Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Final Doom The Way id Did

I finished my TNT map, almost, this is beta 1 with no difficulty settings yet.

Name is Reality Scar (is it correct english ?) episode 2 (currently map14), my own '96 style.

Beatable on pistol start without finding secrets.

Does it look like something made in '96 and which could be accepted into the original TNT.wad ? Is it fun map? What would you change?

Edit: had to reupload the map, forgot to save change to slot map14.

RealityScarB1.7z

Edited by Sokoro : wrong file..

On 2/17/2019 at 11:34 PM, DukeOfDoom said:

I guess I am closer to Dario in terms of grid (8 pixel grid mostly used). I am already working on my map.

I don't think you understand this project. You don't make a map and then decide who's style it is because it matches your style more closely, you decide which author you're going to imitate THEN you make the map. I didn't feel like your map looked or played like something Dario (or Milo for that matter) would make. While I think there's some things in that map you can work with, you're probably best off starting a map from scratch if you want to have something for Plutonia.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, Sokoro said:

I finished my TNT map, almost, this is beta 1 with no difficulty settings yet.

Name is Reality Scar (is it correct english ?) episode 2 (currently map14), my own '96 style.

Beatable on pistol start without finding secrets.

Does it look like something made in '96 and which could be accepted into the original TNT.wad ? Is it fun map? What would you change?

Played through this tonight, and here's my thoughts:

At first, I loved the map. Thematically, it fits perfectly into TNT, it has the feel of a 96 map, and it had some weird TNT quirkiness (I’ll get back to this later). My only quip at first was that I was dealing with a lot of strong enemies but hadn’t found a SSG, which from what I could tell there’s only one, and it was quite a ways into the map. But as I got further through the map, my feelings started change.

The map was big, and it took a LONG time to get through, but I wouldn’t say it’s too big for TNT, It’s smaller than Mount Pain (even excluding the large unreachable area of the latter). I think a major factor of what made it feel so long was that ammo (and health) was scarce, from beginning to end. Perhaps there were some secret ammo caches I missed. Which was one of the factors which made the spider mastermind battle rough (The revenents being the other). After which I was pretty much out of ammo, but luckily I was nearly done at that point anyways. (I thought it was necessary to go through the door behind the mastermind, but in hindsight, I don’t think it was, so I suppose I could have skipped that fight.)

Back to the quirkiness I mentioned earlier. Unnecessarily tall lifts, the Romero room, long and stupidly narrow hallways, stairs that go nowhere, a hidden broken teleporter, a key door with nothing (useful) behind it, and plenty more. I am all for people including some oddities in their own ‘96 style maps, I did this myself. However, I think there’s a line between including some TNT tropes in your map, and making what is essentially a broken level “because TNT”, and I think you crossed it. Perhaps I misinterpreted your map’s unfinished/beta status as an attempt to be quirky (because if this weren’t being submitted to a project trying to emulate a quirky mapset, I would have assumed it was just an unfinished/poorly polished), but most of these things felt intentional. It felt like there were a few homages to TNT levels, which isn’t allowed per the project’s rules. Also to top it off unless there’s more than one exit, the only exit is a type 11 floor, which I don’t think should any level* should have.

Now, let me end off by saying that I think this map is fantastic, but I don't think it would belong in the finished project in its current state. I really liked the flow, structure, and appearance of the map, and I think its strong points are really strong. Lower the usage of TNT quirks, remove homages, and maybe some rebalancing is all this level needs to be a perfect fit for TNT. This may not be necessary (assuming there's enough ammo, with secrets, to reasonably 100% this from a pistol start), as players would presumably have a fair amount of ammo coming into this map, and I know I wasted plenty on enemies that could have been skipped. Some more health would be great, and some more ammo here and there probably wouldn’t hurt.

*It makes sense in E1M8, and kind of works in Hunted, since there’s obviously two exits.

