :P

Uploaded the new movie records from here and heretic.  By the way, the site supports video links, and I've tried to get them for recent records (the play button on the right, seen a bunch here: https://www.dsdarchive.com/players/veovis)

If anyone knows of any of note that should be linked, feel free to let me know.

i noticed that, it's a really cool feature. i'll try to remember to link my youtube uploads when i post new demos so that you don't have to go looking for them.

Hexen 1.1, Map06, speed, skill-4:
Fighter - 1:21
Cleric - 1:35
Mage - 1:40

kraflab, for DSDA allowed Hexen demos recorded from fillup maps? I can put fillup wad inside archive, this is will be small size anyway.

Hexen06speed-PVS.zip

What is a fillup wad exactly?

Edit: uploaded your hexen demos btw.

Edited by kraflab

I'm having some difficulty playing this Hexen+ demo. I have the port set up like this:

Spoiler

hexenplusfolder.png.f731c9f86fa311a455a29c80c0222b73.png

And the contents of demo.bat are as follows:

hexenp -file colin4.wad -playdemo hopf1943.lmp

But whenever I try to run that in DosBox, it gets stuck on this frame:

Spoiler

colincrash.png.9baab7fb5439b082fe072862a364d4f7.png

EDIT: I got it working. Apparently I had to delete the save files in HEXNDATA.

Edited by SiFi270

SiFi270
If I understood correctly, you freeze at the demo beginning, because in Hexndata folder present savegame files? It's weird, I'm never noticed such problems on Hexen-Plus.

Hexen 1.1, Map06, nomonsters:
Fighter - 1:16.43
Cleric - 1:18.91
Mage - 1:24.83

It's funny, I did not see that Opulent also has Fighter nomonsters demo for this map, but my demo on 0.17 faster, heh

kraflab
About fillup maps. This is Opulent work and idea (as far as I know) and I like this, it is well suited for Hexen. Hexen is not optimized at all for recording demos on separate maps, as well as warping to a separate map for a regular single game, a very small number of maps from IWADs are suitable for such tasks. For example, on Map06 no weapons at all, but player in single game comes to this map with first and second weapons, and this map have ammo for second weapon. This situation is corrected by fillup map ohf6.wad, it gives the player a second weapon and teleports him immediately to the target Map06, this is make possible to record a normal max on this map, not only tyson.

I see that your database has demos from Opulent demoset 2014, that means you have it, it will be better if you read 'Opulent_Hexen_Fillup_Maps.txt' file from this archive, where in correct English and with details present information about such auxiliary fillup wads. Also, I see, that you did not add such Opulent fillup max demos in database, but this is good demos, why not add them? You have Misc category, these demos can be in this category, in my opinion.

I do not know, needed such demos for DSDA or not, but I recorded some my fillup max'es. The only thing I propose, for such demos need put these fillup wads in the archive with demo, so do not need to search for these auxiliary wads.

Hexen 1.1, Map06, FillUp Max, skill-4:
Fighter - 4:42
Cleric - 5:25
Mage - 6:54

P.S. In DSDA -> Hexen -> HexAll demo by veovis 12:34 have player class Berserker, need change to a Fighter, Berserker - this is skill level 4 name :)
Hexen06NoMo-PVS.zip

Hexen06fillupMax-PVS.zip

Edited by PVS

Ahhh right. Yes, I saw these demos when I went through the stuff opulent sent me. I'm not a fan of editing the source material in this way to add runs that aren't available normally though. It feels too arbitrary (although I do understand the motivation behind it).

Alone... Such regular ZDoom phoenix jumping very unusual see in Heretic, for me, hehe
w1f2p122 go in desync for me on ZDoom 2.8.1, all other demos playback fine, why? I may not know something in ZDoom demo recording, probably... Wad is good, nice maps and music.

This is strange...

I just checked that it syncs on my computer, and I redownloaded the wad from idgames to double check, and it's the same wad / version (identical file) to what I had already. I also double checked that it's zdoom 2.8.1.

Keyboard_Doomer also checked and it desyncs for him, so it isn't just you. This is strange, I'm not sure what could explain it 🤔

I actually tried just deleting the config so it's the default, and it still syncs for me. I do use the advanced HUD and have dmflags / dmflags2 set to 0 though, if that means anything. 🤷‍♂️

I also tried playback this demo on a new/clean ZDoom ini-file, but unsuccessfully. For me on old WinME, Win2k, WinXP OS's - I always have desync, and perhaps the problem for me can be exactly in the old OS's, I don’t know. ZDoom has a lot of settings from which can depend demo sync, but I'm sure, that all necessary for demoplayback settings are saved in the demo file, this is logical, otherwise, I can not even imagine how demo playback/recording can work stable on this port. And in this situation, changes for original Heretic gameplay - also come from Wayfarer pwad itself...

kraflab, IWAD also need to check, but I'm sure, you did it a long time ago. In any case, this is not news, I have already encountered situations in ZDoom demo recording, when for one person everything is fine, but for another demo playback with desync, this is bad, of course.

Yes, I checked the iwad as well, it's all correct. I'll probably just do another recording and see if that syncs for other people. Idk if it's something specific to the map or just some random quirk.