Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryker

My megawad demo

Read this thread and give us more context, like screenshots, intended ports and so on. 

My review: "Hello, 1994!"

It seems that the author was able to cope with the map editor and resource editor. But this is not enough.
It is necessary not only to create a plain set of maps a la 1994, but also to add some zest to your project that will make it somewhat unique, to warm up the interests of other players. Otherwise, the meaning will be lost and most likely will be abandoned (believe me, I have seen this many times).

And by the way, I see missing textures on the map.

50 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

And by the way, I see missing textures on the map.

Yeah I did see 1 missing texture at the exit. Really liked the opening to this map, it was fun making em all kill each other. Other than that, it'd be nice to see a little more detail in each room.

Alrighty. There's a lot to discuss here. First of all, architecturally, the map is very simplistic. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but even Sandy Peterson put some effort into detailing. This looks like an amateur level from, as noted above, 1994. If you're going for a simple style, I would open up the Ultimate Doom Episode 1 or Erik Alm's Scythe.wad in your editor and checking out how they use abstract, simplistic architecture to create visually appealing maps and layouts. Next, let's discuss design. The map is made up of 4 medium to large rooms with the one in the center acting as a crude hub. And plays like a wolfenstein map with monster closets. Every room has the same floor and ceiling height. I recommend adding stairs, one way drop offs, and other elements to keep each room fresh and interesting. Also, I took a look at the map in GZDoombuilder and noticed that all the missing textures were actually the Ultimate Doom textures! I'm wondering how this happened, perhaps you have your editor pull from both resources? Either way, a few textures were missing. In the editor, I also got an error: "Skybox creation failed: Sky1 property is missing from the MAPINFO map definition." I've never seen this error, perhaps someone can clear this up and help you fix it. This is a very basic map. It might be in your best interest to work on improving your visuals, gameplay, and style before continuing with such a huge undertaking as a megawad. When I first started mapping, I fell into that same trap, I only got 2 maps in (thank god) before giving up. I'm not telling you to do the same, but to consider ways to improve the current product. Far be it from me to suggest someone stop doing what they feel like.

Spoiler

image.png.45e3c2627449221159da91fce8c8c5ec.png

Also your map is shaped like a guy in is underwear, holding what is perhaps a fish or a carrot. Therefore, I take back everything I said about the architecture.

ROFLMFAO!! That layout, you can't say its not original and with a speedo to boot, LOL. Also I think that is supposed to be a hammer in his hand, 

or an extension of his arm, or its an axe..sheesh I dunno I just can't stop laffing. ( No disrespect intended I just never seen this before.)

Kinda puzzled about the kneepads tho. :o)

Edited by Korozive

The missing texture is something I was not able to figure out