2 hours ago, dpstatic said:

I don't think you understand this project. You don't make a map and then decide who's style it is because it matches your style more closely, you decide which author you're going to imitate THEN you make the map. I didn't feel like your map looked or played like something Dario (or Milo for that matter) would make. While I think there's some things in that map you can work with, you're probably best off starting a map from scratch if you want to have something for Plutonia.

I started working on a new map from scratch yesterday. I'll try to make it Milo style.

BTW, what about my redone Injustice map?

7 hours ago, dpstatic said:

Played through this tonight, and here's my thoughts:

At first, I loved the map. Thematically, it fits perfectly into TNT, it has the feel of a 96 map, and it had some weird TNT quirkiness (I’ll get back to this later). My only quip at first was that I was dealing with a lot of strong enemies but hadn’t found a SSG, which from what I could tell there’s only one, and it was quite a ways into the map. But as I got further through the map, my feelings started change.

Yes, SSG is in later half of the map, in an out of a way room, but it is not in secret. It is in that second *fake* flashback to starting area of the map.

I might add another SSG on lower difficulties, or just move this one someplace else.

The map was big, and it took a LONG time to get through, but I wouldn’t say it’s too big for TNT, It’s smaller than Mount Pain (even excluding the large unreachable area of the latter). I think a major factor of what made it feel so long was that ammo (and health) was scarce, from beginning to end. Perhaps there were some secret ammo caches I missed. Which was one of the factors which made the spider mastermind battle rough (The revenents being the other). After which I was pretty much out of ammo, but luckily I was nearly done at that point anyways. (I thought it was necessary to go through the door behind the mastermind, but in hindsight, I don’t think it was, so I suppose I could have skipped that fight.)

There is one secret with ammo, it is bit tricky and it has one big cell pack. Other secrets are megasphere, soulsphere and berserk pack. The Romero texture is secret too but it has only one health bonus, I think I should change it so that it is not secret sector but just some easter egg. I will balance the ammo, you are right.

You have to go through the door behind spider mastermind, there are some lifts in other half of the cave, but they are disabled in second visit of that area, can be activated when you cross certain linedef at later time.

Back to the quirkiness I mentioned earlier. Unnecessarily tall lifts, the Romero room, long and stupidly narrow hallways, stairs that go nowhere, a hidden broken teleporter, a key door with nothing (useful) behind it, and plenty more. I am all for people including some oddities in their own ‘96 style maps, I did this myself. However, I think there’s a line between including some TNT tropes in your map, and making what is essentially a broken level “because TNT”, and I think you crossed it. Perhaps I misinterpreted your map’s unfinished/beta status as an attempt to be quirky (because if this weren’t being submitted to a project trying to emulate a quirky mapset, I would have assumed it was just an unfinished/poorly polished), but most of these things felt intentional. It felt like there were a few homages to TNT levels, which isn’t allowed per the project’s rules. Also to top it off unless there’s more than one exit, the only exit is a type 11 floor, which I don’t think should any level* should have.

The idea behind map is that, as you progress, you get constantly lower, stairs, lifts, some fall, another fall, lift and stairs.

I agree the lifts are too tall, I will change them to be shorter, should not be much work.

I somehow love the romero room, I will try to change it so that it is more useful, place some rockets there.

Are you talking about that hallway that leads to the romero room? or are there any other that seems to be overdoing it?

The stairs that go nowhere, I can think only about those stairs in second *flashback* room, well it is supposed to make the player think, that the teleporter malfunctioned and he got teleported into future, where the base is more infested by hell, so he takes the stairs up, to get outside of the base, but then he finds it blocked by marble and barons, so he gets back to *fake exit* and gets teleported back to present timeline.

Where is the hidden broken teleporter?

The blue key doors are somehow an optional gambling concept, one door does nothing, one punishes you with trap, one gives you armor bonuses with medkit and secret with megasphere.

The exit type11 is stupid, you are right, I will remove it and reduce some other quirks.

