Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

1 hour ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Also the Elementalism wad OP had 127 likes, so it's pretty close.

Don't I just know it! 😁

Edit: Oops, didn't mean to start a new page with such a banal comment!  Now I need to think of something more meaningful to say!  Erm...

Did you know if you want to turn the Eviternity weather effects off on GZDoom, the console command is gutaweather_enabled 0?

Ta da!

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

Edit: Oops, didn't mean to start a new page with such a banal comment!  Now I need to think of something more meaningful to say!  Erm...

Did you know if you want to turn the Eviternity weather effects off on GZDoom, the console command is gutaweather_enabled 0?

Ta da!

Saved it! :P

9 hours ago, Bauul said:

There is another way. Open Eviternity.wad with Slade and find "MENUDEF_" and rename it to "MENUDEF" (removing the underscore). This will enable the Eviternity option in GZdoom option menu.

There is another thing I want to say. I noticed that the starting fight in map 29 (2-cyberdemon and hell knights fight) can be easily cheezed.

Spoiler

After pressing the switch that starts lowering the cyberdemon gate, immediately get exactly behind the hell knight spawn portal. When knights will appear, they will not wake up as their backs will be facing the player. The cyberdemons' rockets will hit the knights which will cause infighting. More knights will spawn and they will be hit by rockets too. Continue waiting until all knights get eventually killed and then player can easily dispatch the weakened 2 cyberdemons.

Is this intentional?

48 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

There is another thing I want to say. I noticed that the starting fight in map 29 (2-cyberdemon and hell knights fight) can be easily cheezed.

I can't speak for the map designers intentions, hopefully they'll have an answer for you! I would note that there's quite a bit of cheese to be sniffed out on this map, for example both the blue key pickup and the final fight can be totally cheesed as well. I won't say how here as I'm saving it for the DWMC March Eviternity playthrough. Reviews for this map will come out on the 30th.

14 minutes ago, tmorrow said:

both the blue key pickup and the final fight can be totally cheesed as well.

I know about the final fight cheese too. But that one does kinda seem intentional (atleast to me) as it even requires the knowledge of the secret location to perform the cheese tactic.

I don't know about the blue key cheese tho. I would really like to hear about it when we get there in DWMC thread..

Hmm I knew about the final fight cheese but I thought I'd removed the tactic. BK I'm not so bothered about.

Staunchly refusing to play along with  the DWMW club, since I prefer to play at my own pace. But I still wanted to review a level.

Started the 5th episode last night and finished Map 21. I have been telling myself all through the previous episode that I should probably switch down to HMP for this chapter, but I swear I can feel myself improving along with the mapset. I keep coming out of encounters, thinking "Gah! I'm doing terribly!" then realise I'm doing fine when I see my health/armour. Only a couple of deaths on this map, and at least one of them because blind carelessness let that damn arch-vile catch me without cover.

I wanted to say, I absolutely *love* the opening: large enemies all over the place and nothing to properly fight them with. I didn't find the early SSG until later, so had to run past a horde or two of monsters to find a decent weapon. Out of fear for managing the tight ammo count, I had to to drop my normal cautious, methodical play style and charge about like a maniac, adrenaline pumping, never daring to stand still. The map is clearly well-designed for it: large open spaces to charge around in, with encounters that'll easily outflank you if you're not quick to contain them.

So yeah, looks like I'll be ploughing on with UV, screaming BRING IT! at my monitor.

Bring it, Eviternity. Bring it.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:44 AM, ReaperAA said:

There is another way. Open Eviternity.wad with Slade and find "MENUDEF_" and rename it to "MENUDEF" (removing the underscore). This will enable the Eviternity option in GZdoom option menu.

Better yet I figured out how to enable compatibility in older versions of gzdoom (testing it on v2.4 currently).

Go in the wad and delete the zscript lump altogether.

The other ports that run the wad I think are ignoring the lump, so until something comes up and tries to break it I think its a good permanent fix.

Is this meant to actually be mbf compatible?  I ran it in dos mbf and it crashed out after about 15 seconds of gameplay.

40 minutes ago, invictius said:

Is this meant to actually be mbf compatible?  I ran it in dos mbf and it crashed out after about 15 seconds of gameplay.

