Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexo

I finished Doom GBA in 9 Minutes!

Crazy shit.

I know you say you've retired, but I'd personally love to see a GDQ couch run of this; presuming it would be possible on a Gameboy Player or whatever? :)

I would love to show this at GDQ one day, I submitted for 2018, but PC Doom and Doom II were chosen. I'll keep submitting it in hopes its picked up one day, possibly nightmare instead of any%. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Good work, real impressive run! A lot of this looks super technical, getting back in-bounds looks especially finicky.

Great run! But I gotta be honest that I'm not a fan of the presentation with that music playing. Any way to watch this without the music and the game sound instead?

7 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

Great run! But I gotta be honest that I'm not a fan of the presentation with that music playing. Any way to watch this without the music and the game sound instead?

You can see the Raw here, but the sound is pretty bad. Had audio drivers messing up after I switched from speakers to microphone playback (OBS sucks if you switch drivers while it is brodcasting)

2 hours ago, Alexo said:

You can see the Raw here, but the sound is pretty bad. Had audio drivers messing up after I switched from speakers to microphone playback (OBS sucks if you switch drivers while it is brodcasting)

Thanks! I must say I am very impressed with the whole run! If someone had told me you could finish Doom in less than 10 minutes I'd laugh at their faces. Now I know it's actually possible, at least in the GBA. Great work!

Wow the amount of out of bounds tricks in that run was insanely awesome! Congratulations on achieving that under 10 minutes world record on Doom GBA! 

This is so impressive, well done! Watching you break this port to hell and back though - It's like watching a Duke3D speedrun, lol!

On 1/26/2019 at 9:35 PM, CoTeCiO said:

If someone had told me you could finish Doom in less than 10 minutes I'd laugh at their faces. Now I know it's actually possible, at least in the GBA. Great work!

This was literally my goal, break into a territory that just sounds impossible :P

On 1/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, silentzorah said:

Cool.  Now do it on UV.

UV was renamed to NM, true NM was removed all together.  My Goal is 18-17, but PC WR time is 15:4X range for E1-E3. Large disadvantage also, more enemies = higher lag. In some instances, too many enemies can prevent OOB (House of Pain Ending) , so I'm not sure if the UV times could match without more things being discovered, or rerouted entirely.

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

This is so impressive, well done! Watching you break this port to hell and back though - It's like watching a Duke3D speedrun, lol!

Mamba for Doom GBA 2020 xD
Duke 3D is another difficult one, I'm a console version pleb and would need to study a lot of new tech to get anywhere with that one.
Luckily with Doom 1, I have played PC/XBOX/GBA for many years, and have the maps and patterns memorized... lol

Congratulations, a badass run. I played GBA doom when younger because big brother hogged the computer and I had no access to PC Doom back then so it was nice to see this run.

Any% March Update.

I've returned to real hardware in attempts for Sub 10 on an actual Game Boy Cartridge!
Emulation has proven to cut .17 frames every second for loads, adding up to 11-20 seconds of time saved, over a whole run on emulation versus real hardware.

The 9:40 Has 12 points of being stuck on walls returning into a level.

Each time getting stuck returning into a level, equates to an average of 3 seconds lost for each attempt.

My current personal Best on real hardware is 10:44, with 14 stucks while returning into a level.

1 stuck = 3 seconds
12 stucks = 36 seconds of potential save on emulation remaining, perhaps more with perfect levels and enemies.
14 stucks = 42 Seconds of potential save on real hardware, pointing towards a sub 10 game with perfect returns on every level, best route, and good enemies.

Real Hardware personal best Any% 10:44

Second 10 on a real cart, first was 10:55. Level 22 is the worst. Bad Level 5, 7, and 22. I'm looking for consistent visual set ups for 1/3 chances or higher for each returning glide. Every little movement is being examined now for any improvements on real hardware.

The 9 on cartridge will really push the run to the limits, but considering 9:40 EMU had a bad E2M1 (Can save 15 seconds with best route on that level alone), and time loss in other levels... I honestly believe real hardware can match it with the best possible levels and strategies on all 23 maps.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, Maha said:

Congratulations, a badass run. I played GBA doom when younger because big brother hogged the computer and I had no access to PC Doom back then so it was nice to see this run.

This is all I had before Xbox or PC versions, so its a joy to be the one breaking it wide open. Thanks for checking it out, GBA forever \m/

Nightmare improvements.

NM is actually UV renamed, True NM was removed.
Currently on emulation, it has matched Zeromaster's personal best E1-E3 on PC, which is 15:46! The current best PC time is 15:21 by Dime, which I will be attempting to match on ONLY REAL CARTRIDGE from this point forward. 

On real hardware, 17 has been achieved thus far, but sub 16 to mid 15 is very possible with best enemies and wall clips returning into levels. But Nightmare is still highly un-optimized compared to any%, things could still be discovered in the months/years to come.

I'm Streaming every 3 or 4 days now, late nights with GBA Doom here in the US. Hope you guys have enjoyed the runs as much as I've enjoyed breaking this version!

Emu NM PB 15:45

Tutorial for Any%.
I've finally compiled a full 3 episode guide for speedrunning the full game with these strategies. 30 minutes for each episode of the game, covering each level in depth with multiple attempts (with input display for example), explanations of lag reductions, and advantages. Everything you would need to get started playing the game this way. I have these unlisted on youtube at the moment, as I'll be making improvements in the future before having public. The game has been evolving all the time, and I'd like to have a full, final master tutorial for public use in a wide release later. New set ups for consistent wall glides are still being finalized at the moment. However, I wanted these available for anyone who is looking to start the game, before the tutorial is 100% finished.

Edited by Alexo : Fixed links, included tutorial. and other updates.