Now, let me end off by saying that I think this map is fantastic, but I don't think it would belong in the finished project in its current state. I really liked the flow, structure, and appearance of the map, and I think its strong points are really strong. Lower the usage of TNT quirks, remove homages, and maybe some rebalancing is all this level needs to be a perfect fit for TNT. This may not be necessary (assuming there's enough ammo, with secrets, to reasonably 100% this from a pistol start), as players would presumably have a fair amount of ammo coming into this map, and I know I wasted plenty on enemies that could have been skipped. Some more health would be great, and some more ammo here and there probably wouldn’t hurt.

*It makes sense in E1M8, and kind of works in Hunted, since there’s obviously two exits.

I did not intentionally place any homages, but I guess using *disaster area* texture as a door is too much like mount pain.

What other homages did you notice? I can fix the areas so that they look different.

Edited by Sokoro : bugs...

New version of my map (beta 2)

1. I changed *disaster area* so that the texture is just a wall and doors are wooden (to avoid making homage to mount pain)

2. I made several lifts shorter (first two by 600units and that broken one by 200 units)

3. I shortened some hallways and added second ssg to that one behind blue doors with barons as trap. (to give player a chance to get it earlier)

4. Placed some hp vials into that tiny cave connected to rocket launcher room, also made the cave a bit bigger. (to make it less useless)

5. Placed rockets onto lifts in that room with romero easter egg. romero easter egg is no longer official secret. (to make it less useless)

6. Added few more medkits and chaingun ammo into room with red key. (to make player more prepared for spider mastermind + revenants fight)

Also few more ammo clips and stimpack at the beginning.

7. I changed exit to normal w1 exit, instead of sector effect 11 exit. (because it was lame)

Questions:

1. Is megasphere making the game too easy for players who find this secret?

2. I plan to make another map for the project. on slot 32. Theme is going to be desert. There will be few egyptian ruins, but only tiny bit, mostly desert and caves and tech base. Is that original or too much like pharaoh?

Reality_Scar_B2.7z

Edited by Sokoro : forgot a thing

You certainly didn't waste any time in getting on that feedback.

14 hours ago, Sokoro said:

Yes, SSG is in later half of the map, in an out of a way room, but it is not in secret. It is in that second *fake* flashback to starting area of the map.

I might add another SSG on lower difficulties, or just move this one someplace else.

I don’t know if adding a second SSG was necessary, I haven’t played many TNT maps from a pistol start, but I feel like there’s probably a good handful that have strong monsters and SSG isn’t near the beginning of the map or even in it at all. Someone playing sequentially will more than likely have the SSG upon starting the map, and it adds to the challenge of pistol starting the map. It's your map, do what you want.

There is one secret with ammo, it is bit tricky and it has one big cell pack. Other secrets are megasphere, soulsphere and berserk pack.

The only one of those I found was the berserk pack, but most the enemies after that point weren't the easiest to melee.

You have to go through the door behind spider mastermind, there are some lifts in other half of the cave, but they are disabled in second visit of that area, can be activated when you cross certain linedef at later time.

Oh yeah, I remember that now. In that case an ammo rebalance was definitely needed. I didn't have enough ammo to deal with any of the revenants, as frustrating as it was it was admittedly fun trying to fight the mastermind while a bunch revenants were shooting at me.

I agree the lifts are too tall, I will change them to be shorter, should not be much work.

I somehow love the romero room, I will try to change it so that it is more useful, place some rockets there.

Are you talking about that hallway that leads to the romero room? or are there any other that seems to be overdoing it?

The stairs that go nowhere, I can think only about those stairs in second *flashback* room, well it is supposed to make the player think, that the teleporter malfunctioned and he got teleported into future, where the base is more infested by hell, so he takes the stairs up, to get outside of the base, but then he finds it blocked by marble and barons, so he gets back to *fake exit* and gets teleported back to present timeline.

Where is the hidden broken teleporter?

The blue key doors are somehow an optional gambling concept, one door does nothing, one punishes you with trap, one gives you armor bonuses with medkit and secret with megasphere.

