Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

how do i add monsters with source code?

i want to add a chainsaw enemy to my upcoming expansion pack, THE POWER LEVELS FOR DOOM 2, that has the same health as the pinky, attacks three times as fast, but deals less damage. what is the basic syntax for doing so? (note: i'm using source code because it is compatible with dosbox.)

5 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

because i don't want to replace stuff. also, source code adds authenticity.

What???????????

It makes things needlessly complicated is what it does. Just replace actors like everybody else does. Do you really want to maintain your own fork of Doom? The fact that you're even asking how to do this screams that maybe it's not a great idea.

If you edit the source code, it means people will only be able to play the wad on your personal source port, which is going to disinterest basically the entire community.

Your enthusiasm is great, but you might want to re-think this.

Just now, R4L said:

What???????????

It makes things needlessly complicated is what it does. Just replace actors like everybody else does. Do you really want to maintain your own fork of Doom?

yes. i refuse to be lazy in making an expansion. i REFUSE to replace actors. i want to add MORE!

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

If you edit the source code, it means people will only be able to play the wad on your personal source port, which isn't really going to attract a big audience.

Your enthusiasm is great, but you might want to re-think this.

would is be easy to just provide a link to said source port once the mod is finished?

Just now, memes4lyfe said:

would is be easy to just provide a link to said source port once the mod is finished?

Not really no. For one, which source port are you going to fork? If you're going for the original source code, that doesn't even really run on modern PCs, so very few people will play it at all. The closest is Chocolate Doom, but even that is pretty niche. You could pick PRBoom+, GZDoom, Eternity or one of the other modern ports, but even then you're alienating everyone who doesn't play on those ports.

Plus, a lot of people won't want to have to download an entire new source port, set it up, define their controls and graphics and file locations and everything just to play a single wad, especially if the only thing it does differently is add a handful of new enemies or weapons. 

Your desire to make your wad DosBox compatible is commendable, but it does rather limit what you can do with it. 

in that case, my wad is for HARDCORE MS-DOS SUPER FANS!

but really, gust give me the basic syntax for an enemy please. that's what this thread is for.

but really, gust give me the basic syntax for an enemy please. that's what this thread is for.

"Do the work for me please."

The source is readily available. Look it up.

Ok, if that's what you want to make, all power to you!

However, few people here will be able to answer your question as editing the source code isn't something often done. Your best bet is to just find it yourself. 

Also, for future reference, threads like this should go in the Editing Questions subforum, not Wads and Mods.

Here is the enemy behavior code in Chocolate Doom, if I am not mistaken (If it's not, someone please correct me): https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/blob/82ff0b70095060015274ae80c8dd66bb55011c26/src/doom/info.c#L127

There is Pinky somewhere.

If you want to make a Doom fork for MS-DOS, you will have to get MS-DOS-compatible source code, patch it, and compile. All this by yourself. It is a big task.

Just now, Bauul said:

Ok, if that's what you want to make, all power to you!

However, few people here will be able to answer your question as editing the source code isn't something often done. Your best bet is to just find it yourself. 

Also, for future reference, threads like this should go in the Editing Questions subforum, not Wads and Mods.

oh.

26 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Not really no. For one, which source port are you going to fork? If you're going for the original source code, that doesn't even really run on modern PCs, so very few people will play it at all.

Let alone that there's not really any known code + libraries + compiler path that will give you a modified DOOM.EXE "the way ID did", you'd have to start with the linuxdoom v1.10 code as a base, the very least, or better yet, with a specific, established source port. Especially if he doesn't want to deal with compilers at all, the best way remains DEHACKED. And, if he really wants to ADD MONSTERS and NOT REPLACE ANYTHING, then scripting with a port that supports it AND is still used by actual humans is mandatory. That pretty much leaves ZDoom and maybe Doomsday and their derivatives on the table.

Edit: FWIW, the closest thing to a recently maintained, compile-able, relatively well-documented, DOS-based DOOM source port that's close enough to the original Doom and yet "better" would be, perversely, Carlos's CDoom or "Robocop Doom". Good luck with that.

