Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aether

DeHacked levels

I'll make this short and simple. In my short megawad, I have a DeHackEd for PrBoom+ and a MAPINFO for ZDoom. When I run in ZDoom, MAP15 will end the game and continue to credits. In PrBoom+, it carries on through the Plutonia maps 16-32? Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks!

Well, prboom+ doesn't have mapinfo support, so in that port everything carries into next maps. Solution is create room with "thanks for playing" or something like that and leave no exit, so player will know that they need close port. I suggest add "emapinfo" too for eternity port, so it could exit too at map15, if your map is boom compatible. 

Ah, I see. I guess that also explains why the skies don't change until MAP12 when they should've changed way before. Ok, thanks for the help! :)

About the eternity port thing, I assume boom compatible just means it's vanilla or something. If it is, then yes. If not, you can correct me if ya want.

Boom was a Doom source port released back in the late 90s, which increased or removed various limitations in the engine and added various new features (for example new linedef types, and the ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps).

Most modern ports are either based on or have incorporated Boom's features, with the most notable exceptions being Chocolate Doom, Doom Retro, and Crispy Doom (although the latter two do have a few Boom-derived features).

A "Boom compatible" wad will therefore work in PRBoom, Eternity, 3DGE, GZDoom, QZDoom, Odamex, ZDaemon, Zanondrum, etc, but probably not in the original .exe, Doom '95, or the three exceptions I mentioned. A "vanilla compatible" wad, on the other hand, should work in absolutely everything.

MAPINFO is a "ZDoom" compatible feature, meaning it will only work in ports derived from ZDoom such as GZDoom, QZDoom, and Zanondrum. Odamex and ZDaemon are based on very old versions of ZDoom, so while they do have MAPINFO support they don't support many of the additional commands that have been added over the years (AFAIK Odaemix is better than ZDaemon in this regards).

Incidentally, it is possible to use different skies in most (all?) modern Boom compatible ports (though ironically not Boom itself), which actually bypasses the need to use a MAPINFO or EMAPINFO for this purpose. The second post in this very old thread details the method: 

18 hours ago, DeathAngelz147 said:

Ah, I see. I guess that also explains why the skies don't change until MAP12 when they should've changed way before. Ok, thanks for the help! :)

About the eternity port thing, I assume boom compatible just means it's vanilla or something. If it is, then yes. If not, you can correct me if ya want.

You can use sky transfers, it's a bit tedious to do, but you can use any texture or skybox as sky. You need create sector outside map boundaries and inside that sector create smaller sector. Lower it from ceiling, apply wanted sky on upper texture(it should show on new table) and give action 271. You can leave it untagged, unless you plan add more skies in map or something would break. 

19 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Most modern ports are either based on or have incorporated Boom's features, with the most notable exceptions being Chocolate Doom, Doom Retro, and Crispy Doom (although the latter two do have a few Boom-derived features).

A "Boom compatible" wad will therefore work in PRBoom, Eternity, 3DGE, GZDoom, QZDoom, Odamex, ZDaemon, Zanondrum, etc, but probably not in the original .exe, Doom '95, or the three exceptions I mentioned. A "vanilla compatible" wad, on the other hand, should work in absolutely everything.

To clarify, Doom Retro is fully Boom-compatible.