Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starkiller

Doom and Quake weapons: Which are better?

I've been playing Quake much, with greater enjoyment than I used to. Compared to Doom, Quake just has really useful weapons. All of them serve a purpose, and none are redundant. I honestly cannot think of any criticism for them. The shotgun, is a pretty decent ranged gun, and good for a basic weapon. Even the Axe has it's use for pressing buttons and finishing off weakened enemies. The nail gun is good for smaller enemies and encounters, the super nail gun is great when facing a Shambler or Vore, the grenade and rocket launcher are both great weapons and tools (rocket jumping), and the Thunderbolt is the ultimate answer to crowds of tougher monsters like Spawn and Vores. 

Doom's weapons are good, but they just feel less meaty than Quakes. 

What do you think? 

Quake's arsenal is honestly one of the reasons I have a hard time sinking into it, despite the epic atmosphere. My issues with them basically come down to: 

1) Lack of any real motion/ animation when using them. VERY basic recoil movement, and that too not much. Doom has far more visually appealing reactions to the act of pressing the fire button...

2) No hands on weapons. I've never liked the whole "floating gun" thing some FPS titles go for...

3) All the guns look almost identical. The shotgun barely looks like anything discernible at all. Same with the grenade launcher and rocket launcher. This is not helped by the issue mentioned in point#1. 

As far as a comparison between the two arsenals insofar as their purposes and all that, honestly I feel like they're more or less on par. The Quake guns are essentially equivalents to the Doom variants, with the exception of the grenade launcher and the fact that Doom (classic) has no jumping, so no rocket jumping. Barring that though... shotguns more or less do the same things between games, nailgun/ super nailgun are both similar to the chain gun, lightning gun is more or less a plasma gun equivalent, rocket launchers both shoot the same thing... 

Oh, and the part about the Thunderbolt being the thing to deal with crowds? Be that as it may...Doom has the BFG :D .

Quake's rocket launcher is definitely my favorite rocket launcher. it feels powerful, it sounds powerful, the rockets travel fast with a then-cool trail. Doom's rocket launcher is pretty good, but I don't find myself as attached to it. Beyond that I don't really find most of the quake weapons anything super special, but they have nice sounds and get the job done well in their own game.

34 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Quake's arsenal is honestly one of the reasons I have a hard time sinking into it, despite the epic atmosphere. My issues with them basically come down to: 

1) Lack of any real motion/ animation when using them. VERY basic recoil movement, and that too not much. Doom has far more visually appealing reactions to the act of pressing the fire button...

2) No hands on weapons. I've never liked the whole "floating gun" thing some FPS titles go for...

3) All the guns look almost identical. The shotgun barely looks like anything discernible at all. Same with the grenade launcher and rocket launcher. This is not helped by the issue mentioned in point#1. 

As far as a comparison between the two arsenals insofar as their purposes and all that, honestly I feel like they're more or less on par. The Quake guns are essentially equivalents to the Doom variants, with the exception of the grenade launcher and the fact that Doom (classic) has no jumping, so no rocket jumping. Barring that though... shotguns more or less do the same things between games, nailgun/ super nailgun are both similar to the chain gun, lightning gun is more or less a plasma gun equivalent, rocket launchers both shoot the same thing... 

Oh, and the part about the Thunderbolt being the thing to deal with crowds? Be that as it may...Doom has the BFG :D .

I suppose we see different on Quake's arsenal. I do agree it could've been improved on some, the animations for example could have more than just swaying and flaring as you fire them, and more emphasis on sound. Quake 1's shotgun sounds meh, even though it should sound more meatier, and the axe could've used a fleshy sound when you start hacking at a lone grunt, but I suppose modifications can fix that. 

I do agree with the no hands on weapons. It feels odd to have a hovering shotgun with no hand on the pump. I disagree on the weapons looking identical. Quake just has that varied feel on some rough 3D texturing and different sound effects, although that's probably just me. 

Doom's BFG certainly cleans crowd's effectively, but Quake's Thunderbolt still has that feel, although relying more on using other weapons. With the BFG, you can just fire away and watch things explode, but the Thunderbolt can just drop Shamblers in just two seconds, providing you have enough ammo. 

35 minutes ago, SaladBadger said:

Quake's rocket launcher is definitely my favorite rocket launcher. it feels powerful, it sounds powerful, the rockets travel fast with a then-cool trail. Doom's rocket launcher is pretty good, but I don't find myself as attached to it. Beyond that I don't really find most of the quake weapons anything super special, but they have nice sounds and get the job done well in their own game.

