Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

1 minute ago, Sgt Nate V said:

@Man of DoomWould it help to spoiler your post? It's really long here.

@TakenStew22I would prefer if you don't quote said long post, especially since we had this problem earlier in this thread.

I edited it. Thanks for the heads up.

That gun looks way too big for her even if it's a BFG. Looks kinda funny. I hope the movie is good.

I totally get where @Man of Doom is coming from regarding people PMSing all over the place about stuff like this, and you could easily argue that this thread is a bit of a saltmine. But at the same time, I don't think most people are being unreasonable, at least not on this forum. Most of the negative reactions I've seen to the trailer, both here and elsewhere, have little to do with cries of 'SJW/PC feminazi', and more to do with, well... the trailer itself. This isn't a case of a fanbase putting a jewel under a microscope so they can scream about it. That was an underwhelming glimpse at the movie, and it had a couple of cringeworthy parts in it. It had a few cool things as well, which gives me hope that there will be some redeeming aspects of the movie. Nevertheless, trailers are meant to get people talking, and I think the lack of confidence people display here is reflected pretty accurately in what is shown in that trailer.

No, we still don't KNOW what the movie will be like, and I'll reserve my review until I actually see it.  

It's strange how the internet is bashing the new doom teaser. Yet the resident evil movies were wildly successful and people hated those as well. Haters gonna hate i guess

I don't get all the hate surrounding this movie. I think it looks fine (Well, it is a trailer, so we've only been shown part of the movie).

29 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

This isn't a case of a fanbase putting a jewel under a microscope so they can scream about it. That was an underwhelming glimpse at the movie, and it had a couple of cringeworthy parts in it. It had a few cool things as well, which gives me hope that there will be some redeeming aspects of the movie. Nevertheless, trailers are meant to get people talking, and I think the lack of confidence people display here is reflected pretty accurately in what is shown in that trailer.

I completely agree with you. I know that there's plenty of interesting things to be excited about in this new movie (like what demons they're going to include, the BFG making an appearance, the environment), but at the same time, it seemed like the trailer only existed to exacerbate whatever flaws the movie is going to have, including some incredibly cringeworthy dialogue with bad delivery.

It's just that on places like r/Doom and various Discord servers, people are moaning over "esjaydubbaewes/enpeecis", but here, the concerns shown have had more weight so far. Seriously, that trailer was underwhelming as hell.

Unfortunately, it already seems like the majority of the general public has already written this off as just another quick cash-grab and declared it DOA. It's kind of depressing too because I could definitely tell that the director was incredibly passionate about this movie. It's like the cast and crew wanted to make a good or at least an entertaining movie, but due to shitty marketing and unrealistic expectations, almost everyone is like "HOW DARE YOU THIS IS NOT LEGAL I DEMAND TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER".

This situation is pretty much a classic example of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". :(

Edited by Man of Doom

Im getting seriously entertaining b-movie action horror vibes and have gone directly from a state of 'cautious openmind-ness' to 'eager anticipation'

This feels low budget in a way I was really hoping for as opposed to some kind of faux glossy but low in scope affair you'd see netflix buy out and sell as an original, like the one about the dad getting turned into an alien, which i imagine had a similar budget but put it all into one big effect as opposed to 'decent' cgi shots building shots and a bunch of dudes in costumes -- which isnt a criticism by the way, I'm genuinely into this look. It feels appropriate for doom to me. I don't want "actually Aliens," just an aliens rip off.

Edited by EtherBot

I see the trailer is out. As much as I want to see it badly... I will avoid it and go into the movie blind like I have every other movie for the past 7 years.

1 hour ago, UNERXAi said:

That gun looks way too big for her even if it's a BFG. Looks kinda funny. I hope the movie is good.

That female actor looks tiny and unconvincing, that's the impression I got from the trailer anyway. If the gun and all the gear she has on weren't cheap plastic props she wouldn't be able to stand.

I mean if you want a female lead in your badass space demon-fighting action movie, get Gina Carano or something.