The list of quirks I gave wasn’t a list of quirks I disliked, though I suppose it came off that way. I liked the really tall lifts, narrow hallways, and especially the Romero room. It’s just that there were a lot of quirks and it felt like the level that was trying to be quirky rather than a level that had quirks. Opening the blue key door only to find a wall behind it was baffling, and the stairs to nothing I was referring to was the little cave next to the rocket launcher. The teleporter without a destination (located in the cave system with the yellow key) felt more broken than a TNTism. I didn’t really pick up on the “gamble” concept of the blue keys doors. (Maybe others would though) The type 11 floor was sort the icing on the cake as far as being overly quirky went. The changes you already made sound like they're enough to deal with this issue of mine though.

I did not intentionally place any homages, but I guess using *disaster area* texture as a door is too much like mount pain.

What other homages did you notice? I can fix the areas so that they look different.

I wasn’t really sure, there were a few rooms that made me think of specific levels of TNT, but if they weren’t intentional homages, then I think it’s fine. However, one part felt like it was copying a TNT level, which is the part you call the “flashback” rooms. They felt a bit too much like Wormhole to not be considered an homage. If there truly wasn't any intention of copying Wormhole here, I guess I’d see how others feel about this part before you just go and take it out of your map.

9 hours ago, Sokoro said:

I shortened some hallways and added second ssg to that one behind blue doors with barons as trap. (to give player a chance to get it earlier)

Though I didn’t think it was necessary to add a second SSG, I do think giving the room/hallway some purpose is good rather than it being nothing but a trap that can be completely disregarded.

Placed rockets onto lifts in that room with romero easter egg. romero easter egg is no longer official secret. (to make it less useless)

I honestly liked it exactly how it was, it was a fun easter egg, and exactly the type of weird useless room that I would expect to find in TNT. Although I think having a single rocket on each lift would be even funnier.

1. Is megasphere making the game too easy for players who find this secret?

It would have been a really nice find when I played through it. I haven’t played your updated version yet, but assuming you didn’t just litter the map with health during rebalancin,. I don't think it'd make too easy, especially for someone trying to 100% the map.

2. I plan to make another map for the project. on slot 32. Theme is going to be desert. There will be few egyptian ruins, but only tiny bit, mostly desert and caves and tech base. Is that original or too much like pharaoh?

That sounds like it should be fine to me, but it’s not my call to make.

Edited by dpstatic

Did some testing, trying to UV max it. So I did another changes and bug fixes.

1. Replaced SSG in flashback room with box of rockets and some shells.

2. Fixed the first small lift, had S1 instead of SR.

3. Fixed obvious texture misalignment I made in b2.

4. Fixed the broken teleporter in secret. (brown caves)

5. Added shell pack and ammo pack behind computer in grey cave area.

6. Found problem with revenant teleporting to wrong place, but it is rare and *leave it in*

Also some automap nitpicks but *leave it in*

For some reason my chocolate doom act as if there would be 5secrets but the editor shows only 4 secret sectors (as it should be), not sure what to do with it.

Maybe it just did not register one of the secrets properly.

Reality_Scar_B3.7z

I am starting next map, which will take slot map32 and is imitating Christopher Buteau who made tnt.wad map22 Habitat and icarus.wad map01 Shuttlecraft.

Notes about Christopher Buteau usage of editor:

