Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

39 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@FanTazTiCxD, Basically all I'm saying is you may be limiting the number of people who play your map because some people don't want to or even cannot run GZDoom. So the thought goes, "If it theoretically could run on something less, why not test it on something less?" And this is not determined so much by the iwad and the textures, but by which game configuration you used: Doom 2, Boom, UDMF, etc., which you select here:

format.png.14c1c13795a84fa59e205553b356904a.png 

Oh okay! I choose "Doom 2" as highlighted there. I'm very sure my map can be run using any engine, not just gzdoom

26 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Oh okay! I choose "Doom 2" as highlighted there. I'm very sure my map can be run using any engine, not just gzdoom

Not quite. Even when you map for GZDoom in Doom 2 mode, things can still go wrong in PrBoom and other ports, but I'll concentrate on PrBoom.

Your map can become unplayable in PrBoom if you place items such as weapons, ammo and health too close to platforms and ledges. In PrBoom, these items can "levitate" and become unreachable for players. Trust me, the most experienced mappers sometimes make this mistake. This is but one of many issues that have become known as "ZDoomisms."

As mentioned above, PrBoom retains the infinitely tall nature of Things from vanilla Doom. This means that your map may have pitfalls, such as a tendency for monsters to cluster below a ledge a player is supposed to jump from. Not only will the infinitely tall monsters make the jump impossible, they will inflict damage on the player above them. Flying monsters are also infinitely tall, but in this case, it means they block players below them, which doesn't happen in GZDoom. This may make it impossible for players to get past these monsters and finish the map.

Another ZDoomism is an issue discussed above, where you can hit a monster on a pillar and knock it to the edge, where it becomes stuck and helpless. This can be to the player's advantage, because it makes the monsters easier to kill, but it will weaken your encounter design. You can fix this ahead of time by flagging the edges Block Monster -- which will also prevent them from being knocked completely off in GZDoom -- but chances are most mappers forget to always do that -- raises hand -- so running the map through PrBoom will help you fix those problems. 

Yet another issue is that in GZDoom, you can put a trigger line in front of a door or even within the door sector, but in PrBoom, you can't. The trigger has to be at least 16 or 32 units away from the door, or the door will lock and make it impossible for the player to finish your map.

Making sure these problems don't happen is as simple as downloading PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 and giving your map at least one pass in this port before sending it up for testing, and especially before an official release.

Why is this important?

Doomworld is primarily Boom-occupied territory. For various reasons, including the creation of demos by speedrunners and map testers, PrBoom is the king here. Among other things, this is what @HAK3180 means when he talks about limiting your audience. It may not be a huge issue for you, but it's nice to know that if people want to play your map on their chosen port, they can do so.

I wouldn't say you need to test your map on every port, but IMO it is necessary to test it on PrBoom. People who prefer to play in Zandronum, Risen3D, Eternity or Skulltag should be listened to if you make a thread for testing your map, but if you can write that you tested in both GZDoom and PrBoom in your textfile, you'll have most of your bases covered.

@cambreaKer

Doomworld forum topic

The visual style and the flow to some extent is definitely E1. This could be a decent M1 replacement in a mapset, but it’s a little too easy as a standalone. It did have some cool elements here and there.

Bottom line: a fairly generic but not poorly done Knee Deep in the Dead homage

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@cambreaKer

Doomworld forum topic

The visual style and the flow to some extent is definitely E1. This could be a decent M1 replacement in a mapset, but it’s a little too easy as a standalone. It did have some cool elements here and there.

Bottom line: a fairly generic but not poorly done Knee Deep in the Dead homage

Thanks for the review! Also, the map is supposed to be the first map in a e1 replacement.

@FanTazTiCxD

Doomworld forum topic

This thing is well designed for the most part and looks good with a lot of detail, though there are some odd alignments in many places. I got really confused by the icon of sin door. I have no idea when it opened. I also did not find the blue key puzzle enjoyable. Perhaps I missed another part of the map where the same setup is used with visual cues (like TNT map 30). I thought the combat was simultaneously really good and not good. The good comes from a great Doom 1-ish feel and lots of enemies placed in interconnected rooms so that you really have to keep your position in mind. The barrels were a great touch too. But the bad was simply the severe ammo and health shortage early in the map. It was, in my opinion, much too unforgiving for so many hitscanners.

