Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tingsing

3d floors: horizon workarounds?

Hey everyone, I've been working for hours trying to get a cloudy horizon effect working on my map and its driving me bonkers lol. I'll post some screenshots showing what I'm dealing with below.Screenshot_Doom_20190312_041037.png.1c9f008817ea29755a69fcd59bd8b600.png

This is the effect I'm looking for, but I would like to have a horizon effect on this fake floor (this is using sector set 3D floor).

Here's what happens if I use Transfer Heights:

Screenshot_Doom_20190312_041207.png.f8cf0f840261197bf8225d034bc88fee.png

As you can see, this gives me the horizon effect I'm looking for, but this gives me a few problems. You'll notice the fake floor isn't translucent anymore. I can't figure out how to achieve this effect with transfer heights. Here is another issue: When entering an area outside, below the fake floor, I want it to be a dark+foggy effect. Using Transfer Heights, you can't see outside if you're below the fake floor., all you see is the skybox viewpoint. Example:

Screenshot_Doom_20190312_041242.png.bcbc541306d0c2f1095d8b1d62934edb.png

Now, I can solve this if I use 3D floors, but again, I won't have the horizon effect on the fake floors. Here's what the above problem looks like with 3D floors:

Screenshot_Doom_20190312_041104.png.7bfaebd5f010a849fb861e982930bc12.png

That looks a little better. Remember, this is below the fake floor, and here's what this looks like when I get closer to the edge of the map.

Screenshot_Doom_20190312_042843.png.0104a2cfcbd68f06a1799615ba586721.png

No horizon on the 3d floors. It cuts off at the edge of the sector.

If I remember right, theres nothing you can do when it comes to giving 3d floors a horizon, and since 3d floors seem to be the closest I can get to achieving this effect, I was wondering if there are any workarounds via scripting or otherwise, or if theres something I can do for a similar effect. Sorry if this was formatted badly or if the images are way too large, I've posted here maybe 3 times in my life and its probably been 3+ years since my last time. Any help is HIGHLY appreciated!! Thank you for reading.

I tried that once with 3d water but the sector simply refuses to go beyond thanks to the boundaries of sector..........maybe it's not possible

I wondered if there were some sector portal shenanigans you could pull, I hadn't tried it yet though. Thanks for experimenting!

Here's the map I'm working on that I cut from the whole wad. Its MAP01. The dummy sector is outside of the main play area, to the right, separate from the other dummy sectors. Maybe someone can mess around with this and find a solution? Again, MUCH appreciated. And thank you for the help so far!

I test using GZDoom g3.2.5 with hardware rendering. The map itself requires jumping, but you start outside anyway which is all you really need to see.

aaahelp.zip

I don't think that what you are trying to do can be done (unless the portals idea works out), but what you could do is have the fog go all the way up to the sector ceiling, and then out to the horizon.  Or, the fog could be lower than the player's eyes, even when crouched, and the skybox could have that 3D floor fog go far enough away that the player wouldn't be able to see where it transitions to solid fog.

So, at this point I'm just making the outdoor area so big that you can't see the edge anyway. The only thing I worry about is the map size being too big (not just in terms of file size) but if I remember right, there can be rendering issues if the map is too big. I could be wrong on that though. Here's what I'm at currently. In game, you can still see the edge of the outdoor sector if you look at it at an angle, but it looks endless if you're viewing the edge face-on. Is this a problematic way to go about this method? Otherwise this seems to solve my problem for now.

image.png.694450cdc72f14afd6589ca4774db49e.png

I looks like it not much bigger than the 32k x 32k recommended limit, and most of it is outside the play area, so it should be OK.  It would be better if you could center the whole thing around the origin.

I'd also suggest using a circular shape instead of a square, this will help it not have noticable edges should the player get high enough to see it.

Alternate solution is to create a skybox which has the cloud effect implemented one way or another.