• He likes to use sector light 255 for outdoor areas and some lights, likes to use high contrast of lighting.
  • He loves monster closets and monsters teleporting into level, he likes to place monsters and even decorations in big groups (he even hides a player in closet icarus map01).
  • He likes to use gradual sector lighting a bit, and shadow cast a bit too in icarus. his light levels seems to be 255 and lot of powers of 16 (128, 144, 160 etc), but also some odd things like 120 and 170.
  • His lowest lighting level was 112 (30 in icarus but only after triggered event), his highest 255.
  • He likes naturaly looking outdoor areas but also symetric interiors (in icarus there is lot of symetry), also long hallways and bit of mazing concept too.
  • He uses bright textures like silver and bright green textures, both maps have a bit of satanic imaginery in them.
  • He is fan of ASHWALL textures and uses good deal of brown textures too.
  • He did not use any TNT custom textures, even crates are using UAC logo rather than tnt logo.
  • He did some layout effect made with lowering floors and other sector effects for some interesting machinery in both maps.
  • Sector heights seems to be random numbers 256, 191, 16, 32, 150
  • He likes curves and does not fear to use many vertices to create curved lines.
  • He used some liquid detail with linedefs to simulate liquid flowing on floor in both of the maps.
  • He likes to do details with gradual floor increase, or celling decrease, simulating slopes somehow.
  • There are several cases of fake walls in Habitat, one is even mandatory for intended progress through the level.  
  • Both maps use all three keys, shuttlecraft requires all of them in order to finish the level, while habitat is supposed to be finished with two, but can actually be beaten without any key.
  • He often uses walkover lines to trigger some geometry or gameplay events.
Edited by Sokoro : added few observations

On 2/23/2019 at 3:55 AM, DukeOfDoom said:

Just finished my Plutonia map.

Slot: MAP18.

Name: Trauma.

Style: Milo Casali.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jvPPjtaS9aSG92EWtr-01RxotWduGa2u

EDIT: Fixed some missing textures and added some health bonuses.

I didn't play your map, but simply opening it in an editor shows that it does not even come close to Milo's style. Firstly, nearly every linedef in the map is orthogonal, and the very few that aren't, are adjacent only to ones that are. It has been stated numerous times in this topic that Milo's architecture is filled with curves. Take a look at any Milo map, they're full of them, and your map has zero. Most of the combat in the map seems to come from pop-up traps. This is extremely predictable. The Casalis didn't just fill their maps with the same thing over and over, every map had variety and kept players on their toes. (Hunted (a Dario map) is the only exception I can think of, but the way the arch-viles move around the maze reduces predictability and builds tension.) You also have two boss monsters, which outside of the secret levels, the Casalis didn't do. You may say the fact that you can telefrag both of them makes up for that, but it doesn't because that's also something the Casalis never did, if they put a boss in their maps, you didn't get a cheap win. I'm not going to play this map because it's clear you did not take the time to study the style of the author you were imitating, or even make use of the observations that others have already made about his style. The project is not cutting off submissions anytime soon, so please take your time with this. Making a map in another author's style will take longer than making one in your own style.

18 hours ago, Sokoro said:

I am starting next map, which will take slot map32 and is imitating Christopher Buteau who made tnt.wad map22 Habitat and icarus.wad map01 Shuttlecraft.

Awesome! I was thinking of making a TNT map in the style of one of the authors who only did one or two maps. Christopher Buteau was one I was leaning toward, but I'll pick someone else for variety's sake. I'm leaning toward Robin Patenall right now.

On that note, there's a few TNT authors who only contributed one map to TNT, and as far as I can tell, don't have any other published maps to study their style from. Would there be any good way to approach imitating one of these authors, or would trying to redo their style with only one reference map inevitably just be a remake of that map?

Edited by dpstatic

2 hours ago, dpstatic said:

I didn't play your map, but simply opening it in an editor shows that it does not even come close to Milo's style. Firstly, nearly every linedef in the map is orthogonal, and the very few that aren't, are adjacent only to ones that are. It has been stated numerous times in this topic that Milo's architecture is filled with curves. Take a look at any Milo map, they're full of them, and your map has zero. Most of the combat in the map seems to come from pop-up traps. This is extremely predictable. The Casalis didn't just fill their maps with the same thing over and over, every map had variety and kept players on their toes. (Hunted (a Dario map) is the only exception I can think of, but the way the arch-viles move around the maze reduces predictability and builds tension.) You also have two boss monsters, which outside of the secret levels, the Casalis didn't do. You may say the fact that you can telefrag both of them makes up for that, but it doesn't because that's also something the Casalis never did, if they put a boss in their maps, you didn't get a cheap win. I'm not going to play this map because it's clear you did not take the time to study the style of the author you were imitating, or even make use of the observations that others have already made about his style. The project is not cutting off submissions anytime soon, so please take your time with this. Making a map in another author's style will take longer than making one in your own style.

