Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Doom 2 rendered with a Raycaster

This looks awesome! 

How long does it take to create these projections? There are tons of maps that would look amazing with this!

Damn I was expecting Wolfenstein 3D style visuals hehe, but this looks pretty good.

58 minutes ago, Red-XIII said:

This looks awesome! 

How long does it take to create these projections? There are tons of maps that would look amazing with this!

thank you! the rendering time is a few seconds, one has to prepare the map though. I.e. the map I took for the projection does not have a ceiling. Never really liked projections of indoor maps because you have to handle the "back side" of walls which do not have a back side. one can take them away or make them translucent a little bit, but both are not solutions I really like.

7 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Damn I was expecting Wolfenstein 3D style visuals hehe, but this looks pretty good.

umm, not sure what you mean, like a live raytracer game?

This is pretty awesome. I like the way this looks. I also hadn't heard of Doomiablo, and now I've got to play it.

It does make me wonder, though, if GZDoom ever gets Vulkan, could we perhaps ever see Raytracing? I mean, there's only a handful of cards that could use it, but it'd be cool.

13 minutes ago, Daryn said:

This is pretty awesome. I like the way this looks. I also hadn't heard of Doomiablo, and now I've got to play it.

It does make me wonder, though, if GZDoom ever gets Vulkan, could we perhaps ever see Raytracing? I mean, there's only a handful of cards that could use it, but it'd be cool.

Not like you can only do raytracing in Vulkan, you know, though given how Doom is most definitely not a modern engine in a lot of ways, I don't see much use in raytracing it in GZDoom. Sprites would become a nightmare to handle, I'd imagine, and it'd be useless for the vast majority of Doom maps since raytracing's main benefit is real-time lighting and such - stuff that'd need dynamically-lit maps to do.

Newer mods and the like that were designed with that in mind would be good for that, but the back library would be pretty much useless unless there's some sort of automated way to convert the sector lighting to dynamic lighting, and even then it'd not be nearly as good as hand-placed.

@Dark Pulse oh I see but from the very same link it states: "Raycasting is not the same as raytracing! Raycasting is a fast semi-3D technique that works in realtime even on 4MHz graphical calculators, while raytracing is a realistic rendering technique that supports reflections and shadows in true 3D scenes, and only recently computers became fast enough to do it in realtime for reasonably high resolutions and complex scenes."

@Daryn glad you like it :).

@gzdoom with raycasting would for sure look nice (i.e. comparable to the shots I've posted), but I do not know how one wants to implement sprites in a way it looks good.