Spoiler

defreeze.png.69c05fd54136f1e8879bc55b56c504fc.png

I edited that image to get rid of that cold filter and lower contrast a bit so the weapon doesn't mix with her suit so well.. I think it looks pretty dcent for a bfg, for their budget that is... do marines wear armor made of trash bag? explains why green armor blocks jackshit. (am too bothered that the green jar at the bottom isn't lit now too)

If it weren't for the title and the brief references to Hell I would've thought this was just some Aliens knock-off that aired on SyFy (and yes, I know that DOOM was partly inspired by Aliens, but the game has some much more to it than that). Very little of the designs give off a "DOOM" vibe.

Yeah, it's just a 30 second teaser and the final movie may be different, but perhaps they could've added some different bits in that time? Also, considering the talent working on it and how it's a direct-to-DVD film it doesn't paint a very good picture.

I mean yeah, aside from the Phobos compound, BFG, guns, marine squad going in to find out wtf happened, mentions of Hell, actual demons getting in peoples' faces, and zombies getting blown up with barrels, there's not much Doom going on :P

11 minutes ago, Quasar said:

I mean yeah, aside from the Phobos compound, BFG, guns, marine squad going in to find out wtf happened, mentions of Hell, actual demons getting in peoples' faces, and zombies getting blown up with barrels, there's not much Doom going on :P

Note how I said "designs" and not "premise". IMO, the distinct, iconic designs is part of what makes DOOM what it is.

The demons look like generic aliens, and aside from the BFG like you mention, the armor and weaponry looks like generic sci-fi/military guff.

Perhaps some of the other footage will be better, but it doesn't make a very good first impression.

I’m pretty much of the same opinion as you, chemo. I feel like that was a big part of what made the 2005 film kinda sucky as well. The one thing that actually looked correct in the ‘05 one was the pinky demon, far as I recall. Christ, they didn’t even bother to make the BFG goo green, who the hell knows why. It would be excellent if some of the weapons and enemies actually looked like their in-game counterparts.. That was one thing I was really hoping for with this new one but it looks as if it’s going to be the same deal once again. At least the hellspawn are called hellspawn.

The freaking IMP looks exactly like a Doom 3 IMP. I am so freaking stoked!!

I mean, It doesnt have Brie Larson as the Lead, but honestly I am pretty sure I will enjoy this far more than Captain Marvel. This looks better than the last Doom movie, which had a stellar cast but shit story. This looks more like a real DOOM story, and likely about the squad that all dies before the beginning of Ultimate DOOM. I felt like this should have been obvious; I doubt this will tie into the current iteration of DOOM games. Exploding Barrels and infested Phobos basically reaffirm such a suspicion.

The special effects look great. Ill support this and hope there is a followup called ULTIMATE DOOM ;)

I get the feeling that whether this movie is good or bad I'll enjoy it. Practical monster effects, sketchy line delivery, supposedly a high body count, and a bit more faithfulness to the source material than the 2005 movie.

edit: also, I've been thinking about the UAC team's uniforms. It is lame that they aren't rocking the Green armor and classic helmet, but we do have precedent for UAC grunts wearing all black gear...

Sgtnojoi.png

Edited by Komenja

It's a weak trailer, but it doesn't exactly upset me considering 1) it's 30 seconds long, 2) the movie doesn't come out till autumn, and 3) we knew from the start this would be a low-budget capitalization on the franchise.

That said, I see no reason to withhold comment on what little has been shown. Some of the finer details look okay--the BFG, moon base, imps, etc. The filmmakers have more than a passing familiarity with the games; that much seems certain. But if ANNIHILATION does much stylistically to distinguish itself from the 2005 film, the trailer doesn't make that clear. The sets and costuming evoke the earlier movie, for the most part, and it generally looks like the kind of low-budget DTV sequel you'd see in the '90s and 2000s. Granted, a few of those transcended their obvious, sometimes painful limitations--an example I enjoy is GUYVER 2: DARK HERO. There's a chance ANNIHILATION could do that, too. Am I counting on it? Not really; I'm just saying it's possible. But it's hard to glean that potential from a short trailer filled with dumb slogans and few distinguishing features.