The Rocket Launcher is great. Rocket jumping in Quake's levels never felt so gratifying. It helps that the level design is well done. You can breeze through levels such as E1M5 Gloom Keep and E1M6 Door to Chton in under a few minutes. 

Eh, I'd say no. The normal nailgun is good for not going through nails ridiculously fast like the super nailgun, and is suited for smaller enemies like the Ogre or a bunch of Grunts. The super is favored for the heavier enemies like the Fiend, Vore, and Shambler. 

Same with the grenade launcher; it's good for zombies and killing Fiends and Spawn. Rocket Launcher, again, the heavier version, useful for distant shots. 

5 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Doom's weapons are good, but they just feel less meaty than Quakes. 

What do you think? 

100% the opposite of you, basically.  IMO, Quake's only meaty weapon is the rocket launcher.

57 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

And don't forget how the weapons in Quake instantly switch, no lowering/raising

One of best gameplay features Quake has, imo. Keeps the action moving. 

36 minutes ago, Capellan said:

100% the opposite of you, basically.  IMO, Quake's only meaty weapon is the rocket launcher.

Really? The rocket launcher feels meaty, but I feel the nail guns, super shotgun, and thunderbolt feel satisfying to use. Guess we just have preferences on how we look at gunplay. Thinking about it now, Doom has good weapons, just some more redundant than Quakes imo (Fist is useless unless berserk, chainsaw is decent until you find a berserk pack, pistol only fares against small enemies and is never used once you grab the chaingun, and Plasma Gun shares BFG ammo, making it a 'take it or leave it' type of weapon).

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

Eh, I'd say no. The normal nailgun is good for not going through nails ridiculously fast like the super nailgun, and is suited for smaller enemies like the Ogre or a bunch of Grunts. The super is favored for the heavier enemies like the Fiend, Vore, and Shambler. 

Same with the grenade launcher; it's good for zombies and killing Fiends and Spawn. Rocket Launcher, again, the heavier version, useful for distant shots. 

There's never a reason not to fire them ridiculously fast though. You can just stop firing sooner if you're firing at a weaker enemy.

7 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

There's never a reason not to fire them ridiculously fast though. You can just stop firing sooner if you're firing at a weaker enemy.

My thoughts exactly :)

Just now, whirledtsar said:

You still waste valuable ammo, as every Super Nailgun nail costs 2 nails.

As for what i think, i never liked Quake, but the weapons are pretty cool, sound good and look okay.

My comparison of Doom and Quake weapons:

1) Melee weapons: Doom's berserk fist (and even chainsaw) is much more useful than Quake's axe. (Doom wins here)

2) Shotguns: Quake's shotgun has faster rate of fire but doom's shotgun does much more damage. Also doom's shotgun is more satisfying to use due to reloading animation. (Doom wins here)

3) Super Shotguns: Similar case to the shotguns. (Doom wins here)

4) Fast fire weapons: Doom's chaingun has slightly faster fire rate than Quake's nailgun but is less accurate, does less damage per shot and feels less satifying. (Quake wins here)

5) Super/powerful fast fire weapons: Doom's plasma gun does more damage per shot but Quake's Super Nailgun has a lot faster fire rate and feels more meaty. (Quake wins here)

6) Rocket/Explosive weapons: Quake has the best rocket launcher and Quake also has a grenade launcher which Doom doesn't. (Quake wins here)

7) Super/Special weapon: Quake has the lightning gun but it has nothing on Doom's BFG. (Doom wins here)

Overall I like Doom's weapons more, even if Quake's weapons are more balanced.

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Really? The rocket launcher feels meaty, but I feel the nail guns, super shotgun, and thunderbolt feel satisfying to use. 

The super nailgun is adequate.  Quake's SSG is awful and anemic and sounds like ass.  The thunderbolt is rubbish.

This is all IMO, though.  If you like them, that's perfectly legit.  I hate stealth games, for instance, but it doesn't make other people wrong to like them; it just means we have different tastes.