Surprisingly I tried doing this too(also with Valiant and Ancient Aliens) a few months ago but it didn't work. I couldn't even get any of them to launch. I even made a thread about it back then:

You will find the answers there

Played through the first 3 episodes continuous.

Im finding ive really enjoyed the finale missions for each episode.

But I was playing them on PRB+ and didnt know they were episodic at first, so I was doing my usual tactic of reserving Blue Armor and Soulsphere pickups for leaving the map to come in hitting hard on the next map rather than using them in the map. So there comes the surprise that its actually the finale map without knowing it and I lose the items. Its hard to know whether its actually a finale map you're on, or not. 

Some of the maps hit me alot harder than usual and I was surprised.

I always play on UV and occasionally update a savegame as I go along, but no scumming.

Its weird how rather straightforward maps can really throw me for a loop but I think part of it is me being lured into a false sense of security and doing gimmicky crap instead of going full bore.

(03/Drain, 08/Stench, 11/Wanderer)

13/Pathfinder was only difficult because I came in with 20 health and barely enough shots to kill the zombies. Also because of those astral cacos all over the damn place. Yknow I would have rather had a couple cyberdemons walking around the map if you dont mind, that was a very cheesy difficulty spike.

But ill shout out that 12/Brisk securely put on a belt and kicked my ass, that is a textbook definition of a hard map. Not the hardest, but its definitely in that category. So you should win an award for that Dragonfly. Also that soulsphere secret was mean, what an asshole, I probably went through almost 200 rounds getting that thing to work. And again its the damn astral caco, just like that one right there before you go in the front door, its just a very good place to put it somehow, I died like 5 times to that with the other crap going on out there.

05/demon I had trouble with the archvile showing up but as usual the plasma is the solution, which wouldn't have bothered me if id realized it was a finale map. I always hate to see those cells disappearing, im not a plasma streaming junkie like alot of players, I tend to keep mine down to 5-10 shot bursts because I hate overkilling with that gun. Also thank you very much for all the troopers, being able to go around with so much gibbing for the rocket launcher and get those perfect 10-strikes like a league game is always healthy for the soul. Same deal with 07/Facilitate for that matter.

Spoiler

10/Creation I exercised cheese immediately because I noticed how that one crate the imp was on is so close to the wall separating the first two areas. And much to my surprise, and delight, I was able to get on that wall and wasnt cockblocked with an invisible wall for trying to do so. Somehow I actually did this on my first try, I had issues with it a couple other times as I died unceremoniously a few times. The second cheese is by the spider because you can step on the switch pad and step back quickly and triggers the chaingunners to teleport in, but without trapping you behind the bars. And in the third area im not so sure if this is a cheese... but because the pistol fires so rapidly and has perfect accuracy its very easy to eliminate the pain elemental and the lost souls that come out of the control room, as there isnt hardly anything that gets in that courtyard with the fountain. 

The biggest shout out I need to give is for Map 15 and especially its MUSIC.

This felt like a hot injection of Castlevania and I wanted to throw knives.

The music was so wistful I recorded a copy of it in fluidsynth to listen on loop as an mp3.

I got killed a couple times in the yellow key area because I didnt know those caves were conveyors, also with so much slaughtermappy stuff going on there its very easy to lose track of the revenant fireballs because at a distance they look red just like all the cacos. I cheated to go back in there afterwards and get stuff I failed to pick up because I ran for it... I feel there should be a way to get back in that area if only to go kill the cyber.

Also - that option to go back for an immediate slaughterfest right as you're about to leave the map for the ice fields, I wasnt expecting that at all, and if anything thats about when I drained the BFG just to get out.

Spoiler

And yes I found the BFG secret instantly and was armed with that right away, but I credit that to the distinct lack of monsters in that wing of the castle. But its also because of the marvelous architecture and texturing that I noticed it, without being harassed and with doing alot of sightseeing I spotted it immediately. I wont say what else is in there, but yeah I managed to find That too later on.

Im not done obviously but ive done some skipping around to check out whats down the line.

Edited by RSSwizard

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself and have taken the time to do a little writeup! Some of the said 'cheese' strategies are intended (skipping the fence for an alternate way to play map10 for example, I intentionally ensured that wouldn't cause a softlock if a more adventurous player tried it out.)

