Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 5: Brood of Hatred

The IronEagle Competition is back for a fifth month. After last month's foray into the mid-90's, we're going with something a bit more modern/recent (2010) and shorter.

This month, our IronEagle runners will be testing their mettle against Brood of Hatred, the debut map from Doomworld's own @darkreaver.

Brood of Hatred is a single, large, well-populated map, sitting quietly in the Map 22 slot. The play of the map is smooth and varied enough that it should stay interesting and the textures from CC4 were well-used, creating a map that looks good, too.

This month's winners (further details below):

UV: Bdubzzz

HMP: Crusader No Regret

HNTR: Pegleg

The rules are the same as before.

Rules:

Spoiler

Submissions must include a demo from one of the listed available ports.

The first actual attempt must be submitted, there are no do-overs (with very few possible exceptions which I will address as they arise).

A run must be done in a singular sitting. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)

If we do a WIP wad, make sure you are using the latest available version to minimize demo desync issues.

Stream and video runs are accepted if and only if a demo of the same run is provided. This means you are streaming/recording the gameplay as you are recording the demo. A stream/video submission with no demo will be automatically rejected.

Secret levels are, as in DWIL, treated as extra credit.

Freelook is allowed, but jumping and crouching must be disabled for wads that do not support them.

Accepted Ports (any of these are acceptable; there is no preference):

PRBoom+

ZDoom

GZDoom

Category System:

Category 1: Blind run.

This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before.

Category 2: Non-blind.

If you have played the wad before and/or possess any foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2. 

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV.

Spoiler

If you submit a UV run, you may not submit one for HNTR or HMP. Likewise for the other difficulties. Multiple difficulty runs will be rejected and the runner's submission void for that month.

ITYTD and NM runs will not be accepted.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • What map you died on, if there are multiple maps (if you survived, say so)
  • How many kills you had on the map you died on (if the selection is only 1 map, just record your kill count)

You may include the port you used, but that isn't necessary. If you include specific information about the map, please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off.

I will attempt to maintain a spreadsheet where I will keep the information up-to-date for all difficulty levels.

Breaks:

Spoiler

You are free to take a quick break when needed. Intermission screens, if applicable, are the best time to do this.

Multiple demos cannot be accepted, barring exceptional circumstances.

You may split up demos at death exits.

If you reset the map before going to the tally screen on a death exit, you must either end your run or play the map again.

If you die going back around, your survival will count, but your run will end there.

Even if you die, you are encouraged to finish the wad.

Attempting to max the maps is encouraged, but not necessary to win.

Ranking for mapsets is determined by: 1) the last map you completed, 2) the total time elapsed

Ranking for single maps is determined by: 1) survival, 2) total kill count upon death, 3) total time elapsed

All mods used during play must be merely cosmetic.

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

If you don't know how to record demos, I recommend getting the ZDL launcher.

Once you have it set up to find your IWAD's and ports, you can use the field at the bottom entitled "command line parameters" to record your demo with ease.

Template for PRBoom+:

-file boh666.wad -complevel 9 -skill <4> -warp 22 -record <IEBOH>

Where the skill is 2 for HNTR, 3 for HMP, and 4 for UV.

Template for ZDoom:

-file boh666.wad +compatmode 6 -skill <4> +map map22 -record <IEBOH>

Using the ZDL launcher will allow you to select your skill directly and skip the wad selection and warp by immediately starting you in MAP01 on launch.

This wad uses complevel 9 or Boom (strict).

Obviously, the angular brackets indicate fields where you choose what goes there. Don't actually leave them in your command line.

When recording in ZDoom, double check your compatibility settings. When the compatibility is set from the cmdline, it doesn't always stick, so open the port in an IWAD map and make sure to set it to Boom (strict) to be sure the compatibility settings are correct. ZDoom will remember the settings next time you start it.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)

Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)

Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

Edited by Pegleg : Winners added.

Category 2, Survived in 37:24 dubz-boh-IM.zip

Difficulty: UV

I've played this somewhat recently, as in less then 6 months ago probably but anyway I remember this map being a lot harder then it was so kind of a slow/careful pace. I remembered most of the traps or at least WHEN there was going to be one (not necessarily what the trap was though).

Here goes my contribution to this session.
Survived, all blind, 52:33, UV difficulty.

A very tricky map with hard encounters and great layout. Ended up a bit lost after getting the BFG lol...

Here's the demo: dwie_boh_ld85.zip

On 3/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, Crusader No Regret said:

Regular ironman pick was a big "nope" for me so gave this one a go.

Welcome and feel free to frequent the IronEagle competition. I tend to shy away from the longer, more intense mapsets that sometimes mark DWIL, aiming instead for a healthy competition that allows for more flexibility in play.

Thank you to those who participated this month! I hope to see many, if not all of you, back for IronEagle 6. In fact, bring some friends!

Without further ado, here are the results for IronEagle 5: Brood of Hatred.

UV

1. Bdubzzz

2. NoisyVelvet

3. leodoom85

4. dt_

5. Suitepee

HMP

1. Crusader No Regret

HNTR

1. Pegleg

Edited by Pegleg : Yay for copy-pasting and then forgetting to delete the parts that don't apply.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

1. Bdubzzz (Survived)

2. NoisyVelvet(Survived)

3. leodoom85 (Map 11)

4. dt_ (Map 8)

5. Suitepee (Map 3)

???

5 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

???

Thank you for pointing that out.

This is what happens when you're in a rush and you copy-and-paste from another thread and forget to delete the parts that don't apply to the new thread.

Let this be a lesson everyone ... don't be in such a rush that you don't proofread your work at least once.