Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agony Rhapsodist

How to increase the size of the memory zone?

Question

I've been using Doom Builder 2 for about a year and I'm having trouble creating decently large maps - as well as maps with a large number of sectors/objects. 

The problem arises when I try to test these maps: after a few seconds of loading time, a message pops up saying:

"Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of *X* bytes". Thus, I can't test the maps. 

After a few researches, I'm aware I have to increase values for -heapsize and -zone in order to solve the problem, but I'm not sure how to access the options I have to edit. Could someone please give me some very basic, step-by-step instructions on what do I need to modify and where can I find it? These things are not intuitive at all to me. 

5 answers to this question

If you are mapping for vanilla, remember there are hard limits on things like visplanes that you simply can't change. Those parameters likely affect the way the engine runs, not how it loads the map.

40 minutes ago, Nevander said:

If you are mapping for vanilla, remember there are hard limits on things like visplanes that you simply can't change. Those parameters likely affect the way the engine runs, not how it loads the map.

If by vanilla you mean "without source port", that's not my case. I'm using a source port called jDoom

Ah I see. In that case, try "-maxzone 128m" with the space and the m but no quotes. Type that at the end of the target path from the shortcut to launch jDoom. Like this:

jdoom.exe -maxzone 128m

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Ah I see. In that case, try "-maxzone 128m" with the space and the m but no quotes. Type that at the end of the target path from the shortcut to launch jDoom. Like this:

jdoom.exe -maxzone 128m

I can't tell for sure if something's changed. I've typed what you suggested to me in a .bat file, which I put in the same folder as jDoom.exe. The map was still impossible to test because of the same issue. 

At that point, I was not sure if I had done something wrong in creating the .bat file and "connecting" it to the .exe file or if the map had still too many sectors. So I decided to cut one part of the map which had way too many sectors, and this time the map was playable. 

The thing is that I remember having already tried cutting that part in the past, and that time the level didn't start nonetheless. If what I remember is correct, then there has been an improvement. 

For now, I'm assuming the changes worked, if there will be more issues, I'll let you know. If you can already tell I've done something wrong, please let me know. 

Thanks for the help! 

A .bat file doesn't run on its own unless pointed to by a program or by running it manually. That parameter I wrote needs to go on the shortcut or .bat file that Doom Builder uses to launch jDoom. I believe you can even put it on the .exe itself in the Target field at the end of the path, by right-clicking jdoom.exe.