Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

"Doom: Annihilation" Should I watch it when it comes out, or should I just not waste my time?

A while back, I watched the first Doom movie. I instantly regretted it.

Should I just ignore the upcoming Doom movie despite the fact that I am a fan of Doom, like how I'm ignoring the upcoming Sonic movie even though I am also a fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise?

I'm saying this with genuine concern because what if the Doom movie ends up being faithful to the games and I ended up missing out on a great opportunity?

Eh id skip it to be honest. Much better movies are available that fit the genre that are good. 

I say "no".

Watch it in your spare time to make your own opinion, and if you end up liking it, good, if not, well, shit happens I guess.

You can't "miss out" on a direct-to-DVD release. Chances are, reviews will pop up and if someone who seems to think the same way as you says "hey, it was fun actually", then you can always risk it. If you regret watching it, remember that playing more Doom keeps the trauma at bay.

Not trying to make prejudices but already the title "Doom: Annihilation" bothers me. Feels like a generic/typical edgy/"cool" word used as a marketing strategy to draw attention but utterly fails.

Not a fan of videogames movies either. Most of them suck really bad. The first Doom movie was horrible. All that I can hope for the second one is that it's better than the first.

Also I saw some pics of the movie being made and they are... meh, or weird. You can't tell anything from just the pictures obviously but there wasn't anything that got me interested either. Plus No Baron on the movie is a shame.

So my simple call is no, don't watch it (at least don't pay the cinema entry to do so).

I have many many good movies in my movies left to watch (because I suck at watching movies for some reason) and Doom will not have priority on the list.

The first Doom movie actually had a budget and some talent and it still was pretty lame, so I’d say a version with substantially less budget is almost certainly going to be worse.

Watching bad movies can be fun though, just keep that in mind.

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

The first Doom movie actually had a budget and some talent and it still was pretty lame, so I’d say a version with substantially less budget is almost certainly going to be worse.

Watching bad movies can be fun though, just keep that in mind.

The only bad movie I liked was The Incredible Bulk.

The Incredible Bulk isn't even so bad that it's good. It's just really, really awful and embarrassing. It's bad in all of the worst ways possible. 

Was the second live-action Mortal Kombat movie not also called "Annihilation"? Seeing how bad it turned out to be, I do not see it as a good omen. Also, the official pictures seem to be coming straight out of a Uwe Boll movie...

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

I will absolutely give it a chance. Even if the older I get, the more movies get their 15 minutes to interest me, before I shut them off. Just because the original Doom movie was bad and this new movie looks to be with a less budget with zero star power doesn't mean it can't be good, it just has a lot of things working against it. Perhaps they're going for the so bad it's good, which I think the original Doom was going for... but utterly missed its mark.

I've seen other Universal made straight to DVD movies and they were fair, but devoid of star power except for a few here and there. I'd much rather watch a terrible Doom movie than a terrible movie without the Doom name.

If it is some gem or true to the Doom name, or so bad it's good, I'll let you and the forum know.

It's been said already, but I'll add my voice to the chorus: if you're on the fence, wait for reviews from people you trust. I expect a middling affair, more remarkable for its brand association than its quality or content, but I plan to watch it as soon as I can. I've subjected myself to some absolute trash over the years, like Minotaur and Birdemic. I'm sure I can handle this movie if it's bad. And if it's not bad, I haven't wasted my time.

I'm a horror fan and I can enjoy something stupid as long as it's entertaining. I mostly enjoyed the 2005 film (though I will never not complain about them not being demons) and Annihilation has to be spectacularly bad for me to truly hate it. The worst I'm expecting is simply mediocre.

Sometimes, mediocre can be more infuriating than outright bad, as the former is usually the result of the crew having the ability to make something good and even getting very close to that, but ultimately failing for whatever reason.

8 hours ago, Nevander said:

Just watch it. You can't know if it's good or bad if you never watch it.

I don't agree with this sentiment. I don't need to ever watch the movies Tomcats, Norbit, Jack & Jill, Deuce Bigalow 2, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, That's My Boy, Monster in Law, or Son of the Mask to know that I'm going to hate every agonizing moment of them. 

I'll watch it and either like it or make fun of it or both and then move on. It's just a movie.

I'm sure I've seen way stupider horror movies than whatever they've cooked up.