Edited by Maes

DEHACKED can indeed add monsters, but you need to replace something, anything will work, be it decoration, a pickup or an enemy. There's tons of useless decoration so you can get a custom monster slot for free. If you can give me a complete list of the monsters you want to add, i can make a DEHACKED patch + sprite WAD with these monsters.

What you want to do could easily be done in DECORATE for ZDoom-based ports.  I could make the monster you describe using DECORATE in under an hour, and I would be happy to do it for you (basically editing a chainsaw zombie that somebody else has already made, and crediting the source, of course).

On 3/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, Empyre said:

What you want to do could easily be done in DECORATE for ZDoom-based ports.  I could make the monster you describe using DECORATE in under an hour, and I would be happy to do it for you (basically editing a chainsaw zombie that somebody else has already made, and crediting the source, of course).

I think you don't get it, apparently it HAS to be DOS-compatible or he won't do it.

9 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

I think you don't get it, apparently it HAS to be DOS-compatible or he won't do it.

Good luck with that. I recall that DW -before switching over to the new forum software at least- did maintain a Source Ports section somewhere. It was already terribly outdated by the time I joined (2007) but it did mention some interesting, obscure ports, including several DOS-only ones. And regarding DOS, as the cDoom thread above explains, there aren't really many paths one could take. Essentially early Boom, MBF, maybe early EE?

Edit: well, apparently it still exists, only that it's not so easily accessible anymore:

https://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/?platform=1

Quite a lot of DOS ports actually, but no idea how many of them came with source code. Still quite outdated as whole (e.g. latest ZDoom is claimed to be 2.7.1 and link still works).

If you want to limit yourself to vanilla, then you have to live within that limitation, and not try to turn vanilla into ZDoom.  If you want it to be like ZDoom, use ZDoom.  Then, you can also have slopes, 3D floors, and more.  I switched to using UDMF and ACS and DECORATE, and the PK3 file format a couple years ago, and I am loving it.  There is so much I can do, and it is still much easier than those brush-based engines.

21 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

it's for the purists. i guess i can replace SOME things. maybe the specter with a chainsaw trooper. and a decoration with a super chaingun.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:19 PM, memes4lyfe said:

it's for the purists. i guess i can replace SOME things. maybe the specter with a chainsaw trooper. and a decoration with a super chaingun.

Only monsters can replace anything, but weapons need to replace weapons. I already made a DEHACKED patch that includes 3 new monsters, a Plasma marine, Rocket launcher marine and a Chainsaw marine, do you want those?

i will have the chainsaw marine, but exactly like the pinky, but attacks more often and has less damage. it can replace the specter. as well as a super chaingun that the spider mastermind uses. but has three barrels, shoots 3 pellets in a VERY tight spread, and has the shotgun firing sound. hopefully that's not too much to ask...

don't worry. i'll credit you.

2 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

just give me the code for a pinky, so i can copy-paste it and change the attack rate and damage value.

Your manners leave a lot to be desired.

1 hour ago, memes4lyfe said:

it's for the purists.

The "Purists" that u refer to are not what u think. The doom purists are more concerned about vanilla gameplay/monster behaviour/demo-compatibility rather than using DOS executable. Basically most people are "purists" when it comes to gameplay, not when it comes to using DOS exe

Most purists would prefer playing vanilla on PrBoom+ or Eternity rather than playing a mod meant for only for DOS executable.

Example: A thread recently made by Fabian (who I refer as a purist)

3 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

i refuse to be lazy in making an expansion.

If anything, software development is all about being as lazy as possible. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

34 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

sorry for that.

If i've learnt anything from this forum, its that you aren't really sorry. Using the source code to change things needlessly complicates things, and will force people to use your own source port, all of which has been said above. its better off using DEHACKED.

Also, you claim you are making a wad for 'purists' but you are adding tons of custom monsters, and monsters that for the most part seem to be grossly unbalanced. What you are attempting to do will not appeal to the purists, and I cant tell you who it'll appeal to either.

But I do wish you luck in your work

I wonder if hes talking about Decorate / Zscript, as those will allow one to Replace, add, create or remove things form the game.
if you really want to go nuts with more content with existing user made levels there is always a random spawner replaces X monster like alot of gameplay mods out there.

However, This will remove accessibility to Vanilla / Boom source ports, and will exclude Zandronum if you go the ZScript route.