Bottom line: Well on its way to greatness but definitely some noticeable faults

Thank you for playing my map! I appreciate all the time you took to do this, and I watched the whole video! My response to your review includes some spoilers, so open the spoiler below to keep reading:

Spoiler

I have previously watched another person playing my map doing better than you, and having no struggles with health and ammo - probably also due to his ability to find several more secrets. But also because I could see you were using your keyboard instead of a mouse to aim, like you did in the good old doom days. I admit, I didn't consider how much harder it would get if you choose to play like this. I could have added an easier difficulty with less monsters or more health for those playing my map in the old school way, like you did. I should have thought about that. All the 'things' in my map are marked with both "easy", "medium" and "hard".

I have come to realize also, that I should have added a chance for the player to understand how the blue key puzzle worked. Here's an explanation: 

Platform number 2 and 7 (from left) activates the two floors to move up and down. The rest stops their movement. I didn't add any clues to this in my map, which I should have done - or at least a bunch of radiation suits to give the player more chances of trying it out. So you didn't miss any visual clues, because I simply didn't add any - and I should.

The 'icon of sin' door was opened when you flipped the big skull-switch in the end of the stairway tunnel with the arch-viles. It was guarded by a revenant.

However, the big skull-switch was blocked by poles that would only lower after you'd flip another switch, which is the small skull-switch that you flipped even before encountering the poles that would have blocked that area. I should have added some arrows to help the player know where the switches were, and what they were activating. I see, that I gave the player too much time wandering around being confused of where they needed to go...

I am not planning to edit my WAD for now, but I appreciate the time you took to review my map, hearing about the things you liked, and receiving your constructive criticism as well. Notes have been taken for the future, whenever I decide to try mapping again.

For now, I'll focus on being more social ;D I've been quite stuck in this whole doom-mapping universe while making this map, so it's time for me to breathe some air

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This map turns from excellent to pretty bad very quickly. Basically, where the logical end point would be is a teleporter to a few more sequences that aren’t very high quality and are nothing like what the level has been so far. So I’m just going to talk about the first 70% or so, which is great. It’s another collector map where you can get the keys in any order. It has a rough start and lots of roaming monsters. It’s very well designed and looks really cool with a bunch of color-modified stock textures. The keys all come with a different big fight, and they’re all pretty fun. This is one of my favorites by this mapper (until the last section).

Bottom line: Ignore the end part and this is quintessential xdarkmasterx – high quality gameplay and always slightly improving visuals.

@MCarsten (At one point in the map I get stuck and cheat. I eventually realize it has to do with a compatibility setting on GZDoom, so I don’t think the map is broken.)

Doomworld forum topic

It’s an interesting map. The way that the difficulty sneaks up on you is pretty well done. You start with plenty of ammo and not much challenge. The encounters gradually become much more difficult and the ammo abundance deteriorates. Visually, there are good things here and there. Overall it’s a little bit crude and the layout is a little bit compartmentalized; you sometimes feel like each new area is totally discrete, but the opening part and a couple other areas are not that way at all.

Bottom line: This map ends up being a lot better than the first few minutes would suggest

@xdarkmasterx 

Part 1 (this map is not that long; I just didn't have the time when I started)

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic

On easy there was an abundance of ammo but scarce health – interesting combo. Overall it was pretty hard. I usually do much better on this mapper's maps when I play on Hey, Not Too Rough. But as usual, it's never an unfair or cheap hard, nor is it a boring grind at all. Mostly good visuals if you ignore some massive plain undecorated straight walls. You only end up needing one key and although I killed everything without necessarily trying to, I’ll bet you can beat it fairly conventionally with only ~85% kills.

Bottom line: A slight deviation from xdarkmasterx's signature style, this is another good map

Care to give this abomination a look over? It's what happens when you're experienced in Quake II mapping, but then try to make a DooM map with no plan. Thanks in advance.

@Mister Xiado

Doomworld forum topic

There's good and bad. There's a lot of attention to detail in some places, but others are extremely bare. I think the overall progression walks the line nicely between confusing and integrated, and I do like what's done with the yellow keys. Probably the biggest issue is that the combat is simplistic. Almost every encounter is grindy and/or allows way too much space to maneuver. 

Bottom line: Pretty good layout and visuals, monster placement needs work

@HAK3180 I've been slipping too, haven't recorded a "Let's Doom" in at least a month. I gotta get back on top of that.

And, !!

My very first Doom mapping award! I'm honored and I'm glad that you enjoyed Wyrmwood and Nanopineapple so much. I hope to still be posting more wads in this same topic in the future and watching you overcome them. 

@HAK3180 Just want to say thank you. I've enjoyed watching your videos and I bet the mappers really get a lot out of it.  Thanks too for putting the list together, not played most of these-- more additions to the neverending to-play list.  

And totally agree on @xdarkmasterx! I can see the style being a little divisive, but I find them a really distinctive mapper.

