Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin (a new game from 3D Realms)

Loooove what I saw in that video, will buy it. The weapon sounds and animations are beefy and there aren't any/many bullet-spongy enemies. Love the soul tether idea, it's going to help with landmarking, too. Maybe it should emanate more light so normal rooms aesthetically become like "save rooms". Or in open areas it can create a light bubble in the middle of the darkness.

I'm just not really fond of pixelated models, I hope they add a GL mode or something.

2 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I'm just not really fond of pixelated models, I hope they add a GL mode or something.

Conversely I'm loving that aesthetic haha. Given the engine I'm pretty sure you will be able to mangle the art style to your liking with console commands.

16 minutes ago, Kira said:

Conversely I'm loving that aesthetic haha. Given the engine I'm pretty sure you will be able to mangle the art style to your liking with console commands.

Usually I prefer pixelation with sprite based games. Every ID Tech 2 engine game had provided the option for filtering at some point, I wouldn't call it mangling the art style.

Edited by Avoozl

Now if only 3D Realms could ge their hands on the Duke Nukem IP back and I could die happy.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

Usually I prefer pixelation with sprite based games. Every ID Tech 2 engine game had provided the option for filtering at some point, I wouldn't call it mangling the art style.

For the record I wasn't saying that in an hostile manner. My idea of "mangling" was closer to the translation of "altering" but it turns out this meaning is all but non-existent contrary to my intuition. Oh the woes of not being a native English.

I still stand by the current aesthetic though :-D

10 hours ago, KillPixel said:

@holaareola

I hear you loud and clear.  I didn't realize at the time that bit of footage would go public.  It's a beta tutorial area being played for the first time by a journalist on a macbook.

I think your fears will be laid to rest soon.

That's good to hear, athough unfortunate from a marketing perspective. @Kirayou were right on the mark then!

Cool to have you engaging with the community. Btw, what Quake engine are you using?

29 minutes ago, Kira said:

I still stand by the current aesthetic though :-D

I never said anything against your preference. ;)

Edited by Avoozl

16 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@holaareola Judging by the default crosshair it looks like DarkPlaces, so not really id Tech 2, but DarkPlaces has id Tech 2 code, so, close enough.

I remember KillPixel saying the game was made on DarkPlaces indeed.

@VGAthank you :D  this is just a taste, it's only going to get cooler from here!

@Avoozl you'll have plenty of options, including bilinear filtering.

@holaareolathanks, we're using darkplaces.

@Lila Feueryeah, using DP for the engine, but it's still 100% QuakeC :D

@Noiseroh yes, you will have option to make it nice and crunchy!

@borisabsolutely!

Edited by KillPixel

I've never been a "Quaker" or "Boomer" or what have you, but this is making me into one.  Just reinstalled Quake and expansions with Quakespasm this week, as well as Arcane Dimensions and some other maps to hold me over until this releases.  I think it's great that 3D Realms is still doing these modern retro games on old engines.  It's a great time to be an old school gamer for sure.

I think it's really cool to see the use of older game engines for new games, quite often these efforts are lead by the fanatics who never stopped honing their skills and are now at the peak of their talents. A lot of these engines can still hold their own, when we reached pretty close to photorealistic graphics, then that level of fidelity stopped being special. Now the barrier of entry into the game business is much lower again. It's like a repeat of the 1980s and 1990s where all you needed was a PC and the gumption and you could go from sleeping on a matress on the floor to being a multi-millionaire.

Regarding Arcane Dimensions i think while the mapping is brilliant, sometimes they go over the top with the enemy hordes and monster closets.

On 3/7/2019 at 2:03 PM, KillPixel said:

my new slogan:

"KillPixel is about to make you his friend"

Your new slogan:

"KillPixel is about to make you his witch"

@KillPixel Just saw the IGN video of this a few days ago. Hadn't about it before then. Even with the slower pacing in that vid, I was still really into it. LOVE the look and sound of that slime launcher that uses the cysts for ammo. Same goes for the double barreled shotgun. Was a little reminiscent of the Quake 1.5 footage. Really digging the hell out of this, can't wait to play.

The one thing that really bothered me about the IGN gameplay footage was how the player can seemingly walk through the zombie enemies using its wristblade weapon. Eg. the 2nd enemy killed in that video. For some reason I find this completely jarring, and would prefer a visible bump when it does that. Without it, it's like the enemies are just apparitions you can walk through and let randomly explode.

Damn Andrew is like in basically every game coming out nowadays :O

Love everything about the aesthetics in this - the forested intro area reminds me of what I imagined Quake would look like before any screenshots of Quake had been released and the devs were still fantasizing about what they'd do with the new WIP engine. One to watch for sure, hope it all comes together as it should!

It sure looks sweet. Keeping an eye peeled.

Hey guys, I was recently on a podcast where I talk a bit about WRATH, myself and the history behind the game.  Some of you may find it interesting :D

@Caffeine Freak Thank you!

@Mordeth Yeah, this is something we've been talking about.  At one point we had the impact slow/stop the player - which was really lame.  We think we're going to try having the gibs inherent some of the the players velocity and angle so the gibs fly a little in front.

@SOSU Yep - he's in demand!

@Soundblock Thanks, I think it will be pretty cool ;)

@MFG38 We'll be at PAX next week, so expect some more media around then.

On 3/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, KillPixel said:

@MFG38 We'll be at PAX next week, so expect some more media around then.

Love the sound of that!

55 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

WRATH: Aeon of Zombies 

Haha, yeah... we're working on that.  Think of the current zombies as placeholders; they were made to test the gibbing system.  The new Fallen are far more interesting, both visually and mechanically.  The Fallen are the lowest tier enemy of the 15-enemy roster (not including bosses).  They'll also be less frequent, there are many here because it's the demo-fied version of the first level.