Okay, I will try to improve this, but please stop being such a jerk.

There was nothing rude about dpstatic's post, just honest suggestions and recommendations that I would have to agree with. If you're going to submit to this project, it's required that you take the time to properly study the style you are replicating. Building a few boxes and calling it a Milo map simply won't cut it; it's not something he would do. Look through previous posts on the subject. Play their maps a lot, study them in the editor and look for trends, easily identifiable design tropes, quirks and oddities you see repeated, etc. Perhaps pick a D2TWID map to rip-off and do something new with the way the Casalis would do with Doom 2 maps. There's a lot you can do there, but it necessitates putting in a fair amount of work and practice of your chosen style.

Agreed with AD_79, this is a hard project to work on, if you really want one of your maps submitted, you have to really try to replicate what made Final Doom what it is, this does not mean copying, or creating some few rooms with Plutonia textures.
Nobody is being a jerk, but if you ask me, you kinda deserve it, since you cannot recieve proper feedback when you are submiting tons and tons of speed-maps to test your luck and see if someone gets accepted in the future, this is not a lottery, and is what actually makes a map soulless. Community feedback is the only thing you can recieve at this moment, since the project is on a stand-by, and you choose to treat criticism as being a jerk. 
At all honesty, you should recieve the proper feedback, take your time, and really care about making a good map, and I repeat, TAKE YOUR TIME, this is pretty important, since it would make you fail less at map making.
Taking your time to see what things maps from Plutonia or TNT had or which styles the authors had chosen, is also a good idea, and not only on the aesthetic department, monster placement is even more important. Cramping little rooms with many monsters is not what Final Doom did to have its characteristic difficulty.

Have you ever played my map? Viewing it in editor is not enough.

I'm a bit confused about the fact that you are pointing out only negative aspects of the map, but not a single positive one.

Okay, I am starting to get jerky myself, so thanks for criticism anyways.

EDIT: I re-uploaded my map Injustice for TNT and fixed many bugs.

EDIT 2: So, is my Trauma map beyond any salvation? Or I can make it better?

Edited by DukeOfDoom

2 hours ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Style: Myself.

I'm sorry, but the goal of the project is to emulate one of the original authors' style, not to use your own style. The goal of all the "the way id did"-megaWADs is emulation of all the originals.

3 hours ago, Malefication said:

I'm sorry, but the goal of the project is to emulate one of the original authors' style, not to use your own style. The goal of all the "the way id did"-megaWADs is emulation of all the originals.

In regards to the TNT mapset, you can do a map in your style, and it can be accepted as long as your map feels like playing TNT, that's why there are more TNT maps than Plutonia ones, since it is by standards, easier to create maps.

6 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

In regards to the TNT mapset, you can do a map in your style, and it can be accepted as long as your map feels like playing TNT, that's why there are more TNT maps than Plutonia ones, since it is by standards, easier to create maps.

Oh, fair enough. My bad, then.

14 hours ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Okay, I've made a map for TNT.

Slot: MAP14 (but you can place it somewhere else on Episode 2).

Name: Six Feet Under.

Style: Myself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a6Z-1BKXlTUz4ELzMwKjqGt4wYOwVeqb

Well, with regards to this map anyways. I can't comment much on how TNT-like it is, but I found some issues. Firstly, the shotgunner hideouts on the way down in the start don't block you nor monsters, so you can enter and pick up their shorguns if they're quick enough. On my first playthrough, the second one exited his room so I got his shotgun for free.

Secondly, there are some texture issues in the main room, if you look towards where you enter. At least on my end. In DB2, I saw the textures are supposed to be TNTDOOR, but they don't seem to exist for me. Not sure what that is about.