@NaturalTvventy

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic

Really good map. Just a few potential negatives for me included some trickiness in navigation (but that’s always a risk in a larger map) and a somewhat underwhelming grand finale. The ending was really fun, to be sure, but the amount of supplies suggested a trio of cyberdemons or something, so I don’t think the monsters need to change, just the supplies. Other than that great stuff. The map is very cohesive, yet offers a variety of loci, visually and navigably, so your combat is never stale or static. In fact, quite the opposite is true. The map’s combat is engaging from start to finish. It’s very hard to find a quiet corner to look at the map, for instance, but you never feel like you’re just grinding.

Bottom line: maybe a little bit confusing, but a memorable map of high quality

Thanks a lot, HAK! Very nice write-up! I'm glad you've enjoyed my last releases!

Unfortunately, I didn't get much time to continue on Ozonia, but I'll do as soon as possible in the future :)

Thanks for playing BoomSITM! It was fun to watch you play another of my maps. Heh those three stacked blue armors near the end are a mistake; I barely tested on anything but UV. 

Good to hear the compliments and the criticism. I’m glad you enjoyed despite the wandering at times - a common occurrence on many of my maps for a lot of folks.

@HAK3180 -- Thank you very much for the HAK Award, and here's hoping you keep this up for another year, though if you're hitting burnout, I could certainly understand taking a break. You've done us all a great service by playtesting our maps and giving us your incisive commentary. May it continue as long as you want it to continue, which I hope is quite a while. ;)

@The Mysterious Moustachio, @stewboy, @Pegleg, @DerFurer'sFace

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This map features all the hallmarks of a great part of a megawad. Its length is just right, making the map cohesive while offering some distinct areas. These areas and how they are connected make this map wonderful to travel around in; the layout is such that you could play it different ways. Its difficulty is overall medium-ish but varied throughout the map. And visually, it’s classic and fresh at the same time.

Bottom line: I’ll be looking forward to this release

Hey there, can you play my map from unfinished RDC project? I'm glad if you'll try it on UV, cuz map is not too hard as well :P

IWAD: Doom 2

Port: Boom

Map: 22

Name: Cold Blood

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN

@MAN_WITH_GUN

The appearance is a simple elegance that hints of realism. The layout is pretty good for the most part, allowing you to prophesy how it will unfold. However, the exact progression was unclear a couple times with switches out of sight of their results. I also found the combat a little weak for two reasons: (1) a number of one-directional threats while you stand back in the other room or on a teleporter and (2) nothing better than a shotgun and not enough ammo for it.

Bottom line: This thing not being properly released yet, I think pretty simple changes can make this into a solid map

I have my submission here for Interception2, MAP13, I just want to see if is it right or needs a little bit more polish in gameplay or layout.

At the moment detailing is probably going to change by the way.

Download Link

You should use the same texture pack provided by The Mysterious Mostachio above 

@DJVCardMaster (I totally screwed up and had my secondary recording channel the same as the first one instead of my mic, so there's only game sounds, and they are "doubled")

Since the video lacks spoken commentary, I'll expound a bit here.

This map reminds me of TNT, and I like TNT. Visually, it has a simple, clean, techy elegance. I think many would find it lacking in detail, but others would think it’s good as is. Apparently, there's more detail to come. The path I took initially got me wrecked, but it seemed to be the perfect combination to get myself screwed, as there are actually plenty of weapon and ammo pickups, just not where I went. It's an interesting debate perhaps: in such an open map, should there be some possible combinations that screw you over or should there be sufficient supplies every possible way you could play it? I was troubled by the lack of ammo/weapons at first, but I eventually came to be fine with it because it really did seem that I just got very unlucky in the path(s) I chose. I did had a few minor issues with the gameplay. I thought the cyberdemon could be entirely eliminated without losing much. It was just the one monster in a backtracking area, and I had very few cells, so it seemed quite obvious to me just to skip that fight. I thought perhaps the final area could use a cyberdemon or spiderdemon because although there's a lot of opposition, it's pretty sure to become a big infight that you can just circle around. I also had a bit of an issue with the one switch that remotely opens the door to one of the key paths. This map is big and open, so, although I didn't, it's entirely possible to get to that switch well before even attempting to open the door it opens. And that could leave you wondering all map what it did. Plus, given the location of said door, it really feels like you will end up opening it from the other side. Other than that I rather enjoyed the map. There was a nice mix of incidental combat with good use of roaming monsters and more specific traps and signature fights.

Bottom line: fun open layout, slightly underdetailed (for now), mostly good, varied combat