Hopefully you find more enjoyment going forward; there should certainly be a few more rounds of ass-kicking in the maps to come! >:)

I don't know was it mentioned before, but i found some cheese in map22. After using switch on platform with energy cells, run to opening wall which will push out Cyberdemon. Since you are standing in his launching way, he get stuck.

etrn00.png

Just played a tiny bit, and I immediately noticed that you incorporated the DOOM Minor Sprite Fixing Project.

Thanks for that.

11 hours ago, dugan said:

Just played a tiny bit, and I immediately noticed that you incorporated the DOOM Minor Sprite Fixing Project.

Thanks for that.

Hate to burst your bubble here, but I actually didn't do that so can't take credit! :P

Perhaps you have it autoloaded on your source port of choice?

Finally i found out how to fix the sky on prboom. Excuse me if this was mentioned here allready. Anyway for those interested i didn't got lucky by pressing everything in game settings so i open glboom-plus.cfg and find "gl_skymode" and changed number 1 with 3 (0 will disable sky btw).

Spoiler

EY1nPrb.png

Hello guys.

I am trying to install eviternity and I do not get to run it. I download and unzip gzdoom 4.0, and I add the content of eviternity.zip. Then it does not detect the wad. If I rename the Eviternity.wad to doom2.wad, I get the message:

Missing menu texture: "M_SKULL1"
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
Execution could not continue.
R_InstallSprite: Sprite BSPI frame A is missing rotations

What am I doing wrong? I've been looking for a tutorial on google and youtube all morning and I can not find any ...
Thank you!

10 minutes ago, doomfrik said:

I am trying to install eviternity and I do not get to run it.

You will need the commercial doom2.wad as well as the eviternity.wad (or eviternity.zip) to play Eviternity. Eviternity is a patch wad to the commercial doom2 game. If you don't have doom2.wad then you'll have to buy it from somewhere, use an internet search to find some online purchase options.

30 minutes ago, doomfrik said:

Hello guys.

I am trying to install eviternity and I do not get to run it. I download and unzip gzdoom 4.0, and I add the content of eviternity.zip. Then it does not detect the wad. If I rename the Eviternity.wad to doom2.wad, I get the message:

Missing menu texture: "M_SKULL1"
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
Execution could not continue.
R_InstallSprite: Sprite BSPI frame A is missing rotations

What am I doing wrong? I've been looking for a tutorial on google and youtube all morning and I can not find any ...
Thank you!

I just booted mine up in GZDoom 4.0.0 and it actually crashed when i tried to play it. It seems to only work in Hardware Accelerated mode for me...unless i switch it mid game then it'll work in Software mode. Must be a bug or something. I'll have to check it again and report it. 

Anyway's, i have to ask the obvious question though. Do you actually have a copy of Doom 2 or FreeDoom Phase II? If not Eviternity won't work without either one of those in the same folder (at least i think it works with FreeDoom). There is no need to rename Eviternity to doom2.wad. Just drag Eviternity over GZDoom and it should work (after you have a copy of Doom II in the same folder that is).

Edited by CyberDreams : update

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I just booted mine up in GZDoom 4.0.0 and it actually crashed when i tried to play it. It seems to only work in Hardware Accelerated mode for me...unless i switch it mid game then it'll work in Software mode. Must be a bug or something. I'll have to check it again and report it. 

Anyway's, i have to ask the obvious question though. Do you actually have a copy of Doom 2 or FreeDoom Phase II? If not Eviternity won't work without either one of those in the same folder (at least i think it works with FreeDoom). There is no need to rename Eviternity to doom2.wad. Just drag Eviternity over GZDoom and it should work (after you have a copy of Doom II in the same folder that is).

I've already tried that. Running gzdoom, with the contents of doom2 and eviternity, the application opens informing of a 'very fatal error'.

Code: C0000005 (Access Violation - tried to read address 0000000000000000)
Address: 000007FEDA7CC191
Flags: 00000000
Windows NT 6.1 Build 7601 S

I run it on windows 10 64 bits, with integrated card Intel HD

With the parameter '-iwad Eviternity.wad' do not crashes, but the .wad don't load and the error of my previous post appears.