In short, I can't say the movie will be so good that it deserves a better trailer. But I look forward, at least, to a longer trailer.

The film looks a bit cheap, but the (very) brief glimpses of the monsters look promising and it might be at least okay. Also, we still get Hell AND we get exploding barrels!

The trailer on the other hand was a piece of garbage. The text that kept popping up was lame and cheesy and not in a fun way. I mean, seriously? "Wanted: Doomslayers"? That feels so... stupid. And then the editing of the trailer was WAY too fast. Unless the film is edited like that, it should be better than this piece of shit trailer.

I saw trailer and i think it will be Resident Evil's son. Doom 2005 movie was similar to RE too - mystic virus, zombies, mutants.

It's not too bad, just kind of generic. 'least they got the demens part right I guess. I'll watch it for sure.

About the length of the trailer, maybe it's short because they don't have a lot of things to show or don't want to spoil everything. Not sure how I feel about this.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Doom The Movie 2: Electric Boogaloo

Doom movie 2: the movie based of a game that already had a movie and a game.

I just had a chance to watch the trailer, and like most, thought it was pretty underwhelming. The special effects look low-budget, the demons look fine, and the guns seem a bit too plastic-looking.

That said, I'll probably enjoy myself with a big bag of popcorn and my brain in the 'off' position.

I have a pretty good idea of what to expect now, I'll drink accordingly. This'll probably be a 3-beer movie.

If I wanted to make an appealing teaser to get big positive talks from Doom fans I would consider having a short cliche scene showing the boots of the Doom Marine, gradually panning to his helmed face and then he cocks his shotgun. This would be the actual classic green armour. Then some nostalgic pandering Doom music as the logo appears.

Very simple, very cliche but damn effective message telling the masses "this is for the Doom fanbase, get hyped for more".

The scenes mostly showed marines in B movie SWAT gear and zombies. Is this Doom 2005?

I don't hate the trailer but it doesn't gives me a great impression.

Edited by Chezza

If you really want to put a female character in a DOOM movie, you had better make sure she's up for the part. She is weak and scrawny and looks like she could break apart if the wind blows the wrong way. If you want a "strong female character" then FUCKING DO IT! The actress is also quite attractive but they made her ugly in the movie. Now I know she's a marine and all but Ripley was hot in Aliens so there is no excuse.

The CGI is beyond terrible.

The base interior looks like the set was literally just a factory with some blue light and smoke in it.

The imp looks like a big lump of nothing. 

The only good part was the semi-homage to the end screen map buildings.

The armor just looks generic as fuck. 

And don't give me shit about how "it's not even out yet". A trailer is meant to show you what to expect and to make you want more. As much as I love everything Doom related, this is just shit. 

At this point I just wish Id made a 30-40 minute version of that Doom 2016 commercial. 

Some people hate just to hate. Reserve your opinions for release please, thank you. I'm getting sick of the negativity in here. My concerns with the movie were alleviated when they confirmed Doomguy will be in it. I don't care how B-movie or cheesy it is. It's like everyone forgot about basically every action movie from the 80s-90s and the cheesy stuff there. For fucks sake.

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

Some people hate just to hate. Reserve your opinions for release please, thank you. I'm getting sick of the negativity in here. My concerns with the movie were alleviated when they confirmed Doomguy will be in it. I don't care how B-movie or cheesy it is. It's like everyone forgot about basically every action movie from the 80s-90s and the cheesy stuff there. For fucks sake.

How can you NOT be concerned when it looks so cheap? I'm all for B Movie charm like Evil Dead 2 but this has none of that.

I bet the only reason they even made it is so they can hold on to the rights.

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

How can you NOT be concerned when it looks so cheap?

Because I reserve my opinion when I can actually see the full thing. Why be concerned over which I cannot change?