Thirdly, you can (and will) get permanently locked in as far as I can tell. In the room to the left with two box-pillars, when the revenant that teleports to the previous room enters this room, the door seems to close behind him, despite it being tagged as open and stay. Doesn't happen when I play with no monsters. The blue key room will also shut you in with no ability to open the door from the inside. I had to noclip my way out of both these rooms.

Played all of this with GZDoom.

3 hours ago, Malefication said:

Secondly, there are some texture issues in the main room, if you look towards where you enter. At least on my end. In DB2, I saw the textures are supposed to be TNTDOOR, but they don't seem to exist for me. Not sure what that is about.

That's because you don't have TNT wad. That's understandable because Hell on Earth and Evilution share the same wad. I personally renamed TNT's wad to TNT.wad to make it easier. I will take care of the other problems.

@DukeOfDoom Your enthusiasm is appreciated, however this is the third map you've submitted in your own style, and this just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this project.

On 2/19/2014 at 6:21 PM, Tarnsman said:

With TNT you have two choices. Either 1. You may attempt to emulate a map in the style of an existing TNT mapper OR someone who either did work with TNT or possibly could have worked with TNT (Jim Flynn, Dr. Sleep, anyone who contributed to the Master Levels). 2. You may attempt to make a map in YOUR OWN style but adjusted to 96 levels (pretend you have a shitty editor that means you can't detail every room or use 3D mode) as TNT has several authors who only ever made one map. You map must look like it could realistically be in TNT if you go this route

While the rules don't directly forbid you from submitting countless maps in your own style for TNT, I think there was an implication here that each person only submit one, maybe two, maps in there own style to TNT. Tarnsman or any of the other project maintainers may correct me if I'm wrong here.

It seems to me like you are submitting maps just so you can have something you made included in the project. If that's the case, then I suggest you find another project where making a bunch of speed-maps is encouraged, or even better, create your own project with your own set of rules.

If you truly want to contribute to this specific project, then you need to TAKE THE TIME to learn the mapping style of other authors, and learn how to recreate their styles. And when people give you feedback/criticism/advice, take it, instead of ignoring it and trying to find a work-around to get your maps into the project without effort on your part.

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm saying this because I think it needs to be said. And because it is a waste of your and other people's time for you to make and submit a bunch of maps and ask people to play them when you are not putting in the necessary effort into your maps that the project demands.

So what specific flaws do my maps have?

EDIT: When it comes to TNT, I do NOT use style of other people besides myself. And I don't know the limit of "your own style" TNT maps.

Also, you aren't the only user on this forum. I want to hear the opinions of others.

Edited by DukeOfDoom

15 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Might want to change the map name cuz that's already been taken before: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/E2M1:_Io_Anomaly_(The_Lost_Episodes_of_Doom)

Okay then.

EDIT: Done.

EDIT: Okay, I am outta here. I realised that I should make something of my own style rather than trying to adjust to strict projects.

I am very sorry.

I might come back here when I learn the styles of Casalis and others.

Edited by DukeOfDoom

Okay, I studied Milo's maps and decided to give one more shot.

This is only a small part of my new map. I decided to take screenshots of stages of the map development so you could give me some advises. Am I on the right path right now?

(Sorry for the size)

image.png.446aeea1f7770a31a4473bd0056b2f0f.png

38 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Okay, I studied Milo's maps and decided to give one more shot.

This is only a small part of my new map. I decided to take screenshots of stages of the map development so you could give me some advises. Am I on the right path right now?

(Sorry for the size)

No, far from it D: The Casalis rarely did freeform and often mapped structurally and symmetrically even at times. I strongly recommend you join a different community project where you try making the best map/s you can and work on your skills. This project is actually really difficult to do, even for seasoned mappers that have been mapping for a long time.

7 hours ago, Joshy said:

No, far from it D: The Casalis rarely did freeform and often mapped structurally and symmetrically even at times. I strongly recommend you join a different community project where you try making the best map/s you can and work on your skills. This project is actually really difficult to do, even for seasoned mappers that have been mapping for a long time.

You're right. I will probably make my own map pack then.