I have tried also previous versions of GZDoom, and other versions of doom, and does not work.

2 hours ago, doomfrik said:

With the parameter '-iwad Eviternity.wad' do not crashes, but the .wad don't load and the error of my previous post appears.

Well, Eviternity is not an IWAD, so that parameter won't do anything. Assuming both files are located in same folder as GZDoom, your command line should be:

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file eviternity.zip

(There's no need to unzip Eviternity, since ZDoom ports will read directly from zip files.)

Mine seems to crash as well. I get a crash report when i try to start an episode while in software mode in play GZDoom 4.0.0 It starts up fine but when i try to play an episode (i tried EP 1 on UV) it crashes. I'm on Win 7 Ult 64-bit. I was using software-mode. It seems to work fine in OpenGL (hardware-accelerated mode) though.

CrashReport.zip

No idea if i should post this crash report here or on zdoom's forums (i'm assuming the latter might be more helpful). Oh btw, i use ZDL to launch everything, if that matters. No mods used either.

15 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Well, Eviternity is not an IWAD, so that parameter won't do anything. Assuming both files are located in same folder as GZDoom, your command line should be:

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file eviternity.zip

(There's no need to unzip Eviternity, since ZDoom ports will read directly from zip files.)

With this command, opens but crashes... i think my default windows10-64 OpenGL32.dll version could be the cause... With another version gzdoom shows the message:

Unsupported OpenGL version.
At least OpenGL 3.3 is required to run GZDoom.
For older versions of OpenGL please download the vintage build of GZDoom.

Whats is the 'vintage' build of GZDoom? Zdoom?

39 minutes ago, doomfrik said:

With this command, opens but crashes... i think my default windows10-64 OpenGL32.dll version could be the cause... With another version gzdoom shows the message:

Unsupported OpenGL version.
At least OpenGL 3.3 is required to run GZDoom.
For older versions of OpenGL please download the vintage build of GZDoom.

Whats is the 'vintage' build of GZDoom? Zdoom?

With ZDoom 2.8.1 it works!!! :::)))))

23 hours ago, tmorrow said:

You will need the commercial doom2.wad as well as the eviternity.wad (or eviternity.zip) to play Eviternity. Eviternity is a patch wad to the commercial doom2 game. If you don't have doom2.wad then you'll have to buy it from somewhere, use an internet search to find some online purchase options.

You can also use Freedoom Phase 2, it's a freeware replacement for doom2.wad. However, it won't look the same since all Doom II assets have been replaced, i.e. items, monsters, textures etc. Considering what a full Doom bundle still costs these days, just invest a few bucks and own these amazing pieces of videogame history.

I'm not sure why Eviternity may be failing in the latest GZDoom. The latest build I've tested it in that I know works is GZDoom 3.7.2, so you don't need to downgrade too far.

12 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm not sure why Eviternity may be failing in the latest GZDoom. The latest build I've tested it in that I know works is GZDoom 3.7.2, so you don't need to downgrade too far.

I'm pretty sure it is not an Eviternity issue. It is an OpenGL issue with the latest GZDoom4.0.0 requiring at least OpenGL 3.3+ (for its framebuffer support). The recent GZDoom3.7.2 offered both a modern (OpenGL3.3+) build and a vintage (older OpenGL) build. However, as of GZDoom4.0.0 no vintage version is planned so those with GPU's that don't support OpenGL3.3+ will be stuck on GZDoom3.7.2 until they can upgrade to a GPU with the required OpenGL support.  With 74% of gaming rigs using Nvidia graphics cards with automatic OpenGL support, most people won't have any problems with the new GZDoom requirements.

If you start your GZDoom and examine the console output, you can see what OpenGL is being used. Here's the output on my system:

GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 425.31 (Core profile)
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 4.60 NVIDIA
GL_EXTENSIONS: <huge list ommitted>

If your GZDoom is crashing, you may be able to get more information by running it with the logfile option:

gzdoom.exe +logfile dumpfile.txt

then after it crashes you can look at the dumpfile.txt and see where it running into problems.

Apologies for running on, but hopefully this is helpful for GZDoom users having trouble with OpenGL.