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

1) Melee weapons: Doom's berserk fist (and even chainsaw) is much more useful than Quake's axe. (Doom wins here)

2) Shotguns: Quake's shotgun has faster rate of fire but doom's shotgun does much more damage. Also doom's shotgun is more satisfying to use due to reloading animation. (Doom wins here)

3) Super Shotguns: Similar case to the shotguns. (Doom wins here)

4) Fast fire weapons: Doom's chaingun has slightly faster fire rate than Quake's nailgun but is less accurate, does less damage per shot and feels less satifying. (Quake wins here)

5) Super/powerful fast fire weapons: Doom's plasma gun does more damage per shot but Quake's Super Nailgun has a lot faster fire rate and feels more meaty. (Quake wins here)

6) Rocket/Explosive weapons: Quake has the best rocket launcher and Quake also has a grenade launcher which Doom doesn't. (Quake wins here)

7) Super/Special weapon: Quake has the lightning gun but it has nothing on Doom's BFG. (Doom wins here)

Overall I like Doom's weapons more, even if Quake's weapons are more balanced.

You just won the thread. 

Now that I look at it, comparing Doom & Quake's weapons is like apples and oranges. They are both satisfying in their own ways.

5 minutes ago, Capellan said:

The super nailgun is adequate.  Quake's SSG is awful and anemic and sounds like ass.  The thunderbolt is rubbish.

This is all IMO, though.  If you like them, that's perfectly legit.  I hate stealth games, for instance, but it doesn't make other people wrong to like them; it just means we have different tastes.

Agreed. 

I like Quake even though I think that it isn't as fun as Doom is. Weapons are a big factor in this. Ultimately they feel underwhelming and uninspired to me. The axe is ok-ish but I have never used it to this day, maybe just for opening secrets. Then there is a single barreled shotgun and double barreled shotgun. I wouldn't have problem with them if they didn't occupy separate weapon slots (unlike Doom where both occupy slot number 3). Nailgun and super nailgun have similar problem - they are in their core the same weapons, just with different damage output and ammo consumption. They could easily make one nailgun with an alternative mode. Once you have SNG, you don't need to use the original NG. I would understand if SNG did a little higher damage output with double the ammo consumption (that way you would need to consider if it is worth it you) but it's exactly 2 nails for single double damage shot. Even the accuracy is the same. The only advantage is it's higher DPS. And than there are grenade and rocket launchers... Both good weapons but again, you could have just rocket launcher with alternative mode that behaves like grenade launcher. There are 8 weapons in total and most of them feel like duplicates of another.

That isn't a case of Doom for the most part. The only problem I see is a gun vs chaingun since when you obtain the latter you don't have to use the former anymore.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:42 AM, ReaperAA said:

Doom's chaingun has a little slower firerate (525rpm) than Quake's nailguns, which both fire at the same firerate (600rpm). Doom's plasmagun has a little faster firerate (700rpm) than Quake's nailguns. Doom64 has the CG / PG firerates flipped around. Also CG tapping for perfect accuracy for long distance shooting.

I liked the Lasergun and Lavanails from the expansion packs. Multirockets felt rather overpowered. Plasmagun was cool too, but in my most recent playthroughs something's broken in it, and usually it doesn't fire anything. From the original weapons SNG (not in DM), GL, RL and LG feel useful, everything else not so much. Quad can make the other weapons more useful.

Ammo carrying capacity sucks in Quake, when thinking how much total damage could be done with the weapons/max ammo. Sure you get to immediately carry 100 shells, but one shell does much less damage per shot than in Doom. Only get to carry 200 nails, but in Doom you get to carry 400 bullets. Cells you get to carry 100 or 200, impulse 9 gives 200, but then it resets to 100 if pick up more cells when over 100 (or maybe this behaviour was fixed with a patch, and didn't patch every progs.dat I have). Quake's pretty generous with rockets, Doom too.

1 hour ago, TwinBeast said:

Doom's chaingun has a little slower firerate (525rpm) than Quake's nailguns, which both fire at the same firerate (600rpm). Doom's plasmagun has a little faster firerate (700rpm) than Quake's nailguns. Doom64 has the CG / PG firerates flipped around. Also CG tapping for perfect accuracy for long distance shooting.

Whoops, I just somehow felt that Doom's CG fires faster than Quake's nailgun. However Plasmagun is definitely slower than Super Nailgun when it comes to unloading ammo (because it consumes 2 ammo per shot/ 2 nails per shot which equals twice the rpm). Also while Doom's CG can be tapped for perfect accuracy, it needs the tapping otherwise it is inaccurate. The nailguns in Quake don't even require this.

I was always fun of Quake's nailgun, but in Doom